German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 7 month old East German Shepherd has started peeing every time my wife or I come home. We let him outside immediately but it doesn't seem to make a difference, he'll come right back inside and pee as soon as he gets near us. I'm not sure if he's just over excited or what is going on. Most days we leave him out of his crate and he's free to roam around the house and there hasn't been a problem. Any thoughts or suggestions on why he started this and how we can correct it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
Is this the only time he pees inappropriately? What is his body language? Is it hoppy and excited? Or ears back and showing submission?

I think either way, I would totally ignore him until he settles down. Don't even look at him, hands in the air where he can't self reward by touching them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this the only time he pees inappropriately? What is his body language? Is it hoppy and excited? Or ears back and showing submission?

I think either way, I would totally ignore him until he settles down. Don't even look at him, hands in the air where he can't self reward by touching them.

I totally agree. You could try only giving him attention (and I mean throughout the day, any time you're around him) when he is calm. That attention would be like touching him, loving eye contact, speaking to him.

Additionally, have you tried giving him a "job" to do as soon as you come in the door? Like have him get so busy with doing whatever it is that you've gotten him to do that he forgets his usual routine is to pee. Have him sit, or go lay down on a rug by the door, or bring you a toy, or anything. I'm not sure how to go about teaching that, but I think maybe if he gets focused on something other than the fact that you walked in the door, it might stop his peeing.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Our 7 month old East German Shepherd has started peeing every time my wife or I come home. We let him outside immediately but it doesn't seem to make a difference, he'll come right back inside and pee as soon as he gets near us. I'm not sure if he's just over excited or what is going on. Most days we leave him out of his crate and he's free to roam around the house and there hasn't been a problem. Any thoughts or suggestions on why he started this and how we can correct it would be greatly appreciated.
When did it start?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It might be just because he's over-excited to see you guys .
I had this problem with my pup as well,i think that stopped when he was about 1.5 years old
Every time i would come home i had to leave him outside,and as soon as i pet him,queue the river of pee.Same goes for my friends,whenever someone came to visit ,they knew they had to take Odin outside first,so his pee won't end up on the carpet.
As i said ,it will stop as soon as he matures a bit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Excitement peeing. It's pretty normal. As others has said try and ignore your pup and don't make a fuss over them when you get home or reach down/over them to pet them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts