German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get my pup, I'm trying to think of ways to socialize him in public, and not just at pet stores. I should mention, I'm in Arizona.

So far I have the obvious: pet stores, dog parks, and dog events (if I can find any events around here.)

I also found a bar/restaurant where you can take your dogs, called Uncle Bear's. You can have them outside, and the inside is CLUTTERED with dog pictures that people send in. It's neat. :)

Then there's the outdoors cafe type things, like coffee shops. I had a question about these though. If you take your dog, can you go in to order, or do you have to stay outside at all times?

Can you take dogs to all restaurants and such where you can be outside, or no?

If you can think of any other dog-friendly places I could take my pup, I'd greatly appreciate it!
I could also probably bring him to the school when it lets out and let him meet all of the high school kids. I'll be getting out early, so I could come back with him. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have any Arizona-specific facts. Around here at least, allowing dogs at outdoor seating is basically up to the owner of the facility. I always ask first, even if we've been there before, because certain managers may have a problem while others don't mind. Generally you can't take your dog in to order.

Besides the places for socializing you've already mentioned, you can try Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's if you have those out there. They are outdoorsy shops, so you may have something similar. We go to certain towns or areas that simply have a lot of nice shops and stuff, where there are lots of people, and walk around there. Today we went to the train station-- and got to see a train stop and leave. When the weather is better, we go for snow cones and frozen custard, and that's good socializing (The owner of a snow cone stand last year gave us for free a bag full of unflavored shaved ice for the dog, and she loved it!). We sit outside the grocery store, the mall, target, wherever.

I always make certain to sit a good distance away from doors when we're at "non-dog" places, as I don't want anyone to be bothered or feel threatened while they're just going about their business. At restaurants, we try to take a seat at the edge so we are between the dog and everyone else. This has also helped her learn that seeing people doesn't mean she is going to get to say hello, which was hard as she's so friendly. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
.. If you take your dog, can you go in to order, or do you have to stay outside at all times?

Can you take dogs to all restaurants and such where you can be outside, or no?
1) dogs can't be in restaurants (health code reasons) so it would have to be outside

2) usually yes, but its best to call ahead and ask first

other places you can go..

hardware type stores (usually anyway) home depot, lowes, tractor supply, menards, etc..

I know a poster here was able to take their pup to a library so you could check into that

check into local school football/baseball games my old high school did but I lived in a small small town

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When I got Karlo, it was planting time, so we went to many of the local greenhouses. I got the ok first for me bring him in. I watched him carefully so he didn't drink or eat anything inappropriate.
We also went to a couple of Memorial day parades so he could be exposed to sirens, gunshot, horses, people. I never let him be overwhelmed and he was fine with everything.
We went to a family party, boating and rain were his experiences that day!
And of course a couple different puppy play groups, where he was able to socialize with pups.
It all helped and he is unreactive to everything he was exposed to early in his imprinting periods.
Most schools around here won't let you bring dogs on property, but local parks where your pup could observe the kids running, screaming will be good exposure.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Socializing is not just about getting your dog to meet a lot of new people, it is also about exposing them to a lot of new environments. I never did the restaurant thing (I hardly ever go into town), but I always make the effort to give my dogs as much exposure to different venues that I can.

I work in a helicopter maintenance center, so Keeta and Gryff have visited the hangar and my office many times. Got to walk around the airport, out on the tarmac with helicopters doing ground runs, etc.

Taken them to horse boarding places, walk around the paddocks, and went in a community riding arena too. Sit in the bleachers watching people ride, and a lot of people and little kids would come up to pet my dogs.

Did the same thing at a skating rink with Gryffon. He found it very interesting, even though hockey practice was on, and the noice was deafening - he actually got bored after half an hour and lay down.

I've been to a local ski hill (probably not a lot of those in Arizona :) ), just hung around by the ski lifts and watched all the kids coming down and skidding to a halt on skis, snowboards, falling, tumbling, yelling out to each other, and so on. No issues of course.

Different training venues will get you pup out and socialized in different places, building, new dogs, people, etc . . .

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It depends on the area. There are a lot of stores around here that allow dogs, if you just ask or know how to find them. I live in Chicago and there are several books about places to take your dog in Chicago-- if you are in or near a big city there might be something like that in your area.
Also keep in mind you want to expose your puppy to many different places, people, animals, surfaces, noises, and objects as possible and expose them to each thing multiple times.
Here is a good list of things your puppy should be exposed to:
200 Absolutely Essential Puppy Socialization Experiences

This link has an actual checklist of experiences, with spaces to check each one off at different ages (8-9 weeks, 10-11 weeks etc...): http://www.clickerleash.com/Puppy socialization checklist.pdf

My city has a new law which started a few years ago that restaurants must get a special license in order to allow dogs in their outdoor seating and must follow certain rules.

Here is a good link about how to properly socialize:
How to socialize

Here are some links about pet friendly places in Arizona. I'd also suggest searching for the name of your town and "pet friendly" on google.

DogFriendly.com - Arizona Travel Guide for Dog Owners

Top 10 Dog Friendly Cities in Arizona

Arizona Dog Events

Home

Pet Friendly Restaurants - Dog Friendly Restaurants - Dog Pet Friendly Bars - Pet Friendly Travel

Arizona Fun For Dogs

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check those links out tomorrow - right now I'm using the neighbor's wireless and even though I have a full connection, it's so sloooow. lol

I have a quick question (this is probably answered in the links), but can you take them into places like Kohl's and Old Navy; just clothing stores? Mom guessed that you could take them inside anywhere where they don't sell food, but she wasn't sure.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'll check those links out tomorrow - right now I'm using the neighbor's wireless and even though I have a full connection, it's so sloooow. lol

I have a quick question (this is probably answered in the links), but can you take them into places like Kohl's and Old Navy; just clothing stores? Mom guessed that you could take them inside anywhere where they don't sell food, but she wasn't sure.
Not in general but some may allow dogs. I've been told Bloomingdales is dog friendly but I am not sure if that is everywhere and I've heard they are biased and sometimes will kick out big dogs.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Not in general but some may allow dogs. I've been told Bloomingdales is dog friendly but I am not sure if that is everywhere and I've heard they are biased and sometimes will kick out big dogs.
I read this and had a flash of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" a GSD saying "But look, I have money!!" :silly:

ETA the useful info....

Home Dept, though definitely call first because it depends on the store. our local one used to allow them, but people started turning their dogs loose in the garden area.

Lowe's, the same.

don't overlook places that have outside waiting areas. Wal-mart is a good place to hang out on the benches outside and see lots of different people and traffic going by. Outlet malls or shopping centers where it's a complex of several buildings. Sit on the benches under the trees and watch the crowd go by. etc etc

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mom said that she sees dogs in Lowe's and Home Depot all the time, but I'll still call. :)

Whenever I find stores that allow dogs, I'm going to take my pup everywhere I possibly can with me. LOL

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I take mine to all the outdoor (free) concerts around here, all the farmers markets, walk-a-thons, its winter here, so the ice festivals, and just this last Friday, Max and his Girl friend, (shes an Afghan hound) went for a ride in a horse drawn carriage, the GF and I on one side and Max and his sweetie on the other

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i took my dog everywhere to socialize. dog parks, pet stores,
puppy class, supermarkets, woods, at home (had lots of
people visit), dog/puppy play groups at my house, had the neighbors
play with the puppy over/through the fence, walk through
flocks of birds in the woods, visited horse farms (i knew we would
encounter horses in the woods), visit friends, went to the Vet
2 or 3 times a week for treats and mock exams (no charge, our Vet
encouraged all of the visits), went to the bank 2 or 3 times
a week ( we would walk through the line 2 or 3 times).

i waited untill my dog was trained before we went to restaurants.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Yet ANOTHER great reason to start researching puppy and dog classes is because you start meeting other 'dog nuts' who know EVERYTHING and willingly pass it on! What dog event is going on when and where seemed like a 'big secret' until I joined the Wonderful World of Dog People'. And they do seem to spend the extra time and money that classes require.

So if you find a great puppy kindergarten, I'm betting you'll also get a great resource for dog friendly places. PLUS an entire new group of people/puppies that you will then know and trust and can visit their homes, socialize with their puppies, take walk/hikes with their families, and have the DOG SIT (and vice versa) if you do have to ever go away (I'm not a lover of kennels if I can use a friend instead).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts