German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, a bitch is still a dog.

In my area, dogs are very well regarded. My GSD gets much more attention when walking than our Beagle does. I see some people that cower when they see the GSD and cross the street or get out of the way, but more often than not I get a very positive response.

Experienced dog handlers tend to immediately gravitate towards the GSD as well. Ours is a bi-color black and tan (no saddle, just black) and so she has a striking appearance that can either intimidate you or draw your attention.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Nearly everyone that passes us on the street in a vehicle looks at Lisl. It's hard not to. :wub:

Most around here automatically think "Police Dog". They've been watching too many episodes of Hogan's Hero's.

Many people coming at us will cross the street before passing us.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
At the puppy stage she got lots of attention, up until around 9 months or so. Then we got the walking across the street and leaving the isles crap. Now at just over 18 months, we are pretty close to being back to the attention she got as a puppy. She doesn't approach people or dogs, but accepts them approaching her(after sniffing the people). Some people she sniffs and politely turns away, which is my sign that she doesn't really care one way or another. She loves kids and doesn't turn away from them, most kids don't have a fear of her and are very happy to pet a "police dog".

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Bitch versus Dog (the correct terminology for female and male) will come down to personal preference. I've had bitches that were very tough, bitches that were lovers, dogs that were more aloof and dogs that were cuddlers.

Going forward it will be bitches only for me. I'm getting too old to lose sleep when the bitches do into season and the dog howl all night.

As for how people see GSDs around here - with me it's hard to tell because I have a long coated sable GSD. Very few people even KNOW he's a GSD. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
A lot of people approach us and ask questions about Riley. Some people appear to be scared, which surprises me. He's only 5 months old and does not act aggressive when we're out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since I've been taking my 11 week old out a lot more the best way I can describe how people act when they see him is of great respect and admiration, especially since he is a purebred.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Seems people either really love the breed or are terrified of GSDs. I constantly hear stories from people about the GSDs they had growing up and what great dogs they were. Then of course, there are the non story tellers who go on the other side of the street!

I love having a female. Most of my dogs have been male. (not just GSDs) Maybe I just like having another girl around....I had 2 brothers, 2 sons and most of my animals have been male......:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts