German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, Im confused and a little peeved at the moment. I took Zack up to Petco In meridian, MS. today to pick up some food and a Kong for him because hes been staying at home a bit during the holidays. Not 30 seconds after we walked in the trainer there came up to me and wanted Zack to get in the Play Date pen with a bunch of very small dogs who were barking and growling up a storm! I basically said no we are just here for food and kept walking. I wasnt going to let him go in there with strange dogs, who id/he had never met, i wasnt told if they had their shots or asked for a vaccination card or anything! There were like 6-7 dogs in there, none of which were larger than a yorkie.

She came back up to me in the isle where I was letting him check out some toys and stuff that he liked.

I had been having some allergy problems with him and they sell Blue Buffalo, so we are trying to again and he likes it this time~! (But thats not why im posting)

Ive never had someone try to push so hard for me to get him into puppy training in my life! She tried to take the leash from me because he was playing with this little girl and her dog, doing fine i might add, and she kept tugging on him saying that my tension was flowing down the leash to him. I was kind of baffled, he was fine until she came up and starting getting in his face. I was not happy at all! i asked the little girl to get her dog because he was getting very aggrivated and all the sudden got very tense, and started barking. He was ears back tail tucked and wagging just playing and being completely friendly before this.

We went to the counter to check out and she brought me a bunch of papers and kept pushing me to take the basic puppy training there. I socialize him constantly with many dogs, people etc. Ive never seen him so irritated at a person the entire time Ive had him.

I was thinking to myself, if he nor I even like you how am i going to pay to have you train my dog?! :mad:

So there was this huge pen with all these dogs and she went to take him over there the entire time me telling her I dont think thats a good idea I dont know those dogs and I dont know if they have had their shots and they were barking constantly growling and two of them had even gotten in a small spat while i was in the store, hes 4 months on tuesday and these dogs are very small and hes going through his fear stage, so i was being very respectful and so was all the other people in the store it was great minus that trainer.

She kept talking about how much experience she had how much good it would do him, and during this whole time she kept shoving this little mixed breed in his face. I asked about the CGC class i saw on the paper because that is something i would be interested in, only to be told the ones for Dec. Had been canceled because no one signed up! i wanted to say.. "duh!"

I am looking for a good training in my area since hes past the basic obedience and i would like to socialize him more and get him more focused with distraction. But, not like this.

I dunno what to do, I have searched the area for a good trainer to no avail. The closest one is in Jackson over 3 hours away.

Anyone else have a bad experience like this? If me and my dog are both annoyed at the trainer is it a pretty good bet im not going to take him there. Ive went in without him before and never been hassled like this. I was kinda dumbfounded as I was leaving because she was in his face, pushing and pulling him closer to these little dogs when all he wanted to do was come back to me.

Am I wrong for being annoyed by this? Ive never heard of a trainer pushing the sale so hard and getting far far to close in his face with herself and other dogs, I couldn't believe it! :confused::( We got in the car and you could tell he was just completely stressed out and all i wanted was to go get some food and let him meet other kids and dogs in a controlled environment with distraction and see how he did.

Id say almost everyone else in the store was just as respectful and nice as they could be, everyone asked if it was okay to pet him, if he was dog friendly, children friendly everything. He did fine otherwise but towards the end I just wanted to get out of there because he went from loose leash friendly quiet puppy to raging barking pulling and just irritated all around.

·
Registered
31,973 Posts
You were way nicer than I would have been. I would have told her that she obviously didn't have a clue and she better back off my dog right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were way nicer than I would have been. I would have told her that she obviously didn't have a clue and she better back off my dog right now.

Ive never seen him so annoyed before, hes never like that. I really couldnt believe a trainer would get a dog so worked up and frightened, i was straight up with her and told her hes going through a fear stage and that i didnt think it was a good idea right now. I really was as nice as i could be but by the end I was starting to get really annoyed and I know that its a mistake to get that way and I know he knew it his attitude changed so drastically it was just mind blowing.

