German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing for our arrival of a new girl at the end of this month. This will be my first GSD, as well as the first dog I've raised starting at the puppy stage. I've gone ahead and purchased a good crate with a divider that she can grow into, and would like to also set up a pen inside that can keep her contained when we are not nearby. I'm wondering if I can get away with something like this one that is 30 inches high:
http://www.amazon.com/Panel-GoGo-Black-Epoxy-Exercise/dp/B000I7QOM8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1292388520&sr=1-3

or if I need to go with something even higher. I like the portability of this one since we will be bringing the pup back from out of state and need to keep her contained for a few days at the in-laws house while we are in transit back home.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's a good pen, the only thing I don't like is the price. You can get wider pens for cheaper on sites such as ebay.

Congratulations on the new puppy!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Congrats on the new pup, and get plenty of rest now while you can! :):)

·
5,627 Posts
Congrats on the new pup. Is there a reason you are looking at a pen instead of a crate? Wire crates are just as portable as pen since most of them fold up and come with handle.

The pen will be ok while she is young but as she gets older, she may be able to jump over it or push it around in the house. I'm a fan of buying one thing that will last a long time and a nice 48" crate with a divider will work for the life of your dog.

Congrats on the puppy! Can't wait for pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a crate too, but really want something a bit larger, but still keeps puppy in one room, and will use the crate especially for night time. Our kitchen layout is a bit weird and would be a real pain to mark off with baby gates, and we have an adult cat in the house, so I want to discourage the urge to chase as much as possible. I am a bit worried about the bigger puppy moving it around as well.

·
5,627 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
X-pens are fantastic for keeping the pup in a safe enviornment in the house when you are in the house but not keeping a direct eye on them. We used a crate at night for Dante or when away, and an x-pen when he couldn't be 100% watched. The pen was set up in the main living area and stocked with rotated toys daily.

He loved it.

Just gating allows far too much freedom for most puppies if they aren't being watched.

OP - we used a 36" midwest x-pen for our last puppy and it was perfect. He was taught from day one not to jump on it, etc. Though when he would play hard or bump the sides laying down and moving around it would move around a bit.

Leerburgs website has some great videos on x-pen use that are worth watching.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all of your input. The videos over at Leerburgs and your post give me more confidence in my thinking. I have been reading up on the ways people have successfully socialized their GSDs with cats, and it does seem like there are several good strategies out there.

The down side for our cat is she is de-clawed so the old "let your cat show the puppy who's boss" attitude won't go very far. We have a two story home, so the cat will always have an escape route, but I would really like it if they can get along in the long term...not to mention have a well-mannered shepherd in the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts