German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great gal coming to my house to petsit while I go on vacation. She will stay here off and on during the 10 days I am gone. She can spend the night since she works close by. I have five GSD, 10 yrs, 4 yrs, 3 years and TWO four month old puppies, yes I have two. I have space, crates, gates etc but its a lot to manage. What is a the fair price to pay her this job. I would not be able to leave without her help:help:
Thanks,
Cathie

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
So I'm assuming she'll be staying at the house?

I have done alot of petsitting but don't stay in the home, and didn't care for that many dogs, espec a couple of rambunctious puppies.

I'd say 50$ a day minimum. I'm sure she wont have to tend to them 24/7 because she has a job herself, but yes it's alot to manage, I would think about what it would cost to 'board' them all, which I'm sure would be more than 50$ a day and they most likely wouldn't get as much attention as someone in the home.

Ok I admit it, I'm rambling.:) IF I were to do it, I"d probably charge 75$ a day..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
get a few prices on the going rate for a sitter to come in or to stay
at your house. that will give you an idea of what to pay. ask the
person who's going to doggy-sit what they charge.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well, $18 p/dog p/day is a great middle ground for large dogs (with a playtime or an 'extra' something at the kennel) in my area. You can pay less if you want to board them in what is essentially a crate with no time outside or more if you have a luxury facility in your area, but for ease let's hit the sweet spot. You have five dogs, so that's $90 per day to board them all.

The kennel doesn't have to socialize with your dogs, clean your carpets or crates in case of a mess, feed your food, or travel to and from your home. Chances are it'll be in the $75 a day zone at least to have a pet sitter; I'd say you wouldn't have much to complain about at that price! :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Is this person a professional pet-sitter, or just someone you know who offered to house-sit for you? Is she licensed, bonded, insured? If so, she will be setting her own rates, and IMO deserves a premium price, especially if she is staying at the house and getting your mail, watering plants, making the house look occupied, etc. What I would consider "premium" would come near to or equal to what you would pay if you boarded your dogs at a professional boarding facility. It's still a good deal, since you get the extra convenience of someone coming to your home, providing security, your dogs being less stressed, etc.

If this is just someone you know who is willing to do a one-off job for you... what are they asking? If they aren't sure how much to ask, I'd take a look at local boarding rates as a baseline, and offer about 60-75% of what they would charge you.

For example, I charge $25 per day per dog if they board with me. So if you have five dogs, boarding them would cost $125 a day. So offering $75-85 per day for someone to come to your house isn't too bad.

Or, you could offer to exchange house-sitting services with her--bartering, as it were.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[ You have five dogs, so that's $90 per day to board them all.

The kennel doesn't have to socialize with your dogs, clean your carpets or crates in case of a mess, feed your food, or travel to and from your home. Chances are it'll be in the $75 a day zone at least to have a pet sitter; I'd say you wouldn't have much to complain about at that price! :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks! That sounds good. Was thinking at least that much too. It's a big job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this person a professional pet-sitter, or just someone you know who offered to house-sit for you? Is she licensed, bonded, insured? If so, she will be setting her own rates, and IMO .....

For example, I charge $25 per day per dog if they board with me. So if you have five dogs, boarding them would cost $125 a day. So offering $75-85 per day for someone to come to your house isn't too bad.

Or, you could offer to exchange house-sitting services with her--bartering, as it were.
She is not a professional but she helps out this way to make extra money and has helped quite a few friends. I think she could be pro if she wanted. She is extremely good and trains GSD. A couple of mine are a challenge.
Thanks everyone. I am thinking 75. To 100. Everyone has been a big help.
Cath

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Cathie,

It's a shame you don't live near me. My two college students are currently house/pet-sitting for someone. Ten days, three dogs, multiple cats and, since it is on a horse farm, they are periodically asked to hold a horse or two. They are making a grand total of $180.00. $18.00 per day and they will split it. LOL! Today, they were cleaning the house.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Cathie,

It's a shame you don't live near me. My two college students are currently house/pet-sitting for someone. Ten days, three dogs, multiple cats and, since it is on a horse farm, they are periodically asked to hold a horse or two. They are making a grand total of $180.00. $18.00 per day and they will split it. LOL! Today, they were cleaning the house.
Wow. I'd pay 'em $18/day to clean over here!

Cathie, I missed your location, apparently - we're in E WA as well!
We have a rescue over here so if you ever need anything dog related, holler.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I normally pay $20 a visit, 3 visits a day. Right now its for 3 dogs, 2 cats & 1 horse. I also throw in extra during the winter for snow storms.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My pet sitter stays at the house, brings her dog (who goes to daycare with my dogs) and I stock the fridge with homemade food (she's a poor college student lol). I have 3 dogs, 4 cats and a salamander. I pay $40 a day plus gas for the week. Usually I leave my vehicle full of gas to use.

For just an overnight it's only $30.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have someone stay at the house when we go away and I've had 5 dogs... right now have 4.

She's been dog sitting for us for 6 years now...... she's a friend of a friend.

I give her $30.00 dollars per day, plus about $70 dollars in groceries for her while she's there.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Depending on how well you know her,you may want to consider paying her when you return or half when you leave and the other half when you return. I've had a person take off and not even come back to take care of my dogs after I paid her $400 ahead of time....I don't want to worry you,but you can never be too careful sometimes:).

·
Registered
132 Posts
My pet sitter stays at the house, brings her dog (who goes to daycare with my dogs) and I stock the fridge with homemade food (she's a poor college student lol). I have 3 dogs, 4 cats and a salamander. I pay $40 a day plus gas for the week. Usually I leave my vehicle full of gas to use.

For just an overnight it's only $30.
I'm a poor college student! :) Pick me! lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts