German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take Shasta to Petsmart a couple times a week to work on her socialization and obedience training with distractions. She's been doing pretty good with everything i expect of her when we're out. She's friendly with other dogs (a little too friendly sometimes but we're working on it) and she's generally pretty friendly with people (tolerant is more like it) but she's great with kids.

Well we were there for a couple hours just practicing sit, down and heel and proper greetings and such. There was a beautiful shepherd who was 19 months old. She's dog friendly and does very well on her obedience but her owner is a douche and just refuses to allow his dog to meet another dog or any other people. He's one of those owners most of us cant stand because instead of allowing the dog to show the potential, he's preventing.

Anyway thats not important. I dont allow Shasta to socialize unless the other owner is okay with it. Another GSD came in. I've spoken with the owners before so i know the dogs history so i dont fault her behavior. She was nervous too.

Well Shasta seemed to forget her manners and a slower greeting and ended up with her nose in another dogs mouth. Needless to say the other GSDs owners were very concerned about Shasta. Shasta decided after that she needed to be a little more mellow in her greetings with other dogs after that. However, she spent the rest of our time at petsmart, either hiding behind me, or trying to avoid other dogs in general. I know i'm going to have to step up her socialization and training even more now. I think after a couple times she'll be back to her normal self. She has a good temperment and isnt usually phased by much so i think she'll be fine mentally. Physically she's sporting a bloody spot on her muzzle and some missing fur but she's good. She jumped right into playing with Riley and Shelby when we got home. We'll see.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Poor girl! I think it's great that you bring her places to socialize her. We do the same with Brody and he's too friendly also. I'm sure if you keep bringing her even though she may be scared, she'll figure out that not all dogs are buttheads :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well we were there for a couple hours just practicing sit, down and heel and proper greetings and such. There was a beautiful shepherd who was 19 months old. She's dog friendly and does very well on her obedience but her owner is a douche and just refuses to allow his dog to meet another dog or any other people. He's one of those owners most of us cant stand because instead of allowing the dog to show the potential, he's preventing.
Are you there for a class or just walking around the store training your dog? If this isn't in a class, being pissy about someone that doesn't want other dogs near theirs, is way off base.

I don't want any strange dog coming up to mine in public. I don't know you and don't know if your dog has manners or not - don't care either. The other dog could try and jump on my dog either causing a dog fight or permanently damaging my dog's dog friendly attitude. I compete all the time with my dog and would personally strangle anyone that wrecks my dog's attitude.

Anyone that tries this, is going to get a major earfull from me and possibly my foot in their dog's face. I see stupid people all the time running up to other dogs in public saying "my dog is friendly let's let them play" and the dog is a menace. My dog comes first and I don't care about anyone else and their dog.

·
Registered
16,006 Posts
I think a "couple of hours" in Petsmart is over doing it. I might spend 15 to 20 minutes with my dog in a pet store. We do training in maybe as much as 15 minute increments. Sometimes it is just a quick in and out. I really don't want to exceed a threshold.

Of course I am also one of those people who "do not allow their dog to show their full potential" -- that is, they are not there to play with other dogs or stick their noses up another dog's butt or into it's face. The late Barker Sisters knew that they weren't there to greet other dogs.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Poor Shasta!

My Shasta wants to be friendly, but after all the barking, lunging and hackling, most other owners are interested. Why do you suppose that is? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you there for a class or just walking around the store training your dog? If this isn't in a class, being pissy about someone that doesn't want other dogs near theirs, is way off base.

I don't want any strange dog coming up to mine in public. I don't know you and don't know if your dog has manners or not - don't care either. The other dog could try and jump on my dog either causing a dog fight or permanently damaging my dog's dog friendly attitude. I compete all the time with my dog and would personally strangle anyone that wrecks my dog's attitude.

Anyone that tries this, is going to get a major earfull from me and possibly my foot in their dog's face. I see stupid people all the time running up to other dogs in public saying "my dog is friendly let's let them play" and the dog is a menace. My dog comes first and I don't care about anyone else and their dog.

jesus. hostile much? ((directed more towards your tone in the message and not your outlook))

·
Registered
207 Posts
The OP referred to people who don't want their dog nosing with every other dog on the planet "douches" that "aren't allowing their dog to show their potential".

Seems hostile to me and deserving of a hostile response.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

okay seriously THATS what you pick out of the story? really? as for your question, NO i was NOT there for class. I dont do obedience classes with my dogs and if i did it certainly wouldnt be at petsmart unless there was a darn good trainer there. In this case, there is a trainer there i would be more than happy to be in class with. Second, I dont allow the dogs to just rush in. I dont like when other dogs rush us. One of the reasons we do the distraction training at petsmart is because it helps to teach my dogs to approach in a nicer manner. Nobody walks their dogs in my neighborhood. The ones who DO walk their dogs, i avoid them like the plague. Their dogs are unruly, untrained, and just horrible.

I prefer my dogs be socialized with people and other animals hence another reason we go out where theres bound to be people and wouldnt you know it.... other animals! Its funny because everyone on this board is so big on socializing so we DONT have those menace type dogs you mention yet i'm apparently getting flamed for training and socializing.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OP referred to people who don't want their dog nosing with every other dog on the planet "douches" that "aren't allowing their dog to show their potential".

Seems hostile to me and deserving of a hostile response.

well if thats what everyone is so touchy about, i'll elaborate. The "douche" in question got under my skin because of his 'i'm better than everyone around me" attitude, not just because of his attitude regarding anyone merely asking about his dog. I'm a person who in interested in other dogs. I ask questions. I obviously have a GSD and am one of those owners who get excited when i see someone else with a GSD because for me, thats a rare sight.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. You're getting flamed for passing judgment on what another person wants to do with their dog. You started it by calling them a douche.
Flamed? Disagreeing with you is flaming?

I'm just amazed how people seem to enjoy throwing threads completely off topic and keeping it there. YES, the guy was a douche. I didnt want to meet him. I simply asked how old his dog was and was curious where he got her. She's a beautiful dog. Its hard not to ask. HOWEVER, the holier than thou attitude guy is NOT the main in the thread. Its THIS kind of picking and choosing that not only drives people off, but keeps them from coming back and asking questions. Stop being so judgemental. Nobody is perfect and they shouldnt act like it.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I think so really nice that people are showing so much concern about Shasta getting hurt and offering suggestions about how to help her get over any residual fear. Way to go, guys.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hope Shasta is ok. I don't really have any suggestions, but it sounds like you know what you are doing, and I'm sure she will be fine.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I think so really nice that people are showing so much concern about Shasta getting hurt and offering suggestions about how to help her get over any residual fear. Way to go, guys.

Well said.....agreed. Thank you.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Paula

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I really don't think this thread was about the guy. Don't know why you guys are picking that out when thats not what the thread is about. Talk about passing judgement.

Anyways, I hope Shasta is ok and will get better.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really don't think this thread was about the guy. Don't know why you guys are picking that out when thats not what the thread is about.

Anyways, I hope Shasta is ok and will get better.

Thank you jessica. Shasta physically will be okay. Its just a small spot and will heal up pretty quick. Cleaned it up with some warm water and hubby ran an alcohol pad over it and rubbed some neosporin on it. Soon as he was done, she ran right over and started beating up on Riley lol. We'll see how she does in the next couple days. Going to take her to the private owned pet supply store tomorrow with different smells and distractions and then may venture to petsmart. I think she'll be fine after a good nights sleep.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think it is great that you take Shasta out to socialize. I wished I lived closer to a Petsmart where I could take Jamie Lee to. Your post reminded me it is time to take Jamie to the vet for a weight update and then a trip to Tractor Supply so thanks!

Btw glad Shasta is ok.:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it is great that you take Shasta out to socialize. I wished I lived closer to a Petsmart where I could take Jamie Lee to. Your post reminded me it is time to take Jamie to the vet for a weight update and then a trip to Tractor Supply so thanks!

Btw glad Shasta is ok.:)

Thanks Leslie. Shasta weighed in at 54 lbs this evening when i weighed her so she's doing pretty good. BTW, how is Victor doing on his training? I know you're still having issues with him but any progress with his sudden attacking your other dog?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts