German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are more Canadian members on this site than the "other" one, so I am asking this here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Pet Insurance company in Ontario, specifically SW Ontario?

We participate in many venues and are extremely active so I think this would be a ideal thing to have. The breeder we got Stark from had him registered until he was 4 months old under her name with her Pet Insurance plan but I didn't continue it at the time and am now thinking it would be a wise idea.

I am a graduate student so I can't afford a $200.00 per month plan, but I would like something in place just incase. Am open for suggestions. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
PC Finacial seemed to have the best deals when I was shopping but it was still a little rich for my blood.
PC Financial everything is awesome by the way :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't realize they had Pet Insurance.. thanks - will look into this. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PC Financial Pet Insurance

What's covered

All accidents, selected illnesses**

Accident Coverage

Up to $2,000 per accident

Illness Coverage

Up to $2,000 per select illness** over the pet's lifetime

**This is a group of 8 illnesses common to pets: ear infections, eye infections, digestive problems, kidney & urinary problems, contagious infectious diseases, cancer; plus for dogs, arthritis and seizures; and for cats, feline asthma and diabetes.

$ 21.46 per month.

Plan for Stark

Value Plan with a $100.00 Deductible

Edit Stark's info
Delete Stark
Choose another plan

$

monthly

Hide Plan Details

What's covered

All accidents, selected illnesses**

Accident Coverage

Up to $2,000 per accident

Illness Coverage

Up to $2,000 per select illness** over the pet's lifetime

**This is a group of 8 illnesses common to pets: ear infections, eye infections, digestive problems, kidney & urinary problems, contagious infectious diseases, cancer; plus for dogs, arthritis and seizures; and for cats, feline asthma and diabetes.
Included
Total Monthly Premiums

$

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have PC pet insurance on my Lab.
I have the basic package, it was like $15 a month. I just got a letter the other day, they upped it by 50 cents. They have been doing that every year or so, so now it is just over $16 a month.
I purchased it because specifically to cover a blockage if my Lab (who tends to eat things he shouldn't) should ever get one.
There has only been one time I used it, last year he was vomiting and we were unsure what the problem was.
I had no issues with them paying out and it did save me a ton of money (we did xrays, a barium swallow, etc).

For me $15 is affordable, and so far I am ahead of the game.

Just a note, when I first signed him up, he had been in the vet as a puppy for throwing up (no treatment, turns out it was just an empty stomach, a snack before bed solved the problem) so for the first year, they would not cover certain stomach issues. Once the year was up, I sent in a letter from the vet saying it wasn't chronic or anything and now have full coverage.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, I know some insurance companies in the states are billed directly from the vets office, but if I am not mistaken PC bills you and then you submitt a claim and then they pay you back?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You pay the vet bills, then send in the receipts to PC, they mail a check out.

You can also call to make sure certain treatments will be covered before you decide to go ahead and pay for them, without having to worry about being turned down later, basically a pre approval.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. :)

Anyone try Pet Secure?

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bump for any new info! We're about to look into insurance too, and were told that Petsecure and Vet Insurance (which seems to just redirect to Trupanion) are two to check out.

Trupanion seems cheaper per month, but then they make you pay a deductible EACH time you go and they don't pay the vet's call fee (which is like $70 for us), so it seems like you'd pay for most things up to $200 per incident yourself basically.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We are with Trupanion and it's the only company with no limits. There is a good compare chart on the website so you can see all of the companies side by side.

The deductible is per condition, not per vet visit, so if you keep going back for the same condition, you only pay the deductible once during the life of the policy for the condition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi there, we asked around and most of our friends have dogs so went with what the majority had. We chose Petsecure, it is $46 a month. Havent used it but a couple friends have and they are happy with it. We shall see, hopefully we dont have to use it!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We are with Trupanion and it's the only company with no limits. There is a good compare chart on the website so you can see all of the companies side by side.

The deductible is per condition, not per vet visit, so if you keep going back for the same condition, you only pay the deductible once during the life of the policy for the condition.

Trupanion is pretty good if you have had your pet fixed before one year of age. If not they have a lot of restrictions. Trupanion also has a 30 day waiting period upon signing up before you can get sick. Trupanion and pet Plan are the two best in the states. I did a whole work up on this site if you want details. Petplan is owned by allianz, very strong company and I believe they are worldwide.

I went back and forth on both and ended up going with pet plan due to I have no plans to fix my boy before 1 year of age.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If anyone can get me an actual pet secure policy, I will rip it apart and find the restrictions and faults.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found the compare (you can just plug in a few basic details to get a quote) here:

https://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/Enroll

I'm still not clear on the deductible. It does say that it is per incident / condition. Per incident seems like each time. If it's per condition in fact, what does that mean if you go in for diarrhea a few times? You have no idea what your dog has upfront, until all the tests are done.

If it turns out the second time for example that it wasn't Giardia, but some other thing causing the diarrhea, will they make you pay a second deductible?

They also say that "You have the option to select a per-incident deductible of $0 or any deductible amount from $50 to $1000 in increments of $5."

But as far as exam fees go, it definitely says they're not covered. I take that to mean each time I go to see the vet for a diagnosis, the vet fee ($70 in my case) isn't covered. How else do you interpret that?

What is not covered?
  • Routine care
  • Veterinary exam fees
  • Pre-existing conditions
Deductibles are per incident.

I'm also curious what is a "pre-existing condition". If your dog had Giardia once let's say 3 months ago, and at the time you go on the plan, he's clean, is that a pre-existing condition? Would all gastro issues then fall into the catch-all "pre-existing condition"?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I found the compare (you can just plug in a few basic details to get a quote) here:

https://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/Enroll

I'm still not clear on the deductible. It does say that it is per incident / condition. Per incident seems like each time. If it's per condition in fact, what does that mean if you go in for diarrhea a few times? You have no idea what your dog has upfront, until all the tests are done.

If it turns out the second time for example that it wasn't Giardia, but some other thing causing the diarrhea, will they make you pay a second deductible?

They also say that "You have the option to select a per-incident deductible of $0 or any deductible amount from $50 to $1000 in increments of $5."

But as far as exam fees go, it definitely says they're not covered. I take that to mean each time I go to see the vet for a diagnosis, the vet fee ($70 in my case) isn't covered. How else do you interpret that?

What is not covered?
  • Routine care
  • Veterinary exam fees
  • Pre-existing conditions
Deductibles are per incident.

I'm also curious what is a "pre-existing condition". If your dog had Giardia once let's say 3 months ago, and at the time you go on the plan, he's clean, is that a pre-existing condition? Would all gastro issues then fall into the catch-all "pre-existing condition"?
Pre existing is for anything the dog had before you bought the insurance.

If you bring the dog in for the same thing over and over its not subject to an additional deductible. If

Here is a breakdown, pay attention to the getting your dog fixed before one year of age and hips and things that are costly not the little things.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/159747-health-insurance-opinions.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pre existing is for anything the dog had before you bought the insurance.

If you bring the dog in for the same thing over and over its not subject to an additional deductible. If

Here is a breakdown, pay attention to the getting your dog fixed before one year of age and hips and things that are costly not the little things.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/159747-health-insurance-opinions.html
Thanks, so pre-existing doesn't mean the dog HAD something, is over it at the time you sign up, and then gets it again? I had heard (for example if your dog's had giardia) they wouldn't cover it.

What about the vet exam fees they say aren't covered?

For Trupanion, hip disp. is covered as long as you pay the extra $5 a month or whatever, before the dog's one year old, so to me that's no big deal.

Also, as far as the dog being neutered before one, I thought at first that sucks, but then if you read on, they say OR by the date your vet has recommended, so that seems ok to me too.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks, so pre-existing doesn't mean the dog HAD something, is over it at the time you sign up, and then gets it again? I had heard (for example if your dog's had giardia) they wouldn't cover it.

What about the vet exam fees they say aren't covered?

For Trupanion, hip disp. is covered as long as you pay the extra $5 a month or whatever, before the dog's one year old, so to me that's no big deal.

Also, as far as the dog being neutered before one, I thought at first that sucks, but then if you read on, they say OR by the date your vet has recommended, so that seems ok to me too.
pre existing means if the dog had something before you signed up they will not cover it ever again.

As far as the one year on fixing I will have to look at that again, the actual policy not their add. That becomes a grey area which I hate in any insurance. The $5 is worth it I do not think they cover the office visit but thats petty anyhow not something I would care about

·
Registered
80 Posts
pre existing means if the dog had something before you signed up they will not cover it ever again.
OK, I don't mean to be thick, but as you know (being in the insurance industry), the fine print is everything. I'm still not clear how pre existing works when it comes to the dog having had something.

Here's an easy way for me to get it. :) Can you please tell me in this specific scenario if the costs would be covered or not in your opinion, for example?

No insurance. Dog gets Giardia at 3 months of age, goes on meds, is tested, and is clear.

At 5 months of age, you go on insurance. The presumption is the dog does not have Giardia at this point, of course. I assume they ask your vet for the dog's medical history, and become aware that the dog at one point had Giardia?

Then at 8 months, your dog gets sick and is diagnosed with Giardia again.

Will it be covered or not?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts