German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a mixed breed dog who is nearly 11 years old and the absolute love of my life. One day she started not feeling well, almost like she had the flu. Out of nowhere she started developing sores and lesions on her ears. I took her to my veterinarian and over a period of many visits and many months, it's almost like we have been giving her placebos. She has been on different antibiotics and none have worked. She also has been on prednisone. My vet did x-rays, blood work, urinalysis, skin culture, and biopsied three areas after it spread to the area around her eyes. The results came back that she has a staph infection and pemphigus. I went to another vet for a second opinion- not that I doubt the lab results but because my vet has tried all the treatments he felt would work- and they (second vet) prescribed Clavamox, a high dose of prednisone, and another prescription (can't recall the name at the moment). She just started this new treatment today.

Has anyone had dogs with pemphigus? What were the treatments if they were successful? I have looked on the internet and done a lot of research, but I was curious to hear first-hand accounts. I cry nearly everyday just because her ears look so bad. She is strictly an indoor dog except for outdoor playtime, potty, etc. Thank God she is in no pain (that I know of) and otherwise acts pretty normal, but it still makes me sad.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pemphigus-foliaceus-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Has some good information.

There is another dog on this board who has it and has struggled-but the owners are trying everything. I think they were hampered by the very first vet they saw just not seeing it as serious enough-they spent a lot of money with that vet, but then saw a dermatologist and while he is not stabilized (he has sores that are more widespread) that seemed to help a great deal.

If you can go see a veterinary dermatologist I think you will have a great partner in treating her.

If you post your general location (nearest large city, state) people may have recommendations or you can check out:
http://www.acvd.org/site/view/55607_FindADermatologistAlphabetical.pml

I hope it all works out very soon!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the assistance. I am on the coast of North Carolina. My veterinarian called a dermatologist who visits our area every three weeks, but her next appointment isn't until August! Luckily, the vet I went to today has a dermatologist from Tennessee coming to his office on Friday and said that hopefully he will look at her. I will take her that afternoon and hope that he has time to evaluate her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts