German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on Pet Insurance? Worth it, not worth it? Pup is now going 10 months old. Considering Figo, Healthy Paws and Nationwide. At this age, should I go for $500 annual deductable 80% coverage for $47? Or $200 annual deductable 90% coverage for $49? Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have Healthy Paws and have had a pretty great experience with them overall. My friends with Figo have claimed that their rates have doubled in the first year of renewal with them. I do think Nationwide's Whole Pet Wellness is good if you are willing to shell out for it (its $$$$). Personally, I know that I would rather spend the extra $2 per month for 90% reimbursement over the course of the year.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't even consider Nationwide, they are a scam. Just google "reviews nationwide pet insurance" and you will see what I mean. They wouldn't pay up a penny when we filed our claim and filing was extremely difficult and time consuming.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/vpi.html

Wow I've never had pet insurance.....we've thought about it over the years and having 2 seniors now... every time I'm paying at the Vets my mind goes hmmmm "woulda-coulda-shoulda" LOL.... after looking at the above link.....I'm glad I didn't try Nationwide (they were a company we'd thought about)...Thanks for the link .

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wow I've never had pet insurance.....we've thought about it over the years and having 2 seniors now... every time I'm paying at the Vets my mind goes hmmmm "woulda-coulda-shoulda" LOL.... after looking at the above link.....I'm glad I didn't try Nationwide (they were a company we'd thought about)...Thanks for the link .
Absolutely, anything to save others from the frustration we went through! We have healthy paws now but haven't had a chance to use them yet. We used to have I think (don't quote me on this, it was a while ago) petplan and they were good, easy to fill out a claim and got our money back in about a week.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
There are probably several hundred threads already on this topic, some quite recent. Do a search for "Healthy Paws" and many will come up, as it's one of the most heavily discussed. A lot of us have it, and a lot of us have had huge claims paid (multi-thousand dollar claims, in some cases)--but you have to understand what you're buying, and what you're not getting. People get upset when they realize pre-existing conditions, office exams, and wellness aren't covered -- none of that stuff is the purpose of these policies. Covering the multi-thousand dollar bills sure is!

We also have a sticky, which we updated just a few months ago.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/159747-health-insurance-opinions.html

The reason to dig through the old threads is kr16, who is an insurance pro, has done some comprehensive analysis of the fine print of the policy documents. Hearing from a few people that their own claims were paid is only half the story -- you MUST know what's actually excluded, how benefits are calculated, whether payments are limited to supposedly usual-and-customary charges, and how RX meds are handled.

Consumers honestly need to force themselves to read insurance contracts in this product space -- I'm sorry to put it so bluntly as I know those contracts are awful to read in the TL;DR age, but this is an area where there's no way around it because the devil is in the details of the policies. DO NOT rely on any of the objective-looking websites "comparing" policies, as they may be either owned by one of the companies that comes out on top or else paid by one of those companies. Consumer Reports did a reasonable but short write-up on pet insurance (and I trust them). Whole Dog Journal did too, and I've already posted how problematic I thought their write-up was (they meant well but don't seem to understand the complexity of the issues, IMHO).

The discussions on renewal rate hikes here are also extremely important. A few companies with good reps for paying claims are known for massive rate hikes (20% or more a year) once they've paid a claim and the dog now has a pre-existing condition making it hard to move to another carrier. It's ugly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have Healthy Paws and have had a pretty great experience with them overall. My friends with Figo have claimed that their rates have doubled in the first year of renewal with them. I do think Nationwide's Whole Pet Wellness is good if you are willing to shell out for it (its $$$$). Personally, I know that I would rather spend the extra $2 per month for 90% reimbursement over the course of the year.
I also have healthy paws. And it’s really worked for me.
I got it when Finn was ab 6 Months.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input I appreciate every single one of it! Ok. It seems like Nationwide is out of the picture. I'll be weighing my options between Figo and Healthy Paws... And probably Trupanion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts