German Shepherds Forum banner

501 - 520 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are plenty of top notch handlers/trainers/competitors that have washed dogs. Sometimes they are with dogs that they should have washed.
Those dogs are washed because they don’t work to that trainer’s standards. The doesn’t mean they can’t work or are bad dogs. Just because a dog doesn’t work, doesn’t make it bad.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Those dogs are washed because they don’t work to that trainer’s standards. The doesn’t mean they can’t work or are bad dogs. Just because a dog doesn’t work, doesn’t make it bad.
Evidently those trainers don't agree with you. Bad is subjective.

Reactions: jakubnovotny

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
that's what I'm talking about! love it!!

no, not by any stretch. top tier prey is not well suited to sites/situations like mine.
I’m saying just enough prey to do hidden sleeve is more than enough protection for me, here.
Hidden sleeve = level 111 pirate protection dog.

Genetics? well, believe it or not some people do train other breeds. Training? Well, try training a dalmatian or whatever. Genetics = nature, training = nurture.

natura quod, nutrio

I gleaned a TON of inspiration from canczech’s puppy exercises

this video really struck me as well. Something just clicked in my brain? Then I came across a decrepit old HUGE cedar swingset. Free for the taking, just tear it down and haul it off, so I did. Now I'm building a mini SAR style puppy training course out of it.
I hope that when you get your mini SAR training course done that you will start posting pictures and videos of your dog instead of random internet pictures. Google is everyone's friend, not just yours.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Reactions: jakubnovotny

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I'll document a litter from start to finish here just for you :)
After what you previously posted on another thread about your own pup's raising and training, I don't think I will have the heart to follow. I tend to view my dogs as more than livestock.

·
Registered
349 Posts

It's hard. You can't be emotional. You have to be clinical. Intestinal fortitude.

There's a line you cross, at some point, and there's no going back. You can't undo what's been done, and either you know in your gut you're doing right, or you quit and repent. This is why I'll never breed purebred gsd x purebred gsd again.

frankly I believed I'd never touch another gsd, ever; until decades later, fate delivered one to my door

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
It's hard. You can't be emotional. You have to be clinical. Intestinal fortitude.

There's a line you cross, at some point, and there's no going back. You can't undo what's been done, and either you know in your gut you're doing right, or you quit and repent. This is why I'll never breed purebred gsd x purebred gsd again.

frankly I believed I'd never touch another gsd, ever; until decades later, fate delivered one to my door
I think your intestinal fortitude isn't working as well as you think. It seems your gut is misleading you. Your dog is an animal, treat him as a tool if you want, but respect that animal that you want to be able to "deploy for your purposes".

·
Registered
41 Posts

Culling comes with the territory here, Dr. Blasiole. I raised a family in these woods. I had to quit hunting shortly after we started raising our own meat because the freezer is always full. I’ve done so much culling in fact that I coined my very own little latin culling motto years ago: “praecisionem exactus.” - berno von der seeweise
LOL

·
Registered
6,518 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Berno, number 1 you aren't likely to find a great deal of support coming to a breed specific forum and slamming that breed, and number 2 we tend to be very much a put your money were your mouth is bunch.
If the pups you raise are so awesome prove it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Evidently those trainers don't agree with you. Bad is subjective.
I’m not sure I follow you. Is this what the trainers you’re talking about told you? I’ve never heard a trainer say the phrase that’s a bad dog, not in the way we’re talking here. When I’ve talked to them about the dogs they wash, it’s usually they weren’t working at level I want, or health, or so on. Yes bad is subjective. I will tell you I believe there are no bad dogs only bad trainers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Responsible, ethical breeders do not pawn problems or mistakes off on unsuspecting homes. I assure you it’s not funny, and it’s certainly not fun, but it does come with the territory.

Once the decision is final, get it over with ASAP. Don’t put it off. Don’t procrastinate, don’t angst, just do your duty. Done and over with in less than a blink of your eye. Put it behind you and move on. Time and resources are finite. You can’t devote either or to a cull without putting your get at a disadvantage.

novotny should have linked to the thread. No doubt volumes more bernowisdoms were right there for the pickin’...
Prove it..

Where’s your litters that are so great?
I am chomping at the bit here for a litter and will keep you posted. Promise.

501 - 520 of 682 Posts