German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We are getting a new gsd, Dexter, and he will be 8 weeks when we drive three hours to go pick him up. Any advice on what to prepare for? I've read to not punish the dog for whining (which was far from what we'd do) but I want to know how to comfort him without coddling him, so we don't encourage the whining.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on pet insurance? Is it worth it in the long run, or would it be better to pay out of pocket if anything arises?

Thanks, everyone!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There is a great post on insurance and after so much research we went with
PetPlan

as for the car, little dish for water, no feeding before the ride.

Our puppy slept all the way home for 8 hours =) we tried to stop to let him out but he slept and did not want to go out.

he cried only for 3 minutes when we pulled away =)

was so much easier than I could of imagined. I also sat with him in the back, no crate. Was great for bonding! we so clicked!

pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200805613481411.1073741825.1195553746&type=1&l=35167c392a

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations on getting your puppy!

If it's going to be a long car ride , I would make sure to bring a crate and put in some towels to put in the bottom of it in case of accidents and puppy maybe throwing up from car ride (not always). Make sure to bring extra towels and baby wipes, just in case. When I got my pup I brought a blanket that I knew I would put into his crate and I wiped it on the mother and the siblings to get their scent all over it to comfort my pup with the transition to leaving his pack. I can't tell you for sure if it helped, but I like to think so.

As far as insurance I will tell you that I did not get insurance until my pup was over a year (I was on the fence on it) But luckily for me 2 months after I purcahsed it, my dog broke one of his canine's and $1300.00 later I was glad that I purchased insurance. There are many pet insurance companies out there, but I went with Pet Plan and was very happy when I had to file my claim and received reimbursement within 2 weeks. Had I to do it over I would have purchased it sooner than I had.

Good luck getting your pup and post lots of pictures when you do :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
A friend of ours let us borrow a plastic crate and our original plan was just to have her ride in my lap in the front seat, but she was having none of it and crying. After 5 mins or so I moved to the back seat and took the door off the travel crate and she was half in there and had her head on my lap. It was a great bonding experience and she slept most of the way. I would suggest bringing papertowels and extra blankets and towels, as our girl did get sick mid-way through the trip since we hit some traffic on the 4 hr trip.

We didn't get pet insurance with our last GSD, but wish I did as she had lots of health issues. We are thinking about it for our current puppy who is 5 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

We are prepared for pukes and poops and are definitely looking into pet insurance now. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a rip off! I also appreciate the suggestions for who to go with. Sounds like everyone is pretty confident with PetPlan. I will have to check them out when I get home.

I think I will have him however he is comfortable in the backseat with me. It definitely doesn't sound like it'd hurt to get the momma's and the rest of the packs scent on a blanket. It sounds like it might be an adventure!

We are so excited. And I'm happy with how useful this forum has been so far for everything.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures and hear more! =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts