German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to get a GSD in the near future. My current situation is myself and my GF living in our own house with a big backyard.

The only problem is I work away in the mines on a 1 week on, 1 week off roster. The GSD is meant to be my dog, and I will be the one training it on my weeks off. I am just worried the puppy won't remember me after a week away or will struggle with the training and obeying my commands when I can only train it every other week.

My GF only works part time, and only for a few hours a week, so she is home most of the time, and can train. But I dont want her to be its primary master.

Can anyone recommend anything I can do that would improve the situation?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think your situation can work, since your GF will be home to help care for the pup.

You will have to believe me...GSD's live for their people. They are highly intelligent and your dog will certainly not forget you. :) I actually have a couple of friends that I don't see too often, but when I do we go for hikes with their dogs, or dog sporting events, and even though my dog doesn't often see them, the moment she claps her eyes on them she cries and is excited and wants to see them. Trust me, your dog will not forget you!

As to who the dog picks, some are family dogs, some seem to be more of a one person dog.

I would just suggest that you spend a lot of quality time with the dog when you can. Work on training, go to training classes, go for hikes etc.

As to who the dog will prefer, that is up to the dog. Some dogs just click with certain people, so to a certain extent that is beyond your control, but I think if you spend time working with your dog (they LOVE having a job to do, so maybe find a few different things you can work on together like nose work etc) then they will really bond with you.

Good luck, and when you're ready, the people here can help you find a great breeder!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't worry about your GF being the primary master. your
in the perfect situation to have a well trained, highly socialized
dog because your GF works part-time. your GF should train and socialize
the dog often. when you're home you train and socialize but that
doesn't mean your GF doesn't train and socialize because you're home.
i don't believe in "the pup is mine" or "the pup is hers" when you
live with someone. i believe in "the pup is ours" when you live with
someone. the dog isn't going to forget who you are because you're
away for a week.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't have much to say except don't expect the pup to choose you. They choose who they will BUT in my experience, they tend to choose the one who takes the majority of care with them. In this case, that will likely be your girlfriend since she's the one to consistently be around. My husband is home nights. He helps with the dogs but they're my dogs. I get up to leave the room, they follow. He gets up to leave the room, they stare for a second and then go back to laying there sleeping or chewing on a bone. I'm their primary caregiver. I feed them, make sure they have water, walk them, play with them. My husband is really just the occasional treat dispenser.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
KZoppa, that is funny.

I don't have much to say except don't expect the pup to choose you. They choose who they will BUT in my experience, they tend to choose the one who takes the majority of care with them. In this case, that will likely be your girlfriend since she's the one to consistently be around. My husband is home nights. He helps with the dogs but they're my dogs. I get up to leave the room, they follow. He gets up to leave the room, they stare for a second and then go back to laying there sleeping or chewing on a bone. I'm their primary caregiver. I feed them, make sure they have water, walk them, play with them.

>>>>> My husband is really just the occasional treat dispenser.<<<<<[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZoppa, that is funny.

I don't have much to say except don't expect the pup to choose you. They choose who they will BUT in my experience, they tend to choose the one who takes the majority of care with them. In this case, that will likely be your girlfriend since she's the one to consistently be around. My husband is home nights. He helps with the dogs but they're my dogs. I get up to leave the room, they follow. He gets up to leave the room, they stare for a second and then go back to laying there sleeping or chewing on a bone. I'm their primary caregiver. I feed them, make sure they have water, walk them, play with them.

>>>>> My husband is really just the occasional treat dispenser.<<<<<[/QUOTE]

lol its true!!! If he's not dispensing treats, they're like eh whatever! They love him and will play with him once in a while but the second I move or the treats are gone, they're outta there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts