German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Love it! Someday I hope to have a dog like that :) Makes me a bit jealous knowing that mine is not confident enough to ever be trained like that, though.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
what if a kid is just mocking the dog when the owner is inside the store? they should do that scenario because it is more likely to happen then getting mugged. if the dog bit and the kid sued, dog would be in big trouble right?

or what if a lady shoves me in a parking lot over a parking spot? i wouldnt want my dog to bite. my life isnt in danger. if someone shoved me, is the dog trained to automatically bite or should he only bite on verbal command? if he bit that lady, i'd think he'd also be in big trouble?

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Great video...shows that it isn't about ego! I enjoyed the scenario's to prove the balanced temperament. Not a fan of leaving him alone to his own devices....not a good choice.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What kind of dog is that? It has the coloring of a mal, but seems bulkier....handsome/pretty, either way!

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Comment below the video:

Uploaded on Jan 3, 2010
Family protection dog. Diego was selected due to his balanced nature. This very handsome dog will be your best friend and family protector. He was raised in the home with children, and is neutral with other dogs and pets. He has received extensive training in thesport of KNPV. Imported from the Netherlands with the help of our friends at Werkhondenkennel Rosan

·
Registered
874 Posts
LOL I know the video is just to show how a properly trained pp behaves..but this made me tired. I could be in and out of the store 2 times if I wasn't doing all of that.

I guess for me a pp dog would be left to guard the house and the family at home. ..not to be taken out on a daily trip to the store.

..but i understand the video is just to show how it works.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
What kind of dog is that? It has the coloring of a mal, but seems bulkier....handsome/pretty, either way!
That is a Belgian Malinois. Same breed as my MaDeuce is.

As for the video. All that, up until protection is what the BH is supposed to be for. All that is how you would be able to live in Germany on a daily basis. That video shows exactly what I am used to. Take your dog shopping, to the Cafe, basically have a companion on your side and all of this, is basically, simple and basic obedience, every dog should know.

I love how the dog watches. You can tell that he is watching every person that is passing by, but he's calm, laid back and enjoys himself.

Also, Malinois are love bugs. I know there are some that can't be taken out in public, just like with Shepherds, but generally, from the ones I know, all of them are love bugs. They want to love on you. They are not as aloof as Shepherds. At least all the ones I know are not aloof and want to be "loved on".

Perfect Video. :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Though I guess I am the only one wondering what she did with the baby while in the store? Handed it off, I guess (hope) to the person taking the video...........

Very nice. Wouldn't it be nice if we were responsible enough here to be able to do that with our dogs?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mrs.K, I need to get around Mals on a more real-life basis. My only experience is seeing/participating in the training of them in LE scenarios and a a handful of SchH scenarios. I am always hearing that they aren't good family dogs, are way too drivey, and aren't calm or balanced. That they are great for "the job" they're given, but beyond that are pretty crazy. I personally don't like the "Look" of the ones I've met in person, pretty skinny, lanky, etc...but man can they get the job done. I love the look of the one in this video, never seen one like him.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
It is true that they are demanding dogs. For our family, MaDeuce is perfect. However, she is faster to judge, react and her suspicion level is highter than a GSD's.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
A lot of what you hear or read on forums is only selectively true:p, there are many Mals that make excellent family dogs, some don't , it's all depends on individual dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
A lot of what you hear or read on forums is only selectively true:p, there are many Mals that make excellent family dogs, some don't , it's all depends on individual dog.
Very true. Most Mals I met, including my own, are total love bugs. Also, while a bit more demanding, she has just as much an off switch like the Shepherds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Great video! That's how it's supposed to be!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I see a well behaved dog in rather boring non stimulating environments. Lets see a video of him off leash at a pool party or a soccer game.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts