German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of our training, I'm determined to socialize Zee as much as possible. The past two weeks or so, she's been going everywhere with me (at least everywhere I'm ABLE to take her, still haven't talked the boss into letting her come to work with me.)

This past Saturday, my SIL, who has a ten month old mixed breed (possible lab/mastiff/rottweiler/pitbull mix of some sort) asked if she and Hank could tag along with us to Petsmart.
Sure! Hank and Zee get along great, and since he's joined our training class, I thought it would be good for him as well.

So, we load the dogs up and off we go.

We're in Petsmart for about 45 minutes, walking around, and meeting new people and exposing the dogs to as much general shopping experience as possible.
Throughout our trip, Zee and I were stopped numerous times by people asking about her and commenting on how pretty she was. She handled herself very well... I was very proud of her. She didn't allow anyone to actually pet her, simply moved away from them. But she walked quietly, no pulling or tugging, no barking, no growling and seemed to really enjoy herself.
Hank, however, didn't do quite as well as SIL had expected. He barked and growled at most everyone who stopped us, and any dog that came within five feet of him... to the point SIL asked to use Zee's prong collar on him.

After we left, we're in the car on the way home, and SIL says to me "I can't believe how much attention Zee got. Like people have never seen a german shepherd before. It's a shame she's a nutball and couldn't relish in the attention like Hank did. I'm really surprised more people didn't ask about him."

:whistle:

:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's so funny. My muttpuppy is stinking adorable, but it's our GSD who always gets the compliments.

One day my husband and I were out walking the dogs. He crossed the street to drop a bag in the public trash. He had our GSD, Wrigley, and I had our muttpuppy. I passed a woman walking in the opposite direction and she stopped to compliment our muttpuppy, saying he was gorgeous. When the husband and I met up a block later I mentioned it to him and he said, "I guess she didn't see Wrigley."

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
when the GF and i go on hospital visits or anywhere we can take the dogs, she has Afghan hounds, I always get 90% of the complements on Max,

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the GF and i go on hospital visits or anywhere we can take the dogs, she has Afghan hounds, I always get 90% of the complements on Max,
Now that surprises me! I'd have thought the Afghans would get more comments, simply because they're not as common.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Man, people sure are in denial about their dogs.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would say the comment was fuelled by jealousy, your dog was behaving great and hers wasn't

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
she was being sarcastic and funny.

As part of our training, I'm determined to socialize Zee as much as possible. The past two weeks or so, she's been going everywhere with me (at least everywhere I'm ABLE to take her, still haven't talked the boss into letting her come to work with me.)

This past Saturday, my SIL, who has a ten month old mixed breed (possible lab/mastiff/rottweiler/pitbull mix of some sort) asked if she and Hank could tag along with us to Petsmart.
Sure! Hank and Zee get along great, and since he's joined our training class, I thought it would be good for him as well.

So, we load the dogs up and off we go.

We're in Petsmart for about 45 minutes, walking around, and meeting new people and exposing the dogs to as much general shopping experience as possible.
Throughout our trip, Zee and I were stopped numerous times by people asking about her and commenting on how pretty she was. She handled herself very well... I was very proud of her. She didn't allow anyone to actually pet her, simply moved away from them. But she walked quietly, no pulling or tugging, no barking, no growling and seemed to really enjoy herself.
Hank, however, didn't do quite as well as SIL had expected. He barked and growled at most everyone who stopped us, and any dog that came within five feet of him... to the point SIL asked to use Zee's prong collar on him.

>>>>> After we left, we're in the car on the way home, and SIL says to me "I can't believe how much attention Zee got. Like people have never seen a german shepherd before. It's a shame she's a nutball and couldn't relish in the attention like Hank did. I'm really surprised more people didn't ask about him." <<<<<

:whistle:

:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
766 Posts
One lady at that was taking her pup to get groomed asked the front desk at Banfield to pull me out of my room to see my pup. I complied since the doc didn't see him yet but it was weird x.x' GSD's i think get a lot of attention haha

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think so too, we get a lot of bug eyed stares and "that's a big dog!" And we also get compliments on how calm and well behaved he is. :D GSDs aren't really common around where I live, though.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
GSDs are just the type of dog no one ever gets tired of seeing. I've seen my fill of Labs, Goldens, and Pits. Not saying they aren't beautiful dogs, but they seem like they are everywhere. There are a few GSDs floating around here, but you don't see them very often. I've never seen an ugly PB GSD...ever. Even if the ears don't stand or the dog is too big or too small, they all look beautiful. Even GSD mixes still stand out in the crowd.

As for your sister, pffft on her. The hubby would get very jealous when we'd walk both Cheyenne (tri color collie) and Finn together, but people would always beeline for Finn and dote on him about how pretty he was and they'd ignore Cheyenne who was beautiful in her own right. (When groomed up right, she looked like something out of a movie.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
GSD are simply beautiful elegant strong looking dogs and hard to ignore. I've never seen an ugly one. We get comments all the time because we have sables and people are used to black/tan. Bell is gorgeous with an unusual coat and almost amber eyes so we've had people on two occasions stop their cars and ask about her. Now that we have two, when we walk them together we get more even more comments. It's kind of funny, because my male is under weight right now(EPI) and has crazy weird long legs and zero grace(think giant puppy who clomps) but they still think he's beautiful. I think so too!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think some of the attraction to the GSD`s from people, is they always see them on the news as police dogs going after the bad guy, at airports, Military working dogs, which we all know for the most part are un-approachable, once at the vets, my vet called in her partner for a second opinion, the second vets said, "it was nice to examine a GSD without the fear of getting your face bit off "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts