German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep Penny in your thoughts as next week she has to have knee surgery to fix/remove the meniscus in her right leg. After she recovers she is facing another operation in her left leg, same problem. She has had problems in the past with her knee ligaments and we chose to try conservative management where you rest and allow scar tissue to form and stabilize the joint. Her surgeon feels that her knees are stable from the scar tissue but the meniscus became involved, like it often does, so he'll explore the joint and meniscus but won't stabilize.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Best of luck to you and Penny, we've been there - done that with Kodi (hip replacement). We too are facing another operation on the other hip.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Best wishes to Penny and hopes for a quick recovery. My Omy, our last gsd, had knee surgery and it went better than expected. She was diagnosed with a torn ACL but once the surgeon was in there it wasn't actually torn. So he took out the bone spurs and tightened up the joint. I think she was about 9 at the time and never had another problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hope all goes well for Penny. *hugs*

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
will keep Penny in my thoughts and prayers, please let us know how it goes..Good luck to both of you and hope it goes well:)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much. As the day comes closer I am becoming more nervous!

Rerun- don't you just hate being part of the bilateral club? That's one of the worst aspects for me as it's double everything- the worry, expense, chances for something to go wrong and recovery time. We will get through it though and Penny will be better for it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Thank you all so much. As the day comes closer I am becoming more nervous!

Rerun- don't you just hate being part of the bilateral club? That's one of the worst aspects for me as it's double everything- the worry, expense, chances for something to go wrong and recovery time. We will get through it though and Penny will be better for it.
Yes, it makes it so much worse because you wonder if all the time, money, and energy put into the first surgery will be for nothing if something goes wrong the second time around.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Penny's surgery was yesterday and it went well. Her meniscus was crushed and torn so every step she took on her right leg hurt her. He said everything else looked good. There was no ccl to be found, it had completely degraded, but his belief from manipulations and what he saw was that her scar tissue would support her fine, so no stabilization was done. A bit of arthritis was also found but at this point he didn't believe it to be causing Penny much pain based on where it was. So all in all this is a good report!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
great report,,saw this on the other board:) Glad she did well , she'll be up and about in no time,

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ya Penny! Glad to hear the good news.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Penny is doing quite well given she's only 3 days post op. Some bruising came up yesterday but today it is already less red. She's using the leg a little, kind of hopping along. She seems comfortable and has a good appetite.

1 day post op:

2 days post op:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
she looks good, and nice and sedate:)) Sami's leg looked exactly the same, did she get staples??

I pulled Sami's myself, it was just easier for me to do it vs put her thru the stress of the vet doing that as well as checking her over..One thing I did also find , the hair growing back can be 'itchy',,so you may see her a bit scratchy.

I also kept a good eye on the staples, my vet wanted to leave them in for 14 days, but by day 10, they were really "stretching" the skin, and I started removing them because they were becoming "buried"..

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diane- Penny does not have external stitches or staples that have to be removed- how cool is that. He said he closed her internally. I was really impressed with his handy work, the incision is healing well and continues to look great!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
that is great !!! I tell ya, after Sami had knee surgery, vet visits were really low on her list of "likes" :(( That will be great for Penny and you, and I'm so glad she's doing well !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts