German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for those experienced with pet insurance.

What would keep someone from getting insurance when the puppy is young and likely to get into trouble, then doing OFA prelim on the hips...if the xrays look good, drop the insurance, if they look bad, keep it and likely use it for eventual hip operations? Would the insurance know that OFA prelim was done? Since in theory, the dog would be insured at the time the prelim was done, the bad hips (if they were in fact bad) should be covered and could not be considered pre-existing or whatever excuse they use to not pay out.

I know hips aren't the only medical expense that is going to hurt the wallet, but that is the one that I worry most about.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Sound plan. Make sure the policy covers genetic issues though. A lot don't. That is pretty much what I am doing though I have not done prelims on Beau but will do x-rays when he hits 2 and send to OFA.

I am not going to cancel then because I have spent a lot of money over time on injuries. But I am going to scale it back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The insurance that came with my dog through AKC dose not cover hips or anything else genetic. If you find a plan that covers genetic issues, please share :) At this point I don't have any reason to think there will be anything wrong with my dog's hips, but it would be nice to have a strong insurance plan in place before doing OFA, just in case... if there are any plans out there that would cover HD.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a quick question for those experienced with pet insurance.

What would keep someone from getting insurance when the puppy is young and likely to get into trouble, then doing OFA prelim on the hips...if the xrays look good, drop the insurance, if they look bad, keep it and likely use it for eventual hip operations? Would the insurance know that OFA prelim was done? Since in theory, the dog would be insured at the time the prelim was done, the bad hips (if they were in fact bad) should be covered and could not be considered pre-existing or whatever excuse they use to not pay out.

I know hips aren't the only medical expense that is going to hurt the wallet, but that is the one that I worry most about.

Thanks

That's why I chose Pet Plan for my puppy Havoc. As long as the condition wasn't pre existing what you said would work. Some insurance comps won't even insure a GSD's hips in the policy....

I wish I had insurance for my Kaos. I spent thousands which I didn't have on him. For instance I spent over $3000 for hip stem cell and the complications from it that didn't help even a little....I tried everything like adequan injections, acupuncture etc etc. I still feel guilty I couldn't afford the $5500 per hip plus another $1000 I was quoted for THR's on both hips at the University of Penn. I had tried to do a refinance with a cash out. But I didn't have enough equity. I knew of FHO but was advised against it because the recovery was longer and it wasn't recommended by U.O.P for larger breed dogs.....

The one thing I wish I did know about to try is something called a hip denervation. They go into the hips and kill nerves so they can't feel the pain.....

Here is to Many Healthy years for your GSD.......

Eventually when Havoc gets older (7 years or so) if he doesn't have any major problems I will drop the insurance as it goes up every year and by that time won't make sense keeping because of the cost....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been considering pet plan and it covers hips. But read that the premium increases are significant after the first year. So, the puppy will be insured during the first 18 months (you know how puppies get into everything) and I bet I will use the insurance at least once. Prelim comes back ok, I will most likely drop. Comes back bad, will keep it and do what needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I did not have a significant premium increase with petplan

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I did not have a significant premium increase with petplan
Neither did I and Nikki had almost $10,000 in claims in her first year alone. I think it went up $4 per month when I renewed it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither did I and Nikki had almost $10,000 in claims in her first year alone. I think it went up $4 per month when I renewed it.
Good to know. I had read about a 7% increase at renewal was the norm.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good to know. I had read about a 7% increase at renewal was the norm.
Yep. I have the PetPlan silver for puppy Havoc. Costs me $33.92 a month. If you use the quote generator you can find a rough cost in later years. Year two will cost me $35.48. Year 7 would be $62.62.....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Actually my biggest expenses with my dogs have been when they are older. I will do everything I can to get a healthy puppy and maintain a healthy dog but ...

Also well $4 a month IS probably even MORE than 7% :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts