German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old 70lb female GSD with a short coat. She is very lean and dainty. With the exception of people who are familiar with the breed, everyone keeps thinking she is a husky mix and it is really annoying. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or does she not look standard for a female German Shepherd Dog? She's the red and black one in the photos, and the middle one at the dog park.

Sadie - Album on Imgur

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't know how anyone could mistake her for anything other than a GSD.
She's gorgeous!!

I've been asked what breed of dog Finn is,
Or people will ask if he's a mix.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Both our coaties are mistaken for other breeds, especially our WL, his coat is "bushy" similar to a malamute. I can understand those who mistake him for a husky/malamute mix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol thanks guys! The other dog is my silver sable male, Koda. He's plushy, bigger than standard. and has a fault where the tip of his tail curls. Lol I understand when people think he's a malamute mix, but Sadie I just didn't get it.

·
Super Moderator
6,282 Posts
in the dog park photo is she the gsd closest to the fence or the one directly in front of Koda?

·
Super Moderator
6,282 Posts
I understand how frustrating it can be, I'm constantly discussing my boys with the general public - what further complicates things are that mine are rescues... but to a trained eye, just as much shepherd as the next gsd despite size or coat.

that said, I think that your girl is one of those dogs that if you told me she was purebred, knowing the breed, I wouldn't doubt you. but if you told me she were mixed (a quarter or less) I wouldn't argue that either.

the reason I asked which dog she was in the second picture is because combined with the short coat, her back legs look really long and lack angulation. again, there are PB dogs with both these traits but if a grandparent were part greyhound or something I could see it. certainly not husky.

it's funny, I tend to shy away from the more standard Black and Tan stock coats... my first was a bi color then the long coats and now a sable - each time I say "ok finally a gsd that looks enough like a gsd that I won't have to explain types to people" that couldn't be father from the truth. I hear malinois every time I leave my front door with keystone.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
She looks purebred to me. There are five German Shepherds in that dog park and people say they don't make good dog park dogs. There you go, a picture speaks a thousand words.

·
Registered
104 Posts
She looks GSD to me. I would think that people might think the Sable is another breed or mix. Most people think a B&T is the only coat color for GSD's.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Many people think GSDs should look like rintintin. I've had long coats, I have a bi-color skinny one now. My first PB had a wavey coat down his back. A friend wanted to know what he was mixed with. My answer "GSD X GSD". Dobbies with natural ears get confused responses, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha Sadie has the wavy down her back too! She was a rescue from a puppy mill. They had over 200 dogs in terrible condition and were shut down. I'm glad I'm not the only one who deals with people asking what breed their dogs are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also all the German Shepherds in the park all love each other. It's like they scream, "OMG my people!!!" Lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I first saw her on the ground, I thought, "how can there be any confusion about what she is?" But standing up, I can see how there could be some people asking if she was maybe a quarter something else, what with those long legs she has.

She looks purebred to me. There are five German Shepherds in that dog park and people say they don't make good dog park dogs. There you go, a picture speaks a thousand words.
The ones I see at dog parks all seem to love it.

One female I often see, Yuki...about 13 months old...such a sweetie. Well behaved, confident, welcomes people who approach her, and loves playing with other dogs. A few weeks ago she was chasing/following another dog around with a stick in her mouth, begging it to play with her. She was sad that my dog, who usually gives her tons of running, was too pre-occupied with swimming (sometimes he just never wants to leave the water).

All gsds at the two parks I visit are happy around the other dogs. Especially the younger ones, getting a chance to run around and play. The older ones? Calmer and happy to get some nice pets from people. Maybe play a game of fetch.

Friday, an older gent was there with his Lady. Said she was 9 years old. He tossed a little frisbee for her and she was moving well and pain free, enjoying herself, despite being a little overweight. He said he limits how much he has her sprinting like that in fear of her hips eventually turning bad suddenly with her age. Said his other was recently put down--at 13 years old! She was nice and fine with my boy hanging with her, too--wouldn't let him steal her frisbee, though (no aggression. Just kept side stepping & turning whenever he tried. She wanted to play fetch, not chase). Ugh, I wish I could give that sweet old gal a hug again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSD... but even if she was a mix, she's a beautiful dog! Enjoy her. :)

Your opinion is the only one that counts, no matter what others think of her ancestry.

And if you don't know her original parents, her true make up is an educated guess. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
She looks GSD to me. I would think that people might think the Sable is another breed or mix. Most people think a B&T is the only coat color for GSD's.
My late GSD was described by my vet as a GSD mix when in fact she was a purebred AKC GSD. Some people don't think black is a GSD color! :eek:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Two beautiful dogs! I think having people ask about their breeding makes for a good opportunity to explain that the breed isn't just RinTinTin. But I can see how it could be annoying if it's a constant thing.

Next time someone asks you can say she is half gsd and half Berger Allemand
�� ��

1 - 20 of 24 Posts