German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making my weekly stop at one of the local rescues this evening,when a lady and her new husband walked in with 4 dogs (11 year old Cocker Spaniel,5 Year Old Husky,14 Year old Golden Mix and a 2 Year old Shepherd/Lab mix).

It was clear that she loved the dogs on some level and had taken excellent care of them.She even brought in all of their vet records and all of their supplies,even though that's not required.

After answering all of the preliminary questions for surrender and saying that all of the dogs were well behaved( which was obvious), her reason for surrender:

New husband doesn't want the dogs because he's not an animal person!

I know everyone is different,but it seems like that is an important requirement if you are going to be with someone and you love your pets!

The woman was very emotional and said her goodbyes to her dogs,while her husband just stood there with a smug look. He didn't even offer any consolation to his wife,considering that she did this for him.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It wasn't even an allergy?! I'd rather be single that have to live without my babies...alone with a jerk like that.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it wasn't an allergy,the dogs weren't destructive or anything.He just doesn't like animals. I guess the woman felt like he is worth it. According to her, the dogs were always indoors,but because he protested so much,she moved them outside.Apparently that became a problem,and so to the rescue the dogs went. I am glad this rescue has a high rate of successful adoptions, and foster homes. This does take spots that other dogs could use though:(.

It was really sad and I could see that this woman was hurting,but her 'main squeeze' was looking at his watch and becoming increasingly impatient as if he had somewhere to go!

The two older dogs actually went home for a short term foster with a staff member because they were concerned about the stress of being in the kennel.

It wasn't even an allergy?! I'd rather be single that have to live without my babies...alone with a jerk like that.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
That is heart breaking. No partner is worth that. No partner who loved the other partner would force that.

Reminds me of when I went to rescue Tucker. The woman was non-emotional for the most part, but said good bye to him at least. She then poked her head inside the door and yelled at her boyfriend and kids -- did they want to come say goodbye?

They didn't. He was nothing more than the pita that lived in the back yard to them.

My boyfriend wasn't a dog person when he moved in, but he quickly and clearly received the "message." Dog here first, dog here last. Period.

That woman is going to live to really regret that decision.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If a spouse loved you at all they'd never make you get rid of your pets. I wish that woman good luck, because she is not going to have a happy future.

If I worked at the rescue I would not have been able to stop myself from chewing out that douchebag of a husband. And I'd chew her out too for dooming her animals by marrying someone like that. If this kind of an issue hasn't been discussed sometime in the relationship, you aren't ready to get married.

At least she didn't have children and he turned out to hate kids, because she'd probably be making stops at the orphanage too.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
This woman is a complete moron, an 11 and 14 year old dog???? Those dogs were FAR more loyal than that *** Removed by Mod ***she's marrying , she's one desperate broad, if she thinks this man was worth it she's in for a rude awakening, I could never be with someone who made me abandon my pets, and in fact I was once engaged to a guy who while not really into animals at least realized I was, than reality hit me in the head like an axe when not
15 minutes after a much anticipated foal was born he asked how old did it have to be before "we" sold it, I realized I was looking more forward to the foals future than my life with him, so I high-tailed it out of that relationship, never regretted one second, and I kept that foal till he died last year at 23, he meant far more to me!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
How horrible, especially for the older dogs. I told the boy on day one that Sasha was #1 and that wasn't going to change, regardless of what went on between us. I also told him I would always have at least one dog and would prefer to have two or three. It was made clear I didn't do many things if they didn't involve Sasha (not fair to her after she's spent X amount of time in a crate due to school or work). Any jerk that makes you get rid of something you love for them, doesn't love you. I don't like cats but if the boy's cat had to move in with us after we got married, then I'd buy a litter box and adapt. That's just what you do.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
How horrible, especially for the older dogs..
Giving up any dog is awful (for this woman's "reasons,") but to give them up as they're nearing their last years? I just cannot imagine. How does someone spend 10, 12, 14 YEARS with a dog and walk away... over a MAN?

I don't get it. I can only pray those older dogs can find a happy home, somewhere that an older couple, or less active family, can give them a nice, peaceful end to their days. I hope the younger ones can find a good home as well... ugh... it is just upsetting no matter how you look at it.

I personalize these things a bit much. My dogs could live and be healthy and happy with someone else.. but THIS is the home they know... I am the human they really know. I wouldn't dream of displacing them over something as unimportant as an idiot who "demanded" such a thing.

I'm sorry this woman has been so blindsided by an absolute selfish jerk excuse for a human being.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was pretty amazing how this man was almost proud while his wife was crying her eyes out! You could really cut the hatred from him with a knife!
He certainly had more compassion for his BMW SUV that was parked outside,as he kept checking on it everytime someone walked by:rolleyes:.

The 'good' side to all of this is that the 11 and 14 year old were able to go to a temp foster with a staff member, and a family that has an approved application on file is looking for a Husky to adopt, so that may work out.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Wow! :confused: No allergies? New spouse doesn't like dogs!?
That should've been a red flag BEFORE she married him!

I believe ownership of a dog is a responsibility that you take on until the end...or a terrible situation causes you to forfeit the dog.

One of our GSD rescues came from a domestic violence situation at age 5 because the husband threatened to KILL the dog...he had abused her for the entire time and the wife couldn't take it anymore. We took her in and she lived with us for 8 years. The poor girl ( Keena) cowered at any hand movement and didn't bark for 7 months....took a long time to gain our trust.

Maybe the woman could foresee this as well? I personally wouldn't have married a man like that!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When I first met my boyfriend 4 years, part of the conversation was about the pets I had at the time. It was 5 cats and 1 dog. He mentioned he was allergic to cats and I mentioned that the cats would not go anywhere. Well 4 years later I still have the boyfriend, 5 cats, and 3 dogs. I was lucky because he became somewhat immune to the cats(although) he's not a cat person at all. He even has rescued two stray cats for me, because they were black cats and it was close to Halloween and I didn't want them outside. Under no circumstances would I get rid of my pets or even get involved with someone that required this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How incredibly sad for the dogs and the woman. At least the dogs made it to a rescue shelter... I have a feeling the woman might need one at some point, too. :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
How disgusting.

I have not met Ms. Right yet, but when/if I do, I'm walking straight away no matter how perfect she is otherwise, if there are any caveats about my pets.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts