German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peone is my fear aggressive GSD. She bit a friend of mine a few years ago when we were at training. Last year I nearly had her put to sleep because she was lunging at people on our walks. I decided not to put her to sleep, give her a second chance and really work with her - before today we'd made so much progress and she didn't even glance at people walking by. No idea what went wrong today, she lunged out at a man, bit him on the leg - torn pants, a mark but no blood drawn - he said he was fine, I took down his number and checked again with him later once I was home, still said he was fine.

I honestly don't know what to do about Peone now, I don't want to have to put her to sleep, but I'm worried that if there's a next time that she either does more damage or that the person takes it a step further and has her removed from me. I look at her now lying next to me on the floor and I can't imagine her not being there. For every step we take forward I feel like we take 5 back
And rehoming her is not an option, she was shuffled around far to often before we got her, and I don't believe in passing her and her issues to someone else.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm posting here looking for advice or what, I just don't know where to go from here

·
Registered
27,212 Posts
I also have a fear aggressive 15 mo. old. I am trying to work her thru this, so I can't offer you any advice~I am sure you will get some knowledgeable answers. Do you muzzle Peone? I recently just got a mesh one and am getting Onyx use to wearing it. She will need it at the vet and I will use it if we are going to be in places where there are others close by. I don't see a problem w/ muzzling if needed.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Get a muzzle. Take some time to get her used to it, and make putting the muzzle on a positive thing (mark with treats, praise etc.). Then only take her out for a walk while she has it on. You are more relaxed knowing she cannot really bite anyone which in turn will make her more relaxed. This will buy you all the time you need to work with her on it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
There is a lot of training solutions that you can do to help with this or you could muzzle her in situations where this behaviour may be an issue. This is manageable but it is also a serious situation. It depends on what you are prepared to do for your dog.

My old dog had some similarities to yours and she lived until nearly 17yo because I was prepared to deal with her issues. I do not know your situation but you can PM me if you think I can help you in specifics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts