German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know how many of you have dogs that "work", if so, was that your goal in getting the dog, or did it occur to you afterwards?

How many are "just pet" homes, or their dog is just a companion and doesn't formally work?

Our GSDs have always been pets only, we originally adopted one 10 years ago to help deter people from messing around our property.
Since then, we fell in love with the breed, their loyalty and devotion, and probably will always have one in the home.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I guess you would say stoli is aet dog as he doesn't have any jobs these days altho he used to go to work with me and hang out with the residents. These days we just hang out now and run errands together...love the guy so now his job is to entertain and love me!!!! Which he is awesome at I must say :D

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I got Gryffon specifically for Schutzhund, so he is in a working home in that sense, though he is first and foremost a house pet. .

If I had wanted a pet with no specific goals in mind other than being an awesome companion, I would have gone the rescue/shelter adoption route, and maybe not even a GSD, but a mix or other dog in need.
That is how I got Keeta, and it is with Keeta that I discovered Schutzhund, which is why I got Gryffon, so . . . funny how things work out!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My last GSD was a pet. I would have loved to do tracking or agility with him. My next GSD I have plans for competetive obedience/agility. We also have a lab for upland game and waterfowl hunting. But for all of our dogs, being a family companion is their most important job.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I got Kastle for Schutzhund. I also plan on doing agility, flyball, dock jumping, rally, obedience (akc/ukc) etc with him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i have a pet home with a dog that
does small jobs. our dog is our pet/companion.
here's a list of some of the things our dog does
that might be considered work:

meets the mailman and brings us the mail. if
my neighbor is outside he goes back to the mailman
and gets my neighbors mail and brings it to her.

when we're out walking if i drop something my dog
will pick it up.

"find it". i can hide things indoors or outside and
when i say "find it" my dog will find whatever i was hiding.
this includes objects and people.

will carry things for you.

our Grey Hound was blind. when we walked her
our GSD would take her leash and hold on to it
and she would walk beside him.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Pet home. Her only job is to make me take 3-4 walks a day.
Working on getting CGC then TD and some Therapy Dog work but
we will see how that goes. I don't consider that work, I consider
it taking her out to be petted by strangers.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I bought them both as pets, however, I want to get my American/WGSL male into herding and dock diving.

I got my Czech/West German Working line female with the idea of doing agility, flyball, herding and dock diving.

They will always be pets/family first, if they cant do any of the sports I'd like to do with them, it doesn't change my love or opinion of them. :wub:

I will always have a GSD in my home, always at least 1 black GSD.

·
Registered
987 Posts
All mine our family members first, but they also do Obedience, and Rally for work, and a little Agility for fun.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Pet home for my three but working with my youngest GSD in Schutzhund. We started last April and currently working towards a BH.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ours is just a pet but I would love to look in to the Therapy Dog thing. I think that would be awesome for both of us.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Two of my dogs are companions(temperament and health make it hard to do any sportwork)
One of my dogs is training in SchH....all are house companions.
They are treated all the same, no difference in my SchH dog as far as what he is or isn't allowed to do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've never thought of those things as mutually exclusive - looks like there aren't many folks who have working dogs who don't also consider them a pet/family member.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My boy helps me with laundry, cooking, cleaning animal cages, and getting my husband out of bed. He also likes to be around when I'm loading the dishwasher and he checks to make sure his leash is hanging in the same spot several times a day. He thinks he's a working dog. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
As my dogs don't receive a pay check, I suppose I've got a pet home.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I got Wolf to take with me when I go alone to horse shows. Then we started training for Shutzhund with his breeder's club. After he passed away, we got involved with PSA. He is first and foremost my companion, but he definitely needs a "job". We will always have gsds now including working dogs and rescues.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts