German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving home tonight about 55-60 on my county road, following a Ford pickup. About 3 miles before home I passed a beautiful little GSD puppy (maybe 12 weeks old) by the side of the road in someone's front yard. I went on home, then got my husband and went back to make sure he was ok. We pulled up, he was leaning against a couple trash cans at the edge of the road. He couldn't get to us fast enough, so excited, and followed me up to the house. I asked the person if he was theirs, she said oh yeah. I told them he was out next to the road. She said well he can come in, but someone is supposed to come pick him up tonight. I said you're getting rid of him? Her husband said yep. I told them if no one showed up I would take him. Beautiful little black and tan boy, and so sweet. I was so angry at their attitude, the pick up and I (and every other car)could have hit him. I know she just had a baby, I bet they got him and now it's too much. I so wish I would have just opened the door, let him and headed home. My blood pressure is through the roof. I'm going for a drive in a little bit (in a different car) to see if he is outside again. :angryfire: and it's raining.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
OMG, I hate these situations where you can't do anything for an animal. Good for you to stop and check. I have an eye for animal misery. Are you going to check on him later to make sure he was adopted? My experience with CL is that there are a lot of no-shows.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Honestly, if you guys are able to take care of a puppy, I hope no one shows up! That puppy deserves a really good home, and, though I don't know how the current owners were advertising for a new home, it sounds like you would be a better fit than someone that may show up. I'm guessing they are advertising on CL, and that's always sketchy. Poor puppy!

·
Registered
946 Posts
You're a better person than me. Based off what you said and their attitude, I would have gone back to take it. I saw a neighbor would leave there weeks old kitten outside. Went on for days and I would lure it over to feed and care for him. I ended up taking it and brought it inside. My two cats are indoor. Had him for a few days until the neighbor kids came over asking if we seen him. My daughter answered the door so she turned him over. Would have gone differently if I answered the door.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
One of my fosters was taken from a neglectful owner. After about the tenth time the dog was loose and running in the street, they knocked on the door, said the dog was in danger and if the owner didn’t sign it over right away, they would call the police. The owner signed a relinquish statement and the rescuers took the dog. Go back and get the puppy if it’s still there. Make them sign something if you do.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're a better person than me. Based off what you said and their attitude, I would have gone back to take it. I saw a neighbor would leave there weeks old kitten outside. Went on for days and I would lure it over to feed and care for him. I ended up taking it and brought it inside. My two cats are indoor. Had him for a few days until the neighbor kids came over asking if we seen him. My daughter answered the door so she turned him over. Would have gone differently if I answered the door.

Well he was in the house, when I left so that might have been awkward, but yes I wish I would have just taken him. I can't believe he hadn't gotten hit. Plus they have a large bush by the driveway so no one could see him as they approached.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Good for you for trying to help. Poor little puppy. I hope things work out for the best for him.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he wasn't outside this morning. I'm stopping tonight to see if they still have him. I searched CL and local papers but couldn't find an ad for him.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not to make judgements or anything, but that family had to have known they were having a baby prior to getting this poor pup. I hope everything works out for him in the end!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I stopped and they told me the puppy was picked up last night. Hoping for the best for the little guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts