German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, if I am posting this in the wrong section, please forgive!
Last night I cooked up some ground turkey to add to Z's kibble, which is Kirkland Signature Chicken and rice. I feel terrible now because I have known he has a sensitive tummy, but I honestly thought it would be bland enough for him to tolerate with ease, but he woke me 3x's thru the night to go out and had diarrhea each time. He has been out twice this morning and is still trying to 'go' altho I haven't seen any more coming out. So my question is can/should I give him a little bit of pepto and will it help with the diarrhea? There will definitely be no more turkey added from now on and I desperately want to make him feel better as quick as possible. I feel horrible for this!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Im not sure about the Pepto but you could just give him some Oatmeal until his stomach straightens up. I have done this and it works:) the turkey might just have to works its way thru his system.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: SashmomIm not sure about the Pepto but you could just give him some Oatmeal until his stomach straightens up. I have done this and it works:) the turkey might just have to works its way thru his system.
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try the oatmeal!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Give him at least 12 hours after the last of the diarrhea before trying to give him anything to eat. The fact that he's still trying to go means that his system is still very upset and any more food will just make it worse. As the actual diarrhea seems to have stopped, I wouldn't give any Pepto or anything else at this time. Depending on what you've found that he can handle, I would start him back on a bland diet for a meal or two just to make sure that everything is working right again before putting him back on the kibble.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing he has successfully eaten with no probs is scrambled eggs. Other than that he only eats his kibble without problems. At this point I worry about giving him the egg too. I will wait the 12 hours and see how he is.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: AllieGDogs can have pepto.Whether it will work or not I can't say.They get 1tsp per 5lbs or 1/4 pill per 20lbs.I also give immodium AD and for Athena she get 1 pill.Good luck
Oh I never thought about Immodium AD!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I agree with Elaine. His body is trying to expell what has upset it, so you don't want to stop it. Next I agree with the fasting, no food, just make sure he is drinking. Then go with a bland diet and slowly bring back the kibble.

Was there skin on the Turkey? The reason I ask is turkey is usually pretty well tolerated unless there is a problem with your dog and fats.

Val

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No skin...just ground turkey. I browned it. Fed about 3-4 tablespoons with the kibble.

He is resting now, but I have to step out for a minute and when I do I imagine he will follow. I will watch him closely to see what he does and will report back. I do think I will give him the day to recoup without meds then gradually get him back to norm

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...he did have just a tad of watery diarrhea this time-seems to be the end is in sight. I am letting him rest. Throwing the left over turkey away and will not be altering his diet again! This is miserable for him. Later this afternoon, I will hose down the yard.

I am kicking myself for this!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Imodium is the trick. It works. It DOES NOT stop them up - it corrects the imbalance in the intestines.

Good luck. With sensitive German shepherds, if something doesn't upset their tummy, don't mess with it!

Don't feel bad, I'll admit I've done it before - but the good news is the dog still loves me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awww Doc!! Thank you
At least I know I am not the only one who has done this. Glad your dog still loves you
I think I have finally learned my lesson! I just don't understand why he is so sensitive. Especially with ground turkey because I heard it was bland. maybe he just can't handle too much protien? Either way, I am done trying to feed extra stuff. He can eat kibble quite well with no adverse affects. He was actually gaining weight. I have come to the conclusion that my vets scale is not calibrated correctly-everywhere else he is close to 60# but at my vet is only 55#

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I have used Immodium, but unless you have tested your dog for the mutant MRI gene then you could be playing with fire. It seems that this gene is popping up more often and giving Immodium to a dog with the Mutant MRI can be deadly. So deadly verses upset tummy and diahhrea I will deal with the upset tummy and the diahhrea.

Val

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wisc Tiger...that is good to know!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllieGWould the Pepto or Immodium coat the stomach and help it settle?It doesn't always stop the diarrhea especially if he isn't going anymore.
The pepto will. It also has some anti-bacterial effects I believe, as well as anti-inflammatory. This would be my first choice if the stomach gets to the point that it can hold no more food, a day or so after onset. I agree about not stopping things up.

Immodium can cause problems with the mdr1 mutation, and will not allow the body to eliminate in a way that it should. It works, but I would opt for pepto before this.

I would go with charcoal caps before either of them actually.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is almost 1pm for me here. Z had the diarrhea for about 12 hrs and that worried me so I went to the store and got Pepto, Imodium AD and Pedialite to restore electrolytes. I decided to give him the Pepto, because the Imodium worried me since he has not had that test for the mutant MRI gene. I offered the Pedialite but he didn't drink any. He wanted to play so we did but I limited it to 10 minutes. Then he cooled off in the pool(wading pool). Before we played I made sure the yard was hosed down and since he is afraid of the hose, he hid n his doghouse while I hosed the yard. I think he is feeling better but will keep a close eye on him for at least the next 24 hrs.(not that I don't ever keep a close eye)

I want to say a HUGE thank you to every one who offered advice!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lisa, Sorry I didn't see your post before I had made my decision and ran to the local walgreens. Glad I went with the Pepto. It was my first instinct. Maybe I really am learning something after all

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guess he is feeling Mucho better-frolicking in the pool and running in the yard like nothing happened. It has been about 2 hrs since his last bout of the runs, and one and a half hours since I gave him Pepto! He is currently outside the front door, but I won't let him in because he won't stay out of the water...LOL

1 - 20 of 58 Posts