German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I guess define retired. As long as they are still active, mentally engaged and bonded with you, are they really "retired"? Are they just retired from a certain sport, or retired from being mentally and physically active with you, period? If it is just from a certain activity and life goes on doing different stuff and being engaged with their handler I would not expect a huge hiccup. If they were hero to zero, like made into the type of family dog that gets fed, let out in the yard, and pat on the head when people left and came in, I'd expect behavior and frustration to exhibit.

I did structured IGP training exactly twice since October. But, they get a long daily walk with a stop off for 2 ball and I work OB in throughout the walk in periods. Playground apparatus along the way. etc. They also take turns running errands with me. Even if they wait in the truck they feel involved and valued.

I think a working dog feels like a working working dog if they are involved with their handler and feel valued. And decent structured exercise and tasks peppered in. Period.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've seen that my senior rescue pet dog has a drive to create his own "Work"!
When we go on our rambles, he likes to track/trail feral cats. When he flushes one out, he is very excited and looks at me with a triumphant expression: "Yay, found it!!" When I leave the house, his self-assigned "job" is apparently to stand there looking out the window for long periods of time. In general he seems happy and satisfied to be given a command, obey it, and get praised/rewarded.

I think that working dogs have an innate desire to "work" and focus, and when not given tasks/duties, they kind of create their own (i.e. they may decide to excavate the flower bed or kill the sofa cushions...) But if given physical and mental stimulation, I think they're contented (they don't care whether it's a paying job. :)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts