German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old GSD was recently treated with cyclosporine (successfully) for perianal fistulas. He's currently in his first remission. We'd like to keep him in remission as long as possible. The vet has suggested an all natural food and we've taken that suggestion. As he's plush coated, we are also keeping his rear end area shaved down so we can make sure we notice any problems immediately.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions to keep him healthy?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Try Wellness fish and potato for a dog food and Prozyme powder. There is a GSD in a shelter near me that has them also and this is what they have him on.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Been there done this with two gsd's.

My latest one, Dodge, has been in remission for almost 3 years this summer. His pf's were the result of a blown anal gland thus not considered 'true pfs'.

We did a 3 month schedule of cyclo and that cleared them up. I also used/use Desitin, as in baby diaper reash creme, to close up a slight gash he got at one point.

I highly recommend joining, or checking out the PF site/list
http://members.tripod.com/~perianal-fistulas/MainIndex.html

I am a member here, and there is tons of great info on the site.

I think the first thing you have to know, is does the dog have "true" pf's or were they the result of infected/blown anal gland problems.

Definately keeping the area shaved is a good thing, I never changed food, as again, my dog didn't not suffer from allergies, ibd, colitis, sibo, or any other illness usually associated with pf dogs.

Diane

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a really good question. I have no idea if this was true PF or began as an anal gland problem. His course of cyclosporine was only 2 months, so I'm really not sure. I will ask my vet. Thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Kelly, actually a way to tell ,,has the dog ever had any allergy/ibd/colitis/ ANY health problems in the past? If not, and the pf's were the result of 'anal gland' issues, he probably got them BECAUSE of anal gland issues vs immune system problems..(which in my humble opinion are much easier to treat,,get rid of the glands get rid of the problem)..

But yes, ask your vet what his opinion is on the "why's" of the pf's..
diane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts