German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 7 month old girl pees and lays down looking afraid when my husband gets the leash ready to take her outside. Almost every single time. She doesn't do this with me, but I also know not to talk to her. I wait for her to sit on her own by the door and then she's fine. It seems like if he calls her name or talks to her she pees. I cleaned quite the trail of pee up today. I've told him to not talk to her, and this works maybe some of the time. She seems to be afraid of him almost, but only in this situation... any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I think he is very dominating, with his booming and deep set voice. Even when he's telling her "good girl" to me he sounds like he's negative -- I can only imagine how she feels about it!

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Yes, she'll need to get used to him...have you both sat on the floor and called her to you (using very enticing treats) and played games like that with her? If not, try it.
You could even give him nicer treats than yours (or her favorites anyway). She needs to associate him with love and positive things :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get her to sit by the door first then ask him to approach her side on without making eye contact. Once he's got the leash try to attach it to the collar under her chin rather than over her head, ask him to try to bend down to her level before he gets to her, rather than leaning over her. She is feeling dominated by him from his voice and from his body language, he needs to use a calm quiet voice and body language that a dog considers not to be dominating. A straight approach and direct eye contact are very dominating, as is a hand over the top of the head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll pass along this info to him. He doesn't always listen to me, and gets very mad when I tell him he's doing something wrong. :p

She seems to /only/ do this when getting ready to go outside... otherwise she's normal with him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our 10 month old pup used to do this with my husband too. My husband didn't have the most patience with Koda, and Koda could sense it. We had to work hard with lots of positive reinforcement and holding hands out and letting Koda approach my husband and just getting more comfortable around him. They are finally in a mutually satisfying dog/owner relationship. It just takes time and effort. Definitely don't scold for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our 10 month old pup used to do this with my husband too. My husband didn't have the most patience with Koda, and Koda could sense it. We had to work hard with lots of positive reinforcement and holding hands out and letting Koda approach my husband and just getting more comfortable around him. They are finally in a mutually satisfying dog/owner relationship. It just takes time and effort. Definitely don't scold for it.
She does not do this with me at all. She's getting better with my husband, but I have determined that she pees because she's so used to the cycle of peeing/getting yelled at that now she anticipates the being yelled at and pees in fear. Clearly, this doesn't help. I have told my husband time and time again to just say "Okay, let's go outside" when she does this instead of getting all crazy and yelling, but he doesn't always listen. There HAS been improvement but he needs to be more consistent with her or it will continue to happen. I often volunteer to let her out to avoid the mess, but I know this is just managing the situation. Thanks for all of your responses.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We went through this too. With us it was normally excitement over my husband who played with less structure than I did. Sieger would take one look at him and start peeing on the floor becasue he wanted to play. Also when taking him out to go the bathroom in the morning I would try to have the door open and ready becasue he was so wiggly waiting for the door to he would spritz more...Thank Goodness for contcrete floors. I think my vet called it submissive peeing. IT can come from nerves or over excitement..as our case. She (the vet) said physical maturity is a big factor and most dogs will outgrow it. Larger breeds tend to grow out of it better than smaller breeds. He stopped around 9 months...then we had him neutered at 11 months and it came back for awhile. Now it is not a problem. Hopefully your girl will out grow it too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts