German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been around dogs for quite a while, and I was thinking about the pet peeves I have developed over the years relating to owning GSD's, and Malinois. When out in public, people have odd remarks. People have many misconceptions. In written form, people struggle trying to describe them. I just figured some of you would recognize some of these things as happening to you. :)

In no particular order:

1. "Wow, I've never seen a wolf up close." No, actually he isn't part wolf.

2. "I didn't know they came in black"

3. "Is he part German Shepherd?"

4. Anyone who incorrectly spells "shepherd" as: *shephard*, *sheppard*, *shepard*, or any other derivative thereof

5. "Does he bite?" (usually as someone is extending their hand forward toward the dog's face, or allowing their unrestrained child to run at the dog screaming.) Bad time to inquire.

6. "He's an Explosives dog? does that mean he can sniff drugs too?"

7. "I used to own a Police Dog. He was a big shepherd. He weighed 180 lbs. Why is yours so small?" (sure you did)

8. "Too bad they all have bad hips"

9. "What is his name?" Why does it matter? Will you like him less if his name is disagreeable to you?

10. Last but not least...in their best *dog trainer voice* they ask the dog: "Can you sit?" Dog looks at them strangely, as I calmly try to ignore it. Please don't try to train my dog. I usually respond that either he doesn't speak English, or act oblivious and say "Oh, he doesn't know that one yet" :wild:

I'm sure some of you can relate...

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Haha, I like #10.

Usually something like: "Can you sit, pretty boy?" What's with all those stupid words? Do you think my dog is going to find the "sit" within your sentence and then do that? Usually delivered in some dumb, high, happy tone. I'll never forget one guy who said something like this and when Bailey just stared at him, like, you're a dumbazz, and of course did not sit, the guy turned and said, "You know, I can show you how to teach him to sit."

Thanks, dude, but no thanks - I think we have the sit figured out. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I get the 3 and 1 a lot and the "oh I love huskies!" comment.

I was walking along a fence once and all of sudden this man runs up on the other side with his GSD, physically turns his dog around so her butt was up against the fence and all he said was "is that a stud?, my girls in heat".

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Yupp, heard every one of those, even the black (and Rushie was a blanket black and tan, and Frodo a bi-color).

I don't mind people asking the name of the dog, I think knowing the name helps them to see them as something more than hair and fangs. And, I think it says they care enough to ask something about the dog. I don't like when they say, "Is that a German Shepherd?" and when you say yes, they just grunt and walk on. What's that about???

·
Registered
505 Posts
It drives me crazy when someone asks...

What Stryder is "mixed" with?

Did it hurt when you had his ears docked?

My favorite... "Is he a police dog?" ...sigh...

·
Registered
275 Posts
9. "What is his name?" Why does it matter? Will you like him less if his name is disagreeable to you?
Guilty....usually i ask, so i get to go...aww you're such a good boy, ______ as opposed to just calling the dog generic boy/girl >.<

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
#4, for sure.

And for Ozzy....

Person comes up. Ozzy jumps up on them.
Me - "Ozzy, off." Ozzy gets off.
Person - "Oh, no, it's okay." *Pats knees to encourage him back up.*
-No, it's NOT okay. I don't want him doing it, whether he's 10 lbs or 100 lbs, I don't like dogs that jump on people.

Person - "What's your dog mixed with? I can see Pom in him for sure...."
Me - "Because he's a purebred Pom."
-Yes, he's poorly bred, but he's still purebred.

Person - "Awww, what a cutie! What's kind of dog is she?"
Me - "He's a Pomeranian."
Person - "She's so sweet! What's her name?"
Me - His name is Ozzy."
Person - *Turns to friend* "I love her!"
Me - "And he loves you." (But I want to choke you).
-Just because he's a cute, little, fluffy dog, doesn't mean he's a girl!

Sometimes people like to say that he's not a real dog because of his size. I'd like to see their dog do half the tricks he does, some flyball thrown in, walk nicely on lead, etc.
I know someone who scoffed at Ozzy because he was a 'pathetic excuse' for a dog. She owns 3 Great Danes. Who can't be walked unless you want your face cheese-grated on the asphalt, who don't even know how to sit, who fight among one another (those would be scary), and who can't do even half the things Ozzy could. I just smile and giggle inside.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I can relate to 1 thru 10:)

I also get "wow is that a police dog?"

·
Registered
842 Posts
If I come across a dog and their owner, I'll stop to admire, then ask "what's their name"? I like to compliment and address the dog by name if possible.

·
Registered
476 Posts
None of the things on the list bothers me. I don't expect everyone to be a dog breed or behavior expert. Since I don't know a lot about rocket propulsion or cryonics I don't expect people to know as much about animals, which is my field of interest. A lot of people just like dogs and want to talk about them and maybe pet them.

My # 1 pet peeve is kids. Little kids allowed to approach a strange dog while the parents look on and say nothing.

My #2 pet peeve is people who don't scoop up after their dogs when they walk them and people who let their dogs pee on other people's decorative yard plants.

#3 people who let their dogs jump on me.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
People who make a big fuss of moving FAR out of the way in a store when they see a fully grown big dog (Doberman, German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, doesn't matter). I once saw this woman walking through Petsmart with a very well behaved purebred Doberman, and when a father and daughter were walking by the cash register (where the dog and owner were) the father GRABBED his daughter and JERKED her like four feet extra away from the dog when they were already about 6 feet away. Dude, the dog is not going to charge you and if a dog has aggression issues that kind of behavior is not going to make you any safer, if anything it will put you in danger.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Person comes up. Ozzy jumps up on them.
Me - "Ozzy, off." Ozzy gets off.
Person - "Oh, no, it's okay." *Pats knees to encourage him back up.*
-No, it's NOT okay. I don't want him doing it, whether he's 10 lbs or 100 lbs, I don't like dogs that jump on people.
I get that all the time. Only thing that I can think of right now that is a pet peeve of mine.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I posted a pic on Facebook and someone made the comment "Hitler's babies".
I just removed the comment, not a big deal to me.

I do the thing where I let other people's dogs jump on me, or get nosy/friendly with me and just tell people "I don't mind", because often they're reefing their dog away and it's not fun to watch.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts