German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met someone today in petsmart who had a gsd she said it waas her "personal support dog" was wondering if anyone else here had one? I was kind of confused as to what it was at first as i had never heard of it.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I think that means "I don't have a disability but I want to take my dog everywhere bc he makes me not scared"

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's for people with extreme anxiety issues, learning disabilities, things like that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do they get to go everywhere with the person like a guide dog? I also wonder if the dog is trained in a certian way or to do certian tasks etc..

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Yes, but a PSD is an actual service dog that assists someone with a psychiatric disability, while the ESA is just a comforting presence in the home. You mentioned this happened at petsmart, where dogs are already allowed. A PSD accompanies their partner everywhere, while the ESA can only accompany the partner on an airplane or where pets are allowed. Canada has very strict laws regarding service animals, and only gives public access rights to those animals who have been trained through an accepted organization and requires them to carry certification at all times for this public access.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've never heard of the term "personal support dog".
There are many types of service/assistance dogs and there are emotional support dogs but "personal support" is a first. It sounds like a personal assistant. ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yes, but a PSD is an actual service dog that assists someone with a psychiatric disability, while the ESA is just a comforting presence in the home. You mentioned this happened at petsmart, where dogs are already allowed. A PSD accompanies their partner everywhere, while the ESA can only accompany the partner on an airplane or where pets are allowed. Canada has very strict laws regarding service animals, and only gives public access rights to those animals who have been trained through an accepted organization and requires them to carry certification at all times for this public access.
I think they should do this here (have a cert. for the individual to carry).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I disagree. The way the laws are currently set up give the most rights to the PWD (person with disability.) For many, acquiring a SD through an organization is not an option. You can be required to fundraise 20,000+ to pay for the dog, or wait years on a list. Most organizations require the dog to be returned upon retirement, and won't place a dog in a home with any other pets.

I already had a multi pet home before deciding a service animal would be a big help. I also don't have the money or ability to fundraise, prefer to choose my breed (GSD), am absolutely unwilling to return a dog upon retirement... So I will only ever have owner trained SDs.

As for some type of federal certification while still allowing owner trained dogs... Where would the money come from? Its not going to happen. Its also incredibly invasive when employees start questioning you about your disability and your dog.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I disagree. The way the laws are currently set up give the most rights to the PWD (person with disability.) For many, acquiring a SD through an organization is not an option. You can be required to fundraise 20,000+ to pay for the dog, or wait years on a list. Most organizations require the dog to be returned upon retirement, and won't place a dog in a home with any other pets.

I already had a multi pet home before deciding a service animal would be a big help. I also don't have the money or ability to fundraise, prefer to choose my breed (GSD), am absolutely unwilling to return a dog upon retirement... So I will only ever have owner trained SDs.

As for some type of federal certification while still allowing owner trained dogs... Where would the money come from? Its not going to happen. Its also incredibly invasive when employees start questioning you about your disability and your dog.
I was referring to only the certification part with my response (sorry). Yes I imagine setting up a federal agency for this would be as costly and run as well as, say, other federal agencies:D. I just think that it would help people with disabilities avoid being asked invasive questions all the time and would prevent people from just putting a vest on their dog b/c they like taking them into places they shouldn't.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
They don't all require this. My brother-in-law got a guide dog recently and they allow you to have other pets (they already had a cat), the dog was provided for free and the recipient gets to decide if they want to keep the dog when retired.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
They don't all require this. My brother-in-law got a guide dog recently and they allow you to have other pets (they already had a cat), the dog was provided for free and the recipient gets to decide if they want to keep the dog when retired.
My examples were pulled from various organizations, not all have the same requirements. But when I was looking at them, every single one had something that wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It would be interested to see or read about the life of a PSD and its partner. Just a world some of us never get to see. Felt so ignroant when i had no idea what the lady meant when she was talking to me about her PSD.

Dogs are such amazing animals.

When you guys say retired you mean when the dog is to old to perform the work?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct me if i am wrong but things like birds, cats, rabbits can all be ESA but only dogs are PSA (psychiatric)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It would be interested to see or read about the life of a PSD and its partner. Just a world some of us never get to see. Felt so ignroant when i had no idea what the lady meant when she was talking to me about her PSD.

Dogs are such amazing animals.

When you guys say retired you mean when the dog is to old to perform the work?
There is a section on service dogs here. Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs - German Shepherd Dog ForumsYou can read through some posts.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to Service Dogs and Therapy Dogs where you might find a lot of information about the different types of dogs and what they do. :) Another place to look at is Service Dog Central - Service Dog Central | Your ultimate source for service dog information

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Correct that only dogs can be service animals, but emotional support animals can be other species. Only service animals with their partner have any public access rights.

You were in petsmart though, so I really believe the dog you met was an ESA.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Recent area of involvement. There are dogs that are social therapy dogs for emotionally challenged persons. I have provided such dogs and spent as much time and did as thorough and comprehensive a job in preparing them , and critically evaluated them against a standard as I would any dog going for evaluation for police work. Failure to pass each aspect with a wide margin - no iffy , on the fence , or nearly , was cause to remove them from this calling . You really have to know your dogs since you pick them from pup age . You really need to know the end users needs and difficulties. The person had severe panic disorder , was under the care of a psychiatrist. The dog allowed him to have the confidence and mental calmness to function normally in a work place where the dog accompanied him every day . Eventually he gathered enough confidence and because he had regular long term employment was able to leave his family home and strike out on independent living. As part of the dogs training I would go to Torontos public transit, on and off escalators during rush hour , travel in the subway, all public transit modes. I would visit "friendly" small office buildings and ride the elevator to the 4th (top) floor and down . I would go to warehouses when deliveries got unloaded. Went to parades with sirens , and bands. Go to the boardwalk where you had everything imaginable -- in line skaters, loose running dogs, baby carriages etc etc. The dog was examined at his end to get the papers which allowed him access. Now I don't think that the rights and privileges were as extensive as a guide dog so he wouldn't be taking it to restaurants etc , which were outside of his personality anyway . We did take him to an outdoor cafe, or if you go to the Danforth (Toronto people will know) there are enough sidewalk cafes where you can tie the dog to the wrought iron enclosure and be seated beside the dog on the opposite side of the fence.
Of course the public will come and pat the doggy or stand there talking to the dog.

There are programmes where you have dogs visiting schools to help children learn to read. The dogs are non judgmental and have all the time to wait .

Dogs deserve a lot of credit to how they enhance our lives.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts