German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching the local yard sales site just a little bit ago and found this....

Is anybody breeding their dog? We want a puppy!

Im looking for a family dog. My hubby is deployed & I want to surprise him before he comes home. The only thing is I want one that is 6 weeks old. Pretty much from someone whose breeding their animal... Please e-mail & let me know

i asked her if she realizes a puppy leaving its siblings and mom before 8 weeks of age can cause behavior problems among other issues. She replied with.... i know. I dont care. We want a puppy.

ICK! She's lucky i dont know where she lives other than on base housing somewhere. I'd go smack her upside her head! People seriously make me sick. and she doesnt even care (obviously) about what kind of dog or that she can go find a puppy at the shelter! i'm thoroughly disgusted. She can either go to a breeder or go to the shelter but nope! She wants someone who is breeding that shouldnt and just OMG i'm so mad!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
She needs to go to a shelter they have puppies there or does she not know that. She probably doesn't care.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She needs to go to a shelter they have puppies there or does she not know that. She probably doesn't care.

she flat out doesnt care! she told me that if i'm not breeding and going to GIVE her a puppy then to shut my mouth because i dont know what i'm talking about and that i have no respect for our troops. Like i said.... she's lucky i dont know where she lives other than base housing somewhere in the area. SHE is one of those many reasons so many animals end up in the shelters. I would be willing to bet that they'll get the puppy, the cute will wear off and suddenly come time to move there wont be room in the care for the dog, or the dog got bigger than she wanted. I also think she's trying to get the puppy before her hubby comes home because he's already said no before. She may be trying to have the puppy firmly in the house so its harder for hubby to dislodge when he gets home.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and i just got an email from housing about onslow shelter. They are encouraging people to stay away from the shelter due to it becoming a known parvo breeding ground. I JUST emailed a woman who adopted her pup from Onslow and the pup has parvo. She didnt walk away when she started getting suspicious when they did the parvo test, got her money and THEN said if the pup gets sick bring it back for a refund. I feel bad for her. she fell in love with the puppy and ended up watching him die. its very sad. she wanted to warn people about the shelter so thats two messages in one day about the shelter. ick.

·
Registered
940 Posts
She wants someone to GIVE her a 6-week old puppy?

*sigh* :headbang:

Maybe by emailing her you at least made her think that "gosh, maybe 6 weeks old is too young" and she'll do some research online.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She wants someone to GIVE her a 6-week old puppy?

*sigh* :headbang:

Maybe by emailing her you at least made her think that "gosh, maybe 6 weeks old is too young" and she'll do some research online.

i can only hope. but given her response i doubt it.

i'm also praying for everyone who's adopted a puppy/dog from the shelter recently.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Seems to me she has no respect for her husband. You should never surprise someone with a pet. I agree this poor pup will end up in a shelter!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to me she has no respect for her husband. You should never surprise someone with a pet. I agree this poor pup will end up in a shelter!

exactly! especially when they're coming home from nothing but work and stress for months on end. They come home from deployment and want to be lazy and breath. Not train a puppy they didnt totally want in the first place. not to mention if they have kids! he's got to get back into the routine of things at home and throwing an unwanted animal in only makes things harder to cope with. We had our dogs before hubby joined the military. Riley was so excited when my husband got home from a 9 months deployment back in 2009 he threw up his dinner and re-ate it. i never surprised him with a new pet. homecoming is a destresser and i think she's going to add stress to that poor guy!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
she told me that if i'm not breeding and going to GIVE her a puppy then to shut my mouth because i dont know what i'm talking about and that i have no respect for our troops.
Tell her she can take that attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Just because someone won't give you a FREE BYB puppy at only 6 weeks old doesn't mean they don't have "respect for our troops." And remind her that SHE IS NOT in the military, her husband is.

This is why hubby and I live AN HOUR from base and away from all the Army wife drama (including the FRG). Because there are plenty of military wives LIKE THIS. XD

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
she flat out doesnt care! she told me that if i'm not breeding and going to GIVE her a puppy then to shut my mouth because i dont know what i'm talking about and that i have no respect for our troops. Like i said.... she's lucky i dont know where she lives other than base housing somewhere in the area. SHE is one of those many reasons so many animals end up in the shelters. I would be willing to bet that they'll get the puppy, the cute will wear off and suddenly come time to move there wont be room in the care for the dog, or the dog got bigger than she wanted. I also think she's trying to get the puppy before her hubby comes home because he's already said no before. She may be trying to have the puppy firmly in the house so its harder for hubby to dislodge when he gets home.
Dang! what a moron!! Scary isn't it :eek::eek: You gotta feel for the husband.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My son just got out of a five year stint in the Army. He continually reminds me that many enlisted are teenagers. They marry young--especially when deployment looms. This woman sounds like a prime specimen of a young woman playing house without any real idea of responsibility. It's especially annoying that she plays the "support the troops" card.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My son just got out of a five year stint in the Army. He continually reminds me that many enlisted are teenagers. They marry young--especially when deployment looms. This woman sounds like a prime specimen of a young woman playing house without any real idea of responsibility. It's especially annoying that she plays the "support the troops" card.

also keep in mind a lot of wives, least around here, are of the mindset that they can do absolutely no wrong because they're married to someone in the military and wont get in trouble for anything. what they fail to realize if they get a speeding ticket and hubby's command finds out, hubby gets in trouble. This woman's behavior and general attitude are why i have only a couple friends here. Most everyone on my street has that attitude. its really scary and extremely sad.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
KZoppa--It can be lonely on post. I'm glad that you have your dogs. I bet that you have more influence than you know. You are setting a good example of responsible dog ownership.

·
Registered
655 Posts
that i have no respect for our troops.
I will run with that tangent a little bit here. The military members and spouses (and brats) that post on this board seem to be the old style self-sufficient, make it happen types that I remember from the early days of my military career and when I was a military brat. Strong folks who stick together when there are problems rather than whining about the difficulties. If I am right in that opinion, I hope some of the new members and dependents use you as role models.

End of my tangent, there is no reason why a spouse being deployed entitles anyone to a free puppy. When her husband gets home if they both want a dog they have a good way to spend time together looking for a dog. If he doesn't want a dog then they would not need the stress of the dog.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i feel sorry for the puppy that shes going to get because the husband will come home tells her he dont want a dog. and the puppy wil end up in a shelter

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The response of "I know, but I want a puppy" is ridiculous. Is she aware that, even at 8 weeks, the dog is STILL a puppy? Or does she think dogs magically reach adult age in the span of 2 weeks?

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you dislike that here is a doozy.......

I received a call yesterday from a girl who "rescued" 4- 4wk old Rottie/Doberman puppies from someone giving them away on the street. These pups are now dispersed throughout the family. The beginning of the phone call was about helping her by taking the pups getting them into a proper foster home and treating them medically and behaviorally. I went over with her all the risks: they could be carrying disease not to mention worms/parasite, they need proper nutrition especially since they are a large breed dog, they will need to be watched very closely and any behavior modifications addressed immediately since they do not have the mother or other litter mates guidance.
But I am not sure why she called because by the end of our conversation she stated they are going to "try it out" and the other pups had people coming over to possibly adopt!
I then explained PA state law and again reminded her that rehoming before 8 weeks was ILLEGAL and once those pups showed up at a reputable Vet he had the moral obligation to turn them in.
Once again, they will "see what happens".
Best part.....I asked her how big these pups are and what they are feeding.......they are "about" 2 pounds and bottle feeding formula from Petco.
No way are these pups even 4 weeks old :(
I am going to try and speak to the family again today but there really isn't anything left to do in this situation. It's truly sad but we all know where these pups are going to end up in a few months.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts