German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked them all up i like OFA because it is a well established method with good numbers, what are other thoughts on them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add that to the mix as well. Pennhip looks good but i do not like how they do not say fair, excellent or normal, I do like how you can get a prelim for OFA and the correlation of what the prelim and the final rating will be is very closely matched (depending on age) i feel it allow the person to have a idea of what the hips will be like with a good amount of confidence. SV the little i do know is the cream of the crop base off the fact it is the German, german shepherd standard.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
This isn’t a case of which one is better... they’re looking at different things. Hip dysplasia is a blanket term that covers several conditions affecting the hip joint.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Depends on what you consider reliable. This gives a good powerpoint for why PennHip is "better", but it's obviously with bias: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/presentation/619c/21dd210e4955828d40e14bbcd0538df529dc.pdf

This is a summary of a research article done on PennHip vs. OFA - but once again with bias, as it is done by the University of Pennsylvania (creators of Pennhip):
NEWStat | Study compares PennHIP vs OFA hip dysplasia tests

And, zero endorsement to this breeder/page, but they did a nice job of summarizing the difference from their perspective:
OFA vs PennHip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts