German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum, but was hoping I could get a straight answer or some direction. My 10 1/2 year old GS was diagnosed with Perianal fistula in September /2017. It cleared up for a couple of months. About 2 or 3 months ago it returned and I was told he has a serious case of it. Rocky was put on steroids, pepcid, an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory. He appears to be struggling to make a bowl movement and when he does it is diarrhea most times. My vet suggested to keep treating him he would have to be placed on immune suppressant medication that may cause him to develop additional infections. Since Since September of 2017 he lost 11lbs. In about 3 weeks he lost 4 lbs between his office visits. In addition he seems to be twitching/dragging his left rear leg. He appears to be a little more withdrawn with my wife and kids but still snuggles up to me. Once carpet has been destroyed from this disease. I can careless about the carpet. So I guess my question is, is it time to put him to sleep and send him to a better place. Mt vet wont give me an answer and just says its up to me. I know at the end of the day it is my decision. But I'm just looking for direction and reassurance from someone removed from my situation but also is familiar with German Shepard's.

Thanks in advance for any all advice and direction.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I am so sorry. My Wolfy had this and died of it. Same symptoms. Very deep fistulas. It was horrible for him and for us. He was only 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolfy Dog,

The thing that is troubling is that his mind is there. He will run out and play with my other dog and I but then he goes right back to what I stated above. So wolf experienced the same symptoms?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts