German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did PennHIP on Logan now that he's at 4 months, and his hips came back scored poorly (in the 20% range). This upcoming week, we're doing the JPS (juvenile pubic symphysiodesis) surgery at the NC State Vet School. They're going to be neutering him while they have him under anesthesia - he's cryptorchid so they have to go digging for the second testicle (*cringe*).

Anyone have experience with either (or both!) procedures? My last shepherd had the JPS procedure and all h3ll broke loose on the operating table ... not due to the procedure specifically, but she had a bad reaction to the anesthesia, they discovered she had a blood clotting disorder, IBD ... and it was an all around bad time.

Despite -her- bad health experiences, I still thought it wise to get Logan tested. Since he scored so low, I think he'll be better off with the surgery than without in the long run ... but I'm a nervous mommy.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Scary ....

Hopefully you got a second (even 3rd) opinion on this before surgery. Really young pup so hate to jump the gun...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Will be praying and sending well wishes for your Logan.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought PennHips should be done after the puppy is at least 6 months old? Was this an ortho surgeon that you saw? If not, I would definitely recommend a second opinion!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, thanks ... I've talked to two vets at my vet practice (although I only count them as "one opinion" since they're at the same practice) and an orthopedic surgeon (the orthopedic department at NC State - again, multiple in one "business" counts as just one opinion, to me).

They do the PennHip starting at 4 months (16 weeks). The orthopedic surgeon likes doing it right at 4 months because then if the JPS surgery is necessary, it can be done early while the puppy is still growing and has the best chance of changing the growth pattern of the hips. At least, that's how they teach it at the NC State Vet School (where we're going).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh, ok. I had it stuck in my head it was 6 months. That means my little dog is due for hers too!

Good luck with little Logan and his sx. I'll be sending him healing thoughts!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!! When you go in for the PennHIP x-rays, good luck ... Logan did just fine with the x-rays, but he was sore afterwards from being all stretched out (cried all night actually, but he's a big baby ... shhh... I didn't tell you his secret! *grin*)

I hope your results turn out better ... out of his litter of 10, he was the only one who tested poorly. That's my boy ... "special"! ;)

:wub:

·
Registered
493 Posts
My Jones is a "special" boy, just like Logan. =) I always tell him he's lucky he's beautiful!

And thank you - I hope little Ziva's results come out better too. Jones' results weren't very good when we had them done, so I'm hoping we don't have 2 doggies with HD.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, ok. I had it stuck in my head it was 6 months. That means my little dog is due for hers too!

Good luck with little Logan and his sx. I'll be sending him healing thoughts!
Puffin - when I talked to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, he said they do PennHIP from 16-24 weeks ... so you were right about the 6 months. As early as 4, up to 6. :)

Logan's going under the knife today ... my house is so quiet without him around! My other dog and cat are enjoying the silence, but I keep getting nervous because I can't hear him. (If you can't see or hear puppy, you know they're in to mischief!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! And I totally know what you mean about quiet and puppies - it is never a good thing. Somehow they always know to be silent when they're doing something naughty.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for little Logan today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts