German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with my 5 month old GSD since I brought him home. I feel fairly confident in simple obedience training considering my sister was a regional dog trainer for Petsmart. My sister lives in Korea now and I feel as though it is time to take him to some professional classes. I would like to know what type of training everyone has chosen for their puppy and, if you have chosen Petsmart what was your experience like?

p.s. I have asked my sister this question and obviously she has a biased opinion so I am just curious to see what everyone else has to say.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
The Petsmart training class (where I last resided)...was one of the worst places I have seen. More "spritzed" wet dogs in one room, being constantly yelled at NO! NO! NO!...what a mess!
Not a place that I would EVER recommend.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am currently taking Birbo to a trainer that specializes in GSD's. He trains police dogs and is well known as one of the best in my area. He knows the breed well . . . :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Petsmart trainers get a 2 week training course on training. I'm lucky, my trainer is very knowledgeable but I know that he will only get us to a point. I basically go to Petsmart for socialization. Afterwards I will be going to an obediance school/schutzhund club. The only reason I went with petsmart is because the guy is generally knowledgeable. He trains hunting dogs for hobby and has worked with problem dogs in the past.
So, go to your local petsmart and have a conversation. Don't be sweettalked! The other trainer tried to get us to sign up before we were ready and I just about laughed in her face...
if your not comfortable with the person, training style, personnal knowledge, whatever, walk away and go somewhere else. Go and visit and wach a session or two. Get a feel for the place and go with it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Brutus starts his puppy classes at petsmart next week... I was a bit hesitant cuz of the horror stories i've read on here but it was the only class that fit into our schedule perfectly. I'll let you know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had considered petsmarts for Rocky, but the lady I made an appointment with never showed up, so nuts to that. I went to a non brand name dog training place. It is good, but I don't know if Petsmarts would have been just as good. They were the same price. Good luck, let us know how it goes. I truly think that the trainers can show us stuff to do, but it is really up to us to follow through with consitency.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The quality of training at pet stores will vary greatly depending upon the instructor(s). Petsmart has a short (6 weeks I think but it may be different now) training course for their instructors and they require no previous dog training knowledge. So you may get an instructor who is 19, has never trained a dog before and has only had X number weeks of instructor training before teaching classes. However, some instructors at the stores are actually knowledgeable dog people with many years of training/competing experience. Go an observe class, ask the instructors questions and decide for yourself if this trainer is experienced enough for your needs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i always start with private lessons. once
my dog learns some things i go to group classes.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
where i live now there is ONE trainer at petsmart i would like to be in class with. She has a 22 week old newfie, a st. bernard who she trained from scratch and a newfie mix. Her St. was an unruly terror when she adopted him and now he's polite and well mannered and doesnt drag his 120 handler down the street on walks anymore. her newfie mix was already trained when she brought her home. her 22 week old newfie she is training for water rescue. she actually went to school to be a dog trainer and i've seen how well behaved her dogs are. The other trainer is nice and all but she doesnt own any pets which right there is a red flag for me in regards to a trainer. I wouldnt have a class with her. It depends on the instructor and how long they've been training, previous experience and in all honesty... if they have any breed prejudice. If you end up with a trainer who is prejudice against certain breeds, thats not a good sign either. basically you want to conduct an interview with the trainers before you actually dish out the funds for the class. every petsmart trainer is different some are actually good and worth it while others are terrible and should never have gotten the job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hubby and I have explored many many training options.
We finally found a great guy at petsmart for the puppy obedience class (which im using as a socialization class and then also so I can work on the commands she already knows [sit, down, here, and wait] around distractions. He is also a CGC tester so if I like his style and we all click I may stick with him for that.

We have checked out about 12 petsmarts and most of them knew very little (it's scary when Ive learned more on this site and youtube about training my pup that these "professionals" seem to know). For instance I asked it one trainer had ever worked with dogs that were to be trained as service dogs. She said that she hadnt worked with a puppy that was going to be training as a service dog but was confident that she could get us to the CGC standard since "you need it for public access" :X when I tried to nicely explain other wise she ignored me so I said no thanks. Another trainer had never worked with a handler who was in a wheel chair and said that my husband should be the primary handler ... that was a no. And another one said that there was zero difference between a handler in a chair vs one who isnt (which isnt true, some things are a little different in terms of training.... for instance heeling is scarier to a puppy who is next to rolling wheels vs feet and pulling or crossing in front of my chair could get her hurt).

In other words talk to a bunch of trainers and take notes, decide what a deal breaker is for you, and what you can work with. : )

Ive read that some folks think the training at petsmart is crap - I dont think it sucks I think you just have to find the right trainer and remember to work on the training at home, 1 hour a week isnt going to turn your pup into the obedient dog you expect him to be ...at least I dont think so - I work with Jordan daily, everytime I see a learning opportunity I put a cue with it and praise or redirect! : )

-Jess

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did not want to go to Petsmart for training, but the other trainer in our area was not available for classes during the time both my partner and I were available (we work opposite schedules so scheduling a time when we are both available can be very challenging). The only place we could find that had a class open to fit our schedule was Petsmart. I had huge reservations and we had decided that if after the first couple of classes we didn't like it, we would just quit and figure out something else as far as training (only one of us taking the dog to a class, private classes, or something else), but fortunately our trainer is really terrific. She is good with him and he is doing amazingly well. He graduates next week and will then begin intermediate classes at the same time with the same trainer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i want to take my pup to petco... not really for training but to get used to other dogs and people, they only do classes that match the puppies vaccines... later on tho i do want to use an AKC certified trainer... my training skills are equivalent to my cooking skills.. next week i plan on starting on "sit" and "leave it", his anklebiting is getting way too obnoxious, a little nibble wouldn't bother me, but he will bite the front of my shoe while im walking and i will trip over him, and i really don't wanna hurt him

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Deuce and I start a Petco class in November. I like Petco over Petsmart because they (Petco) limit their classes to only 5 dogs where Petsmart takes 15 or they cancel the class. Petsmart is $99 for 6 weeks, Petco is $100 for 6 weeks...not a big difference ;) Petco teaches a lot more in their class than Petsmart does, too.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
so petco would be a good "training" training class?
Yes. Deuce is 4 months old so we're starting the first class they offer which is a puppy class. They teach the basics like sit, stay, come, ect but the class also includes two different recalls, leave it, walk on a lose lease, say "hi", 8 fun no-pull games, ect.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I can only speak for my PetCo, but the trainer is a moron. I've posted about him on other threads, so I won't repeat it again here. Suffice to say that I wouldn't count on him teaching anyone anything - I've observed his classes on several occasions.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I can only speak for my PetCo, but the trainer is a moron. I've posted about him on other threads, so I won't repeat it again here. Suffice to say that I wouldn't count on him teaching anyone anything - I've observed his classes on several occasions.
Sorry you didn't have a good experience. My trainer is the regional trainer for Petco and she's great. :)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Oh, I've never used him as a trainer. Rayden is 7 and well past that need.

I snorted once watching him try to show an owner how to get her dog to sit. He proceeded to ask if Rayden was trained and I said "yes"
He told him to "sit" and Rayden just looked at him. He said it louder and then louder and got right in his face and told him to sit, down, speak, etc. He looked at me and said "This dog needs to be signed up right now; he doesn't even know basic commands" The whole time Rayden is looking between me and the trainer like "is this nut for real??" I gave a couple hand signals and Rayden sit, down, stand. I told him "No, he just doesn't listen to idiots"

He was forcing the dog into a sit while the owner gave the command.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am lucky because the trainer at my petsmart knows her crap! and she is great with dogs, not all petsmarts have trainers like her. i would meet the trainers first

1 - 20 of 30 Posts