German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our boy for almost a month now but have never done any pest control in the yard. I have a very minimal knowledge about bugs that could hurt my dog. I don't want to wait on husband anymore because he takes forever! So I took initiative by finding pest control in town. When I see their websites, I realize I have no idea what I want them to come here for. What do I need to prevent? Flea? Ticks? Are they seasonal?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I never used pesticides other than sevin dust, but I used a fair share of roundup in past times. I have not used any for several years now and don't intend to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I will put a plug in for things like that - nothing chemical, no lawn services. I once used milky spore on grubs and holy wow! I ended up with such thick grass that it made using the hand mower really rough.

Studies Have Linked Lawn Pesticides with Canine Malignant Lymphoma - Whole Dog Journal Article not a great study, as they point out, but highlights a risk.
I have a graduate degree in Environmental Toxicology and did my research on pesticides (uptake into the organism and cell, effects on cell and DNA) and let me tell you: MINIMIZE your exposure to them! They cause cancer, lipophilic ones bioaccumulate in the dog (particularly harmful if you are a breeder) and certain ones have hormonal effects. Well documented in several animal species from invertebrates to mammals. Bad news! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Personally, I cannot stomach the idea of giving my beloved GSD a pesticide on her skin or internally (flea, tick, wormer), so I will spend the time evaluating what buggers are out there, her potential contact probability and the risk of not doing anything or enough.

For example, right now we do have ticks outside. Grrrr.... Heartworm is not something I am willing to gamble with. Fleas? Well, the risk right now is low because we don't hang out in flea infested areas. But if that's a problem, I'll have to look at that too.

So, in treating the yard...remember whatever you put on the ground will seep into the groundwater eventually. More importantly, be careful in your application of products - they (especially organophosphates) can act as neurotoxins when inhaled (dizzy, jittery, sweaty).

I can walk the pesticide/herbicide aisle at Home Depot, read the labels and remember all the studies I've either done or read for my research. Bad juju.

Bottom line, I think we do evaluate what we have to do, but be careful to not overdo it.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am really impressed by the nematodes you can buy at Arbico organics. The woods surrounding my house were full of ticks last year but my yard was a safe haven.

I have used and plan to use unless I hear something bad bacillus thuringis (Mosquito Dunks) in the intermittent creek behind my house and in a tree stump hole in my yard.

Your risk management approach (determining which is the greater evil) is one I appreciate!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I guess it depends on your area. We have a guy come out for the perimeter of the house and certain yard spots. We have pretty nasty bugs here though. I could deal with ants and daddy long legs back east, but the black widows and scorpions here are another matter entirely. But we don't have fleas or ticks - so thasts a bonus I guess.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
dont do it.
All animals are territorial, but only humans take it this serious. We dont allow bugs or germs into our territory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts