561 - 580 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Don't be shy. Speak your mind.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
There's only one gold in a litter, and he/she is usually the first out of the box. Occasionally you'll have a hard time picking between 2 front runners, but normally there's a clearly identifiable silver.
Disagree, strongly.
If a breeder has done their job and knows their business litters should be largely uniform. It may happen that a particular pup shows a bit less, and historically those went to someone's little one as a first dog. That's not to say individual dogs don't have different personality traits or strengths.
This is the difference between studying pedigrees and studying dogs.

You can sit here until doomsday studying your percentages and pedigrees or you could learn from breeders who have actually studied the dogs.

because so few breeders cull

you aren't supposed to be breeding pet bunnies with these genetics

propensity to bite x notable temperament flaw = cull
At this point I have to question if you actually know what a temperament flaw is?
Because I'm not certain you have a solid handle on what a GSD should be, or how to raise one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really don't want to go here. I like you. You're the yin to the yang around here. Without you, we'd be all yang. But you talk about your dog's faults all the time, and now you demand the market be flooded with more of the same...

so, fine. you win. "save the puppies." kumbaya...

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I really don't want to go here. I like you. You're the yin to the yang around here. Without you, we'd be all yang. But you talk about your dog's faults all the time, and now you demand the market be flooded with more of the same...

Wow, that's a little bit of a low blow.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Didn't you dump an "outstanding" dog because you couldn't and didn't know how to handle him?

·
Registered
6,473 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
you're in so far over your head here, "jack," I won't even waste my time :)

(that's a little inside joke between me and jack, everybody)
Yeah “jack” you better watch out. He reads a lot of books about dogs. And watches this website that’s filled with information only accessible by him. I think it’s called YouTube.

Seriously though..how do I stop getting notifications from this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,473 Posts

·
Registered
6,473 Posts

·
Registered
6,251 Posts

Yup. By any breed standard she's a loser. Which is exactly why she was never put up for adoption, she will remain with someone dedicated to making sure she is no threat to herself or others, and why she will never reproduce. No one needs more of these genetics. BUT She's my loser. And she has achieved more, fought harder then anyone expected and she has done it with a grace and spirit people should envy. This dog should be held up as a standard, not of the breed but of courage and strength. You have no idea of the odds she beat just to earn the right to be a loser.

It's also why I put my money where my mouth was and fought tirelessly to see her breeder shut down, and as many others like him as I could find. Its why I advocate for responsible rescue and ethical breeding.
And why people who are trying to change a wonderful breed into something else get the sharp edge of my tongue.
There will always be a market for well bred German Shepherds because people love them. A well bred dog should fit near any situation as long as it's needs are met.
David's Valor is a perfect example of what the breed should be.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's been a good thread, and I'm sorry to see it go sour. I'm going to crosspost my little anecdote in it's entirety because I think it speaks right to the heart of the matter at hand (no pun intended):

"I read old ddr threads and see the phrase "be careful what you wish for" a lot. I had to rehome a dog (not gsd) due to handler aggression years ago. 27 inches tall, well over 70lbs. I used to throw his ball downhill, and using the steep incline to his advantage, he'd catch it on the bounce like 10 feet in the air. He was an outstanding specimen.
One day he was in his kennel, I had a female in heat, and his 6 month old son was loose, "on perimeter duty." Somehow the dog got out of his kennel and went after the son. I managed to catch him by the tail and he spun around on me. I thought to myself "no way this dog would ever bite me" so I stuck my hand right into his mouth. SNAP went the jawtrap.
Bucket of cold water was no use. I had to put all my weight on top of him, and choke him off with his heavy duty prong collar. We had a very short lived love hate relationship after that, and I'll never play piano right again. So when you read that expression "be careful what you wish for." I'm telling you what, buckwheat :) "

and now I'm going on hiatus for awhile

I'll be back after jack get's himself banned. won't be long

561 - 580 of 677 Posts