German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading something about pet insurance and was wondering if its really worth it? Does it actually cover anything? Will I still have to pay upfront or does it have co pays and what not? I would much rather pay a lower monthly amount then hundreds or thousands when/if needed ya know.

I was just wanting to get some practical info... who has actually had insurance for their pet and used it?

· Registered
230 Posts
You can think about it like car insurance (sorry if that's an insensitive analogy lol) because you don't really want to spend that money every month, but it's good to have in case of an expensive emergency/accident.

I have Trupanion insurance for my dog and I'm pleased with it. They just removed the limits. You just need to be careful about pre-existing conditions. If your dog already has a bunch of issues, then the insurance company is not going to pay for it.

· Registered
105 Posts
We're wondering the same thing. Insurance in general confuses me. LOL. But we are wondering if it's worth getting for our puppy. And then I see some that cover preventative care and spaying? And then some cover cancer and some have it as an add-on? So many different options and I'm just lost.

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're wondering the same thing. Insurance in general confuses me. LOL. But we are wondering if it's worth getting for our puppy. And then I see some that cover preventative care and spaying? And then some cover cancer and some have it as an add-on? So many different options and I'm just lost.

Exactly. Its so confusing and when you consider that for premium coverage from what I have seen its like 50$ a month and you still have to pay for everything upfront.... It just makes me wonder if its worth it or not.

I wish pet insurance worked like people insurance.. but in the long run its much cheaper than people insurance.

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can think about it like car insurance (sorry if that's an insensitive analogy lol) because you don't really want to spend that money every month, but it's good to have in case of an expensive emergency/accident.

I have Trupanion insurance for my dog and I'm pleased with it. They just removed the limits. You just need to be careful about pre-existing conditions. If your dog already has a bunch of issues, then the insurance company is not going to pay for it.
Have you ever had to or been able to actually use it?

· Registered
288 Posts
We don't have insurance on ours. I know companies are quick to "exclude" any breed specific conditions.... like hips in GSD. Any pre-existing and I have heard "congenital" can sometimes be excluded as well. It is like the Ellie said.... if you need it... you wished you had it. I just feel it is hard to come up with (maybe) $100.00 a month (for our two dogs.)
The cost of the insurance per month...times...the years of their lives.... well, it would certainly add up.

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For about 100$ a month I could get accident, illness, RX scripts, wellness up to 400$, dental up to 400$ with a maximum of 10K annually with a 200$ deductible and 20% co pay.

That comes to a little less than 20K over a 15 year life span.

I personally have never had dogs need so much care so I wonder if all thats needed. Of course before now if my dog had a life threatening illness I always had to put them down so I dont know if thats a fair assessment of the need.

UGH this is so annoying.

· Registered
2,951 Posts
I have insurance for basics like well visits, shots, and spay/neuter. I pay $8 a month per dog but this is very basic and would never cover a serious illness. It does cover about 50% of prescription costs, and a small amount toward the office visit itself but not the exam or treatment. I think it's worth it since their once a year visit and blood work are covered, shots, and some money off the cost of prescriptions.

· Registered
397 Posts
at the recommendation of alot of ppl on here when I asked about pet insurance I went with Petplan. They do NOT cover spay nueter vaccinations or anything routine but if s*it were to hit the fan and my dog ate a sock and got a blockage... god forbvid needed bloat surgery.. got hit by a car... or yes even needed a hip replacement they cover it all. I pay 42 a month and I have a 100$ deductable and I am covered for 20k per year if anything happens they will pay up to 20,000.00 in one year and I pay a deductable of 100. Thats pretty good and makes me feel a little more secure.

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know... now that I think about it, my husband is VERY old school on everything. Dogs are free... they almost never go to the vet... and heart guard? whats that? lol Well its not really all that funny but its the truth... he just isnt the man thats going to be ok with taking the dog to get its teeth cleaned every year because of the cost. BUT if I have insurance that covers EVERYTHING and he knows we will get reimbursed at least a good portion of the money he would be more inclined to care for the dog properly (what I think is proper care) So I need to look for a good full coverage plan.

Thank you everyone for your input. If anyone else has insurance and would recommend their company please let me know.

· Registered
7 Posts
We got the puppy plan for both of ours which wasn't really insurance but basically a pre-payment plan for their first year, which is when they need the most shots, neutering, etc.

I think it was about $400 which included the surgery, all shots, and quarterly routine visits to check up on them.

After these are up, since they will only need much more periodic visits, we probably won't pay for the adult plan.

· Registered
1,610 Posts
I have Petplan and am very happy with them. If you search for "Petplan" you will get other threads to come up.

I have a $200 deductible per incident which is the highest but I get reimbursed at 100% after I pay my deductible. So far they paid out around $2,500 and I had paid less than $400 in premiums. Their customer service is great and the claims are processed quickly. It takes a little longer if your paper work isn't complete. Petplan does not cover routine care like vaccines and spay/neuter.

Here are some links that might help:

Pet Insurance for Dogs and Cats - Petplan Pet Health Insurance
Compare dog insurance - Pet Insurance Review

After my first dog had so many different health problems most of her life wich added up to around $40,000 in vet bills over the years I would never be without insurance again. Even if you don't have a dog with a chronic illness vet bills can add up in a hurry.

Michaela

· Registered
230 Posts
Also if there is a company that didnt work well please let me know that as well.
I have heard some really negative things about both vpi and aspca - vpi does benefit schedules so they don't pay based on your actual bill, and aspca has some funky clauses about chronic conditions, where they only cover it for the first year and then the next 6 months into the second year or something like that. Confusing to me so I just stay away hahah.

Anyway, I have used my Trupanion insurance twice for smaller things, one was about $30 and the other was around $90 and they were both reimbursed in a timely manner, no issues or anything like that.
I like it b/c i have a $0 deductible, so I get reimbursed even for the small things.

· Registered
2,075 Posts
I have Petplan and am very happy with them. If you search for "Petplan" you will get other threads to come up.

I have a $200 deductible per incident which is the highest but I get reimbursed at 100% after I pay my deductible. So far they paid out around $2,500 and I had paid less than $400 in premiums. Their customer service is great and the claims are processed quickly. It takes a little longer if your paper work isn't complete. Petplan does not cover routine care like vaccines and spay/neuter.

Here are some links that might help:

Pet Insurance for Dogs and Cats - Petplan Pet Health Insurance
Compare dog insurance - Pet Insurance Review

After my first dog had so many different health problems most of her life wich added up to around $40,000 in vet bills over the years I would never be without insurance again. Even if you don't have a dog with a chronic illness vet bills can add up in a hurry.

Michaela
I have PetPlan on Kimba as well. im very happy with it. i only pay $23/month. i have a $200 deductible then i pay 10% of what is left. i chose the $8000/ yr plan.

no limitations on anything considered genetic, including HD.

i have made 4 claims in just less than 2 years. they have paid out over $2300. they have always paid exactly as the plan calls for.

Trupanion WILL NOT cover Hip Dysplasia if your dog is over 1 year old when you enroll. if they arent 1 yr old, you can get HD coverage for an extra fee.

· Registered
914 Posts
Petplan here also. We had insurance on our last GSD and after $5000 for knee injury, a few thousand for some other issues and about $2000 in the last days before we lost her, I have never been so glad we had it. Petplan does cover hips on GSDs, just make sure to read their paperwork, etc on what you need to do as an owner to get coverage for some stuff.

· Registered
3,007 Posts
This is all very interesting. I looked up Trupanion and liked the price but limited info on the website. I want it all, pay for routine and emergency at a low cost lol!

· Registered
3,007 Posts
I have insurance for basics like well visits, shots, and spay/neuter. I pay $8 a month per dog but this is very basic and would never cover a serious illness. It does cover about 50% of prescription costs, and a small amount toward the office visit itself but not the exam or treatment. I think it's worth it since their once a year visit and blood work are covered, shots, and some money off the cost of prescriptions.
Who do you have this with?

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is all very interesting. I looked up Trupanion and liked the price but limited info on the website. I want it all, pay for routine and emergency at a low cost lol!
I feel ya! I looked into Embrace and WOW there prices are SKY HIGH! Its all very confusing for me as to what I need vs what they cover. I too want it all.

· Registered
230 Posts
I feel ya! I looked into Embrace and WOW there prices are SKY HIGH! Its all very confusing for me as to what I need vs what they cover. I too want it all.
Yeah I was amazed at how expensive it is whereas every other company pretty much covers the same stuff for MUCH less.

vat - after looking into wellness coverage, it's really not worth it unfortunately. You pay an extra $200 a year through your premiums to get back $180 worth of wellness coverage. Plus the wait time to be reimbursed... may as well keep the premiums low and just get the accident/illness/emergency cover.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.