German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Yeah, if something outrages someone so much that they feel the need to sue someone over, they are not going to wait and 'see what happens'. Sorry but I'm not buying it one bit- she just wants someone to blame IMO. And yes, it is very sad that the dog passed away, but it's impossible to point fingers when the dog was sick to begin with. SHE is the one who brought the dog through the vet office's doors for vaccination. Who is she to say what vaccination actually contributed to the death of the dog- if AT ALL. Maybe it was the Rabies.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Yeah, if something outrages someone so much that they feel the need to sue someone over, they are not going to wait and 'see what happens'. Sorry but I'm not buying it one bit- she just wants someone to blame IMO. And yes, it is very sad that the dog passed away, but it's impossible to point fingers when the dog was sick to begin with. SHE is the one who brought the dog through the vet office's doors for vaccination. Who is she to say what vaccination actually contributed to the death of the dog- if AT ALL. Maybe it was the Rabies.

Yes! Maybe it was the rabies, which as I already mentioned - the vet should have advised against - now somehow it has been speculated that she was negligent and should have taken the dog in sooner - well how can you say that, if this was the annual wellness exam and if she called and was advised that she was "overdue" on vax. (all) - she may have been in yr. before and declined vax. do to AGE of the dog...they may have put pressure on about the rabies (as this is hot subject on this forum - maybe she's on here:sick:) "law" and she may have addressed concerns about the diarrhea and got the first available app. MAYBE it was the vets food, maybe chronic diarrhea meant on and off - not explosive - but managed (GSD x after all and we know their troubles)

25 g's is a pennies in Rosedale

So I am confused. Are people actually thinking that vaccinations caused the dogs pneumonia??

Really?

And where you live should have zero impact in the " worth" of the loss. I live in a small town, does that mean my dogs are " worth" less in a lawsuit. I don't care where she lives or what is a lot of money in her area.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

For some people diarrhea is liquid poo -- the dog can dehydrate fast with liquid poo. Liquid poo is impossible for a dog to control, so keeping a dog as a housepet for a month with liquid poo and doing nothing, no vet seems a bit insane. For other people, diarrhea is mush-poo. Mush-poo is simply ordinary poo with a higher quantity of liquid in it. It is not impossible for a dog to control, and while picking it out of the grass or concrete is more difficult, it is not something you couldn't manage for a while. Mush-poo seems to be a symptom of over-feeding, and of changing kibbles.

I think most of us, when we change kibbles, if the poo becomes a bit mushy, we do not rush to the vet. Or at least I don't. In fact, diarrhea here gets the following treatment:
1. 24 hour fast
2. 1/2 kibble, 2x first day.
If poo comes out good, end, else go to 3.
3. add 1 tablespoon pumpkin to 1/3 kibble, 2x next two days.
If poo comes out good go to 4. else go to 5.
4. increase food until calorie of old food and new food are similar, if kibble remains good, done.
5. call vet and get the dosage and type of diarrhea meds.
If that doesn't work in a day, then off to the vet.

So I might be a couple of days before actually seeking veterinary care for diarrhea, but usually it clears right up. The only reason I put step five in there, is because I have had a vet prescribe pepto bismal for a dog, and another tell me to use kaopeptate. Usually I don't have to do pumpkin. Usually the 24 hour fast works, and going back on the kibble is fine.

So maybe this was mush-poo which can be more of a chronic issue, and it can definitely be related to a change in kibble.

Now, as I understand it, the whole reason we pay for an office exam when we get shots, is that the dog is supposed to be healthy before getting shots. The vet is supposed to give the dog an examination, else they should not vaccinate the dog. In that respect, maybe the woman has a point. They should not have vaccinated for anything, including rabies when the dog was not well.

But it should not be a 25k point, whether or not it is doable for the vet/clinic.

The dog was 11. Renal failure really isn't that out of the question for an old dog. Pumping vaccinations into a dog experiencing renal failure probably wouldn't help. In fact, the vaccinations in the old and sick dog probably did hasten the inevitable. That's sad. It's awful. I am sure the owner feels terrible.

But if you offered me 25k to inject any of my dogs with something that would cause renal failure, I would tell you to go shove your head in the toilet. 25k will not bring the dog back. It will not make the dog's demise less grusome. It will not change any of the facts in the case. If you cared about your dog, it will not alleviate the pain and suffering of having lost you elderly dog that didn't probably have much longer to live in any case, but who can tell?

It sounds more like the woman is looking for punitive damages. The vet did something grossly wrong and she wants to punish him so that he will think twice before he vaccinates another ill dog, or tries to vaccinate a dog differently from its owner's wishes.

So I am confused. Are people actually thinking that vaccinations caused the dogs pneumonia??

Really?

And where you live should have zero impact in the " worth" of the loss. I live in a small town, does that mean my dogs are " worth" less in a lawsuit. I don't care where she lives or what is a lot of money in her area.

Isn't pneumonia often a secondary condition that actually kills you after a prolonged disease ravishes you? I mean, people don't generally die of aids, they die of pneumonia. Being bed-ridden can cause you to have pneumonia because you are not getting up and moving about. A severe vaccine reaction can cause a dog to become ravished to where pneumonia can set in and kill the dog.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
It sounds more like the woman is looking for punitive damages. The vet did something grossly wrong and she wants to punish him so that he will think twice before he vaccinates another ill dog, or tries to vaccinate a dog differently from its owner's wishes.
NOW THAT is a sound comment!:)

Isn't pneumonia often a secondary condition that actually kills you after a prolonged disease ravishes you? I mean, people don't generally die of aids, they die of pneumonia. Being bed-ridden can cause you to have pneumonia because you are not getting up and moving about. A severe vaccine reaction can cause a dog to become ravished to where pneumonia can set in and kill the dog.
No, ASPIRATION pneumonia is when infection sets in after a contaminated substance is aspirated and collects in the lungs. Commonly happens with dogs drinking too fast, swimming, vomiting

Discussion starter · #48 ·

Really?

Vaccinating a sick and/or aging dog suppressing the immune system - yes pneumonia could happen - being vax.'d with bortadella - sure - many rescue stories on here about kennel cough gone too far...

as for the worth comment - not sure if you mean my comment about Rosedale and pennies, however, that was in respect to others noting that here lawsuit if successful and others follow suit, then that could drive up Vet visit costs and insurance...and other poster said would hurt their biz...my point is that this "clinic" is in the elite-ist of neighbourhoods...

You cannot put a price on pain/suffering from loss - however small claims can and it's 25 g's

But how can you tell that the vaccinations did not cause vomiting? Vomiting can cause the aspiration.

I think she will have a hard time proving that vaccinating the sick elderly dog contributed to its demise, even if I believe it is possible.

Gatorbytes, I am sorry, but I don't think the woman should get punitive damages. I think that when we award punitive damages in the name of pain and suffering, we are actually driving our own costs for vet bills up, probably beyond what 90% of this board will be able to pay. Do we really want that?

Dogs live typically from 10-14 years. The one thing the shelter, or the pet store, or the breeder can guaranty is that barring some type of accident or attack, the dog will get a disease and ultimately require euthanasia or it will die without the benefit of being humanely put down.

Even with 2-3 dogs, most of us can point to some incident where we felt our dog was not treated properly at a vet. We do not have to be right to feel that way. And when our beloved pet dies, we may be looking at anyone besides ourselves to blame. If people think they can get a few thou or get $25 thou by sueing the vet that took care of the dog, well some of them will do it because they truly believe that something was done improperly, and others will do it because they can. And the outcome is that dog ownership goes back to being something only the very wealthy can do.

Very sad. The dog should have been vaccinated per the owner's request. I can see this going either way. Not sure the owner has enough proof the vaccine caused the death of the dog.
This is how I feel too!!!

My vet doesn't like to vaccinate the senior Hooligans for anything except rabies which is required by law. She wanted an exemption for Mac so we did a titer on him ... surprisingly he failed the titer test so he had to have the vaccination.

Isn't the standard of care and the instruction from the vaccine manufacturers that the dog should be healthy at the time of the vaccination? Shouldn't that be the standard of care. I see too many vets vaccinating sick animals.

My own healthy puppy had a severe reaction that needed emergency care after receiving a combo shot. He was premedicated and received the boosters a month apart for the rest of his life. I had to fight for the one vaccine at a time over and over. He was titered whenever possible.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Still have to consider that they gave the vaccine cocktail after stating it was a year overdue (this clinic may still run on a yearly protocol) even though she said no, and even if the client wasn't the wiser - it was up to the VET CLINIC to advise AGAINST, do to the diarrhea AND the insert in the vaccines provided by the Manufacturer/drug company.
Isn't the standard of care and the instruction from the vaccine manufacturers that the dog should be healthy at the time of the vaccination? Shouldn't that be the standard of care. I see too many vets vaccinating sick animals.

My own healthy puppy had a severe reaction that needed emergency care after receiving a combo shot. He was premedicated and received the boosters a month apart for the rest of his life. I had to fight for the one vaccine at a time over and over. He was titered whenever possible.
Which is what I have been saying:)

Oh - as well, what arycrest said - vaccinating senior was another red flag

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.