/frustrated >>

·
Registered
31,973 Posts
They can feel your tension through the leash...the problem is the trainer was causing the tension. I've learned that sometimes you really have to be very firm with some people. "I told you No, Thank You, now excuse us" And if that doesn't work I'll flat out tell them they are making me mad. I would never let a stranger walk up and grab my dog's leash and no good trainer would ever do that. That would have been the end of it for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They can feel your tension through the leash...the problem is the trainer was causing the tension. I've learned that sometimes you really have to be very firm with some people. "I told you No, Thank You, now excuse us" And if that doesn't work I'll flat out tell them they are making me mad. I would never let a stranger walk up and grab my dog's leash and no good trainer would ever do that. That would have been the end of it for me.

After I asked the little girl to get her dog because of his attitude change i got the leash back from the "trainer" and went into another isle, the mom of the little girl came up to me again and said sorry. I was like ohh it wasnt you guys at all. I apologized for his attitude change and said i hope he didnt scare the little girl. She said no the little girl and dog was fine and that she could tell that he got annoyed. Im a very relaxed person and ive never felt so tense with my dog in the entire time ive owned him. I just couldnt believe that I know how easy they can sense your feelings in a situation and by the end i think we were both just .. excuse my language pissed off and ready to get out of there.

The bad thing is, it couldve been a very great experience for him, and i do not want him child or dog aggressive and the trainer kept acting like it was my fault he was acting this way and i felt bad! i actually felt horrible that he was acting this way and had to catch myself and tell him it was okay once we got in the car. i wanted to sock her in the face for that wont even lie lmao:D

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I've had those people accost me when I'm just running in for some treats or something quick. I always take a dog just because. The last lady was quizzing me about Ron (my almost 1yo male GSD) and telling me that I better start getting him under control, yadda yadda! I asked her how many titles she's put on dogs, hers or other peoples and of course it was none. She told me she was "certified" and I told her that the only certification I accept is the trial field. I didn't care what kind of trial, although Schutzhund was my preference, but I'd be fine with herding, AKC obedience, whatever. I pointed out to her that my dog had stayed on a "Platz" during the entire conversation, which was all the manners I needed for a stop at the store!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can sympathize with you. I had something like that happen, except it was with a customer. I won't go into it here, but I got flat-assed rude with her and TOLD her to leave Kelly alone.

I think I would go back up there (minus the dog) and have a chat with the manager, and depending on their attitude, would affect mine.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
First of all, I'd never ever let anyone hold my dogs leash unless I knew and trusted them. Not fair to the dog at all.
I wouldn't have been nice to that trainer either, she was out of line and overbearing.
I really don't think Petco's are a "controlled" environment for socializing, there is always one reactive dog or several and you never know what may be around the next isle.
The scents and noise can be overloading to a dog, even though we may think it is not stressful, it really can be(especially the scents)
I would also talk with a manager, just as an FYI so this trainer doesn't scare off other customers or have a fight on her hands because of the way she introduces dogs.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh wow I would have lost it when she took the leash. I am afraid I would have said some not so nice things. If I were you I would call the manager and complain about her conduct. It may or may not help depending on if they are the ones that encourage that.

Keep looking for another trainer you are sure to find one but not her!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, I'd never ever let anyone hold my dogs leash unless I knew and trusted them. Not fair to the dog at all.
I wouldn't have been nice to that trainer either, she was out of line and overbearing.
I really don't think Petco's are a "controlled" environment for socializing, there is always one reactive dog or several and you never know what may be around the next isle.
The scents and noise can be overloading to a dog, even though we may think it is not stressful, it really can be(especially the scents)
I would also talk with a manager, just as an FYI so this trainer doesn't scare off other customers or have a fight on her hands because of the way she introduces dogs.

I didnt intend for her to take the leash, I didnt ask her to, she didnt ask. She took it and said it was me who was making him tense because i was getting irritated by the situation. Thats when he started acting up. She took him and started walking off with him to put him in the pen with the other smaller dogs and i stopped her. The other dogs owners looked at me like i was bad owner. I felt awful >> Its just Bullsh*t to put someone in that position. It was inappropriate and i honestly dont blame zack for it now. At the time i was really worried but the more i think about it the more i just realize that she put us in that position. At least no one got bitten. Thats all i care about, that and i came home and took him for a walk to the church yard to play with him some and let him get out a bit. He seemed really stressed and shy when we left there. I feel bad i will never put him in that position again. I didnt realize one persons actions in that short of a period of time could have such an effect on my dog. The worst part is it was the **** trainer that did it not the customers in the store. >>

·
Registered
31,973 Posts
I would call the manager. You told her once that you didn't want him in the pen with the other puppies and she then proceeded to take your dog without your permission. I absolutely would be calling the manager.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've never EVER had a trainer- no, anyone- take the leash for any reason without my permission and for a specific reason. I would have yelled "Stop, thief- she's stealing my dog!!" I would definitely go and talk to the manager

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think controlled is a bad word, i meant i knew there would be dogs people etc that he could go socialize with. Not one dog besides the ones in the play pen where any problems. There was only two outside of it, one was another GSD and one was a aussy. They were very well behaved and sweet as were the children. As soon as the trainer was gone, he was fine, but as soon as she came back he got mean. I was like wow lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, you were so nice and restrained. I would immediately have ordered a manager to be paged. It could be that you just have one of those really friendly faces that makes strangers think they can immediately take advantage of you or start bossing you around.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I've been in petco's and petsmarts where there are dogs that are reactive. You were lucky at that moment there were all social dogs. Too bad the trainers vibes were so tense...I'm sure others have felt her effects as well.
A controlled environment in my opinion is one where everyone is on the same page as far as training, and know how to control their dogs. Those places are far and few between. Is Meridian the largest town closest to you?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been in petco's and petsmarts where there are dogs that are reactive. You were lucky at that moment there were all social dogs. Too bad the trainers vibes were so tense...I'm sure others have felt her effects as well.
A controlled environment in my opinion is one where everyone is on the same page as far as training, and know how to control their dogs. Those places are far and few between. Is Meridian the largest town closest to you?

yes it is and yes you are absolutely right. Its no wonder why this woman has no clients, i had mentioned i had asked about the cgc and was told it was canceled. I can see why.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, you were so nice and restrained. I would immediately have ordered a manager to be paged. It could be that you just have one of those really friendly faces that makes strangers think they can immediately take advantage of you or start bossing you around.

I dont know if I have a friendly face i guess but i also will only take so much, this is my dog, hes my responsibility and my friend and if someone had acted that was towards a human friend i wouldve restrained but still gotten them out of the situation. lol

I posted a pic on the owner thread, maybe i do lol

But still... it was uncalled for.

·
Registered
31,950 Posts
It sounds like the individual was given a review telling him/her that she needed to sign more People up for their training classes if she wants to keep the position.

I would not be surprised.

I think you should call the store manager and tell them that you will not shop their anymore if you are harrassed to join their training classes.

It is true that as you got more and more frustrated with that woman, your pup was picking up on it. So you really have to maintain your calm for your pups sake. So with a gigantic smile all over your face, calmly and quietly tell the person accosting you: "if you do not stop bothering me, I will call your boss and complain."

If THAT does not stop them, then you are dealing with a lunatic. Keep interface to zero.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like the individual was given a review telling him/her that she needed to sign more People up for their training classes if she wants to keep the position.

I would not be surprised.

I think you should call the store manager and tell them that you will not shop their anymore if you are harrassed to join their training classes.

It is true that as you got more and more frustrated with that woman, your pup was picking up on it. So you really have to maintain your calm for your pups sake. So with a gigantic smile all over your face, calmly and quietly tell the person accosting you: "if you do not stop bothering me, I will call your boss and complain."

If THAT does not stop them, then you are dealing with a lunatic. Keep interface to zero.

Well hopefully i wont have to be in that situation and yea i did get irritated i had no idea she was going to do that. I tried to keep my cool but when she took the leash i know anyone could tell i was pissed. If a salesperson was pushy and you said no and came up to you and took the leash you wouldve been pissed too. I know how badly it can go so i will be more prepared for next time, but ive never been in that situation before and yes i probably couldve been calmer but jesus lol

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
The leash would never have touched the hands of that trainer...though my dogs are a bit intimidating. I doubt she would even try! How old is your pup?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts