German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Joey’s back legs are not good, I take him out about 5 times a day to pee and exercise his legs.

Lately I have trouble getting him outside in time before he starts to pee on the carpet.

Is there anything I can use on the carpet to keep him from peeing on it?

He’s 15 years old, so there may not be much I can do except do a lot of cleaning.

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Enzyme cleaner could help.

When Luc was around that age he was similar - though pooping was more his line. I think he was senile enough he thought 'Time to go to the bathroom!' rather than 'Time to go when outside!'

Reactions: Cheerful1

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enzyme cleaner could help.

When Luc was around that age he was similar - though pooping was more his line. I think he was senile enough he thought 'Time to go to the bathroom!' rather than 'Time to go when outside!'
I’m presently using Nature’s Miracle Advanced to keep things clean.

He mostly poops in his bed, although I’m getting better at judging when it’s “poop time” and I can grab a poop bag just in time.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
That sounds interesting!
It works. It’s made up of live enzymes and bacteria that chase down the pee molecules and devour them. I told someone about it with cat pee soaked into the floorboards of an apartment they rented and it literally got rid of the smell in a day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Poor boy but wow 15 years old. Any chance you could try taking him out a few more times during the day? It may or may not help. Our 14 year old never had a problem with holding his urine but I think I was constantly taking him outside as in every hour and a half.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poor boy but wow 15 years old. Any chance you could try taking him out a few more times during the day? It may or may not help. Our 14 year old never had a problem with holding his urine but I think I was constantly taking him outside as in every hour and a half.
He’s currently going out 5 times a day, but more frequently depending on how much water he drinks. Sometimes he makes it outside without a problem; other times it’s a close call.

He’s an amazing boy that we would do anything for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
He’s currently going out 5 times a day, but more frequently depending on how much water he drinks. Sometimes he makes it outside without a problem; other times it’s a close call.

He’s an amazing boy that we would do anything for.
Yes, I'm sure you would do anything to make him more comfortable. in the last 6 months of our 14 year old's life our boy was in a front harness and I had to help him walk through the house out the back door because of the steps out front. Some days were better than others. It was a labor of love and I knew he appreciated every minute we spent with him. The previous year he suffered from what was diagnosed as old dog Vestibular disease and actually was in a full harness for 3 months which required 2 people to get him outdoors. He did make a 60% or so recovery, so we were happy for that but had to get very creative in how we took care of his daily needs.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
No advice, just please give him snout kisses for me. ❤

·
Registered
57 Posts
5 times might not be enough for an old man with pee problems lol. Both my girls have no bathroom problems but they go pee a minimum of 4 times a day. So 5 doesn’t seem excessive for a senior.

If he’s just realizing he has to go to the bathroom too late, going out more probably won’t help a whole lot though if it’s hard to tell when he needs to go

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I'm sure you would do anything to make him more comfortable. in the last 6 months of our 14 year old's life our boy was in a front harness and I had to help him walk through the house out the back door because of the steps out front. Some days were better than others. It was a labor of love and I knew he appreciated every minute we spent with him. The previous year he suffered from what was diagnosed as old dog Vestibular disease and actually was in a full harness for 3 months which required 2 people to get him outdoors. He did make a 60% or so recovery, so we were happy for that but had to get very creative in how we took care of his daily needs.
Joey had Old Dog Vestibular Disease in 2017, and it was an extremely tough time. It took him about 2 months to recover.

He was actually walking fine until last May, when his back legs started giving out.

I’m physically lifting him up from underneath, using my hands as his harness and walking him to the backyard.

When we take him to the vet for his Adequan shot every other week, we use the harness to get him in the car.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5 times might not be enough for an old man with pee problems lol. Both my girls have no bathroom problems but they go pee a minimum of 4 times a day. So 5 doesn’t seem excessive for a senior.

If he’s just realizing he has to go to the bathroom too late, going out more probably won’t help a whole lot though if it’s hard to tell when he needs to go
Sometimes he whines, which is a sign to go out. Other times it’s guesswork.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, Vestibular disease is so debilitating and tragic. In our case the initial episode was very bad and we were given the choice of euthanizing or carrying him back home to try and rehabilitate. We chose the latter. He lay in one place for 1.5 days before finally relieving himself at 2am on Christmas day in -5 degrees outdoors. We were overjoyed at this success. Over the next 2 months he regained much of his lost abilities and was doing very well during the year. At about the 1 year anniversary of the 1st episode he had a second one and never really recovered. It was a rough time for us but we did get another year or more having him be with us so I am so glad we chose to bring him home after the 1st bout.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Joey had Old Dog Vestibular Disease in 2017, and it was an extremely tough time. It took him about 2 months to recover.

He was actually walking fine until last May, when his back legs started giving out.

I’m physically lifting him up from underneath, using my hands as his harness and walking him to the backyard.

When we take him to the vet for his Adequan shot every other week, we use the harness to get him in the car.
That sounds SO much like my 14 year old! She had a bout of vestibular disease last June, and that was the start of her downhill decline. I've been having problems with her pooping in the house (mostly in her sleep) for a number of months now. Last week, the vet diagnosed her with D.M. 😢

She can still manage the stairs to the yard, but I can see here declining a little bit more every week. Fortunately, there are no carpets in the house, so cleanup is pretty simple.

My main problem is keeping HER clean. She poops on her tail and 'bloomers' (back of her legs.)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds SO much like my 14 year old! She had a bout of vestibular disease last June, and that was the start of her downhill decline. I've been having problems with her pooping in the house (mostly in her sleep) for a number of months now. Last week, the vet diagnosed her with D.M. 😢

She can still manage the stairs to the yard, but I can see here declining a little bit more every week. Fortunately, there are no carpets in the house, so cleanup is pretty simple.

My main problem is keeping HER clean. She poops on her tail and 'bloomers' (back of her legs.)
I’m sorry about the diagnosis.

We don’t know if Joey has DM, arthritis, or something else. We’re afraid of subjecting him to anesthesia, MRI, etc. We will keep him as comfortable as possible.

I understand about keeping him clean.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, Vestibular disease is so debilitating and tragic. In our case the initial episode was very bad and we were given the choice of euthanizing or carrying him back home to try and rehabilitate. We chose the latter. He lay in one place for 1.5 days before finally relieving himself at 2am on Christmas day in -5 degrees outdoors. We were overjoyed at this success. Over the next 2 months he regained much of his lost abilities and was doing very well during the year. At about the 1 year anniversary of the 1st episode he had a second one and never really recovered. It was a rough time for us but we did get another year or more having him be with us so I am so glad we chose to bring him home after the 1st bout.
When Joey had his episode, we were at our weekend home in PA. We were fortunate to have found a local vet that diagnosed as Vestibular and not a stroke. We had Joey on Antivert and nursed him back to health. He hasn’t had an episode since. We don’t know what’s causing his leg weakness now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts