521 - 540 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Show me the dog you’ve trained.
What I've trained is irrelevant.

According to United Schutzhund Club of America:

Character
The German Shepherd Dog must be well-balanced (with strong nerves) in terms of character, self-assured, absolutely natural and (except for a stimulated situation) good-natured as well as attentive and willing to please. He must possess instinctive behaviour, resilience and self-assurance in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, protection, service and herding dog.

You said you've never seen a good handler/trainer with a "bad" dog. IMO, that dog in the video does NOT meet the breed standard and therefore is a "bad" dog according to the standard.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I’m not sure I follow you. Is this what the trainers you’re talking about told you? I’ve never heard a trainer say the phrase that’s a bad dog, not in the way we’re talking here. When I’ve talked to them about the dogs they wash, it’s usually they weren’t working at level I want, or health, or so on. Yes bad is subjective. I will tell you I believe there are no bad dogs only bad trainers.
Bad is subjective. It's okay to say that a dog is bad. They aren't kids. We don't have to give them all trophies. Poor genetics, mental crossed wires, ill health, etc., are a reflection of the dog, not the trainer.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Responsible, ethical breeders do not pawn problems or mistakes off on unsuspecting homes. I assure you it’s not funny, and it’s certainly not fun, but it does come with the territory.

Once the decision is final, get it over with ASAP. Don’t put it off. Don’t procrastinate, don’t angst, just do your duty. Done and over with in less than a blink of your eye. Put it behind you and move on. Time and resources are finite. You can’t devote either or to a cull without putting your get at a disadvantage.

novotny should have linked to the thread. No doubt volumes more bernowisdoms were right there for the pickin’...

I am chomping at the bit here for a litter and will keep you posted. Promise.
Why don't you link to the thread?

Just because a puppy is not up to your expectations doesn't mean it's not a perfect pup for someone else. Just place it in an appropriate home.

So tell me, how are you, Rionel, Chris Svoboda, and Jakubnovotny related?

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
Responsible, ethical breeders do not pawn problems or mistakes off on unsuspecting homes. I assure you it’s not funny, and it’s certainly not fun, but it does come with the territory.

Once the decision is final, get it over with ASAP. Don’t put it off. Don’t procrastinate, don’t angst, just do your duty. Done and over with in less than a blink of your eye. Put it behind you and move on. Time and resources are finite. You can’t devote either or to a cull without putting your get at a disadvantage.

novotny should have linked to the thread. No doubt volumes more bernowisdoms were right there for the pickin’...

I am chomping at the bit here for a litter and will keep you posted. Promise.
You mean with your centuries of experience you don't have ANY video?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bad is subjective. It's okay to say that a dog is bad. They aren't kids. We don't have to give them all trophies. Poor genetics, mental crossed wires, ill health, etc., are a reflection of the dog, not the trainer.
The vast majority of problems I see with dogs are handler related. That is to say, put the dog with someone better and the dog will do better. Health is a different conversation as far as I’m concerned. As for trophies, I’ve never seen a dog show me theirs, so I don’t think that matters.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you kidding me lol.

It's no wonder why good German Shepherds are getting harder to find.
That dog was under prepared in that first video. I asked you how he did in the second one. You didn’t offer anything about it at all. If you don’t like showlines, that’s fine. Just come out and say it.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
The vast majority of problems I see with dogs are handler related. That is to say, put the dog with someone better and the dog will do better. Health is a different conversation as far as I’m concerned. As for trophies, I’ve never seen a dog show me theirs, so I don’t think that matters.
I agree that most dog problems are created by the handler but that doesn't mean that there aren't any bad dogs. There's a lot of them. It doesn't matter if the dog might do better with another handler. Some dogs are simply bad dogs.

Of course dogs don't show you their trophies. Most don't have any. Like I said, we don't give them trophies for participation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree that most dog problems are created by the handler but that doesn't mean that there aren't any bad dogs. There's a lot of them. It doesn't matter if the dog might do better with another handler. Some dogs are simply bad dogs.

Of course dogs don't show you their trophies. Most don't have any. Like I said, we don't give them trophies for participation.
That is probably the closest we’re going to get to agreeing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You mean with your centuries of experience you don't have ANY video?
if I have to wait to showcase my new NEXT LEVEL state of the art Kynological Laboratory (!!!), so can you. Somebody will go into heat around here eventually. Be forewarned, I expect I'll have to dock at least some f1 tails. My investors won't abide big 'ol gsdxgs tails knocking the lamps off their endtables. I'm only trying to raise the bar here, Winners, and you may not get to see anything if you don't moderate your new friend :D

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
if I have to wait to showcase my new NEXT LEVEL state of the art Kynological Laboratory (!!!), so can you. Somebody will go into heat around here eventually. Be forewarned, I expect I'll have to dock at least some f1 tails. My investors aren't going to abide big 'ol gsdxgs tails knocking the lamps off of their endtables. I'm only trying to raise the bar here, Winners, and you may not get to see anything if you don't moderate your new friend :D
If nothing else, you are consistent

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
349 Posts
I guess what I’m saying is the quality of the dog is determined more by the quality of the handler than genetics.
I think there's a good deal of truth in this. I'm certainly not the world's greatest trainer, so the world's greatest dog wouldn't look his best on the end of my lead.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
if I have to wait to showcase my new NEXT LEVEL state of the art Kynological Laboratory (!!!), so can you. Somebody will go into heat around here eventually. Be forewarned, I expect I'll have to dock at least some f1 tails. My investors won't abide big 'ol gsdxgs tails knocking the lamps off their endtables. I'm only trying to raise the bar here, Winners, and you may not get to see anything if you don't moderate your new friend :D
Are you disturbed by Jakub's input?

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
I guess what I’m saying is the quality of the dog is determined more by the quality of the handler than genetics.
I completely disagree with this.

I can take a student that has never held a leash before and help them become a decent handler in a couple months. You put them with a crap dog and you get crap. You put them with a rock star and you get a good team. The handler is often the dumb end of the leash.

·
Registered
349 Posts
that's great Winners, but you can't teach everybody :D

edit: I take that back. I should have said "if only"

I don't doubt your training prowess for a nanosecond

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
521 - 540 of 682 Posts