German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well not surprising Penny has been illness free for a few weeks now and bam! Probably time to be off to the vets again! Now she has this huge slice in her tongue...

We were over at a friends place for dinner last night and to let the dogs play and my friends dog body checked her and her tongue must have been out a little and she let out a small yelp and carried on playing but we noticed all the blood fairly quickly, so we took the dogs in and gave her some water and low and behold a fairly nasty gash through and through on the side of her tongue, its about 1.5cm in length. I called my vets emergency number (they only work till noon on Saturdays and not open Sundays and asked them what I should do) by this point it had stopped bleeding so much and only started to bleed when she was chewing a toy or treat/bone... The vet wrote down what the injury was and advised that tongues will bleed a lot and to just keep an eye on it and if it doesnt stop bleeding or she seems really bothered by it to give her a call back and she would go the to office and make an emergency appointment to stitch her tongue closed. She also advised just to soak her food in warm water for about 10 mins to soften it as she chews her food and doesnt just gobble it down...

So the night wore on and she did not seem bothered by it, it stopped bleeding completely but still looks nasty... It hasnt bled at all today and she ate her breakfast fine and was chewing a bully stick and it didnt bleed.... But Im just concerned with how really gross and painful (at least I would be in pain if it happened to me) it looks. The vet told me that she would call me first thing Monday morning to check in with me and see how Penny is making out and if I want to take her in to get checked out that she would get me in for an appointment pretty much right after the phone call...

So with it not bleeding, her eating normally, her tongue is not swollen and it doesnt seem to be bothering her should I take her in? What would you do? Ill attach a picture for you to see what it looks like so you can judge a little better.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would probably take her on for a check but Can they even do anything for a tongue? You figure us humans pierce our tongues with big holes and they eventually close up. It will probably always have a chunk missing though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
345 Posts
That is quite the cut. I am thinking either you take her in for one stitch, and it heals flush/smooth. Or you leave and watch it, and it heals funny. Just my opinion, no real facts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
my mom punctured a nasty gash all the way through her tongue shortly after anesthesia wore off a few years back. the doctors said the tongue should be left to heal by itself and hers was way worse then your pups. The vet might be able to put one stich in but im not sure it would be possible without putting the dog under.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I don't think you can stitch it now, started to heal in the split. May have to reopen the wound in order for the skin to mend together

1 - 6 of 6 Posts