German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on pet insurance...worth it for 2 dogs? A 2 yr old and 7 yr old....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Depends what pre-existing conditions they have, and how prepared you are otherwise for an expensive accident or illness. I have it for all of mine, got it right away when they were puppies. It saves me money every month with my boy who has a lot of health issues. I expect to lose money eventually with my two younger dogs, as they have been pretty healthy. But I’d rather have it than not. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
447 Posts
We have Trupanion (Canadian) insurance for our two dogs... costs about $50(CAD)/month for each dog. They offer the best coverage of all the companies we have checked out. (though we have heard that Trupanion in the USA has been known to increase their premiums substantially each year) We did a TON of research on this subject prior to getting Sheba, and found that Trupanion wins, hands down! 90% coverage, (instead of standard 80%) pretty much everything is covered, (all illnesses and injuries, hereditary and congenital conditions, diagnostic testing, cancer treatments, hospital stays, all surgeries, hip dysplasia issues, medications, supplements, prosthetic devices/carts, etc) and most importantly, there are no maximum payouts ever, so even if you get a $15,000 vet bill, 90% of it is covered. You get to choose your rate of deductable, which you only ever pay once, per condition, for the life of your pet. We found no other company that even comes close to this coverage, plus their premiums are very reasonable. (in our second year, premiums rose by less than 2%, so they remain very affordable)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
We have trupanion another insurance on here many people are happy with is healthy paws. I pay $160 a month for three dogs - one dog is up in age- my deductible is higher but you get to choose what kind of deductible dependent on what you want to pay a month and has 90% coverage.i like that they pay the vet direct if the vet excepts direct payment from insurance company. I had some incidents that were accidental and claims were pAid with in a week. I have it for those insane crazy vet bills if something were to ever happen. It gives me some peace of mind. Some people stash the money away they would pay in insurance every month. It’s a personal choice.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Healthy Paws is on average $50/dog. Older dogs can be more (my 11 y.o. is $80). They won't cover hips if the dog is over a certain age (6, I think) at the start of the policy. They will cover them in the younger dog, after a 1 year waiting period, if it's not a pre-existing condition -- they're covering Adequan therapy indefinitely for one of mine!

Over the last 12-mo period, they've paid out close to $10,000 for one of my dogs -- a freak fetch accident caused a major dental injury, and we had an unexpected diagnosis of a curable form of cancer (but the cure is WAY expensive). I didn't have to blink over the cost to get this dog best-of-the-best specialty care, including the new DNA-based cancer vaccine therapy to teach his immune system to target and destroy cancer cells if any were left after surgery, or it comes back. Healthy Paws covered it all at 90% -- with no hassle.

You have to be choosy though. We have excellent threads on what to look for, what companies have that, and why to avoid other companies (including a Sticky thread that's been updated recently).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts