German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my boy puppy ever lift his leg? His only daily contact of the K9 sorts is with our female dog. Is that why he isn't learning to lift his leg?

often the stream of urine hits the back of his front leg (duh!) haha, funny, but it'd be nice if he learned to lift ;)

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I totally agree with you! Hondo is 10 months old now, and a very impressive looking dog. We are in the yard with him and some friends and they are talking about what a great dog he is....and then he nearly squats and pees on his own front legs! They laughed and laughed.

Our Golden is a male, who pees like a male should. Hondo potties like a girl.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he's 8 months

we spent a day hiking with my buddies dog (a male) and i was hoping Cody might catch on...no luck lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They laughed and laughed.
Hi Lilie,

yep, some of my friends get a kick out of it too..i couldn't care less about that...it is darn funny. i just figure if he lifted the urine stream wouldn't hit his front leg so often

·
2,967 Posts
Argos didn't lift his leg until he was about a year old. It took longer for him to lift his leg consistently. Even now if he just has to pee he won't lift a leg. Cade just lifted his leg for the first time last week he's about 16 months old.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKlatsky, thanks for chiming in. sounds like there is still hope for Cody haha.

maybe when he starts to go i should lift it for him lol...totally joking

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
J is 14 months, he squats... My friend's Vizsla is 7, he squats, the dog I babysit is a female and she fully hikes her leg lol

Some will, some won't...

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
It all depends on the dog. Some males lift their leg sooner than others. I've seen males start as late as 18 months and some puppies, like my Cisco, start as early as 8 weeks old. My Aslan also started super early, probably around 10 or so weeks, can't remember. Ultro however was closer to a year before he started lifting his leg, same as Sam.

·
Registered
729 Posts
He's 3 years old now and I'm still waiting..... lots of burnt yellow spots on grass but my bushes look good anyway!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow! 3 years and still not lifting...at that point I'd think he never will.

bushes everywhere are celebrating lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah my male (Ace) is 17 months and he still pee's like a girl. Sometimes he does pee on his front feet..:sick:. About twice a week I have to just wash his legs & feet.

·
Registered
636 Posts
JKlatsky, thanks for chiming in. sounds like there is still hope for Cody haha.

maybe when he starts to go i should lift it for him lol...totally joking
My ex-roommate said they did that with their male beagle because they wanted him to lift his leg!! :rofl:
My male also took a while to lift his leg, but learned it from who knows where.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha, yeah. that was a joke ;) i'd be the laughing stock of the neighborhood lifting my dogs legs for him

1 - 20 of 59 Posts