German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news, I've seen some improvement in Rylee around the house, he's not whining every single second of the day. He turned 9 weeks today. But it seems that he is peeing far too often. I've read almost everywhere that at about 2 months they should be able to hold it for 1.5 to 2 hours. Rylee is giving me 20 to 30 minutes TOPS! He will come from outside where he will do both and then come inside and 25 minutes later he's peeing again even without water. Its not even a lot of pee. It may just be a little. But its like he's not even trying to hold it. If there's anything in his bladder at all he just pees. Most times I will stop him and carry him outside and there's nothing left. Any suggestions?

Also I just get real excited and rub him & say good boy when he uses it outside. Should I try using the clicker and a treat? I havent because the trainer at PetSmart recommended that I dont use the clicker for potty training.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
That amount of time is night time and crated when you aren't home time. When you are home and he's awake, it's about every 20-30 minutes at this age to go out. The more active he is, the more often he has to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yikes, yeah that does sound fairly often. I'd have recommended pee pads, but hemight just tear those up. I know that's what my pup definitely would've done.

Just keep the nature's miracle handy (this will help a lot, if you don't have any, definitely pick some up...get the advanced solution) and be as patient as possible while he grows a little more and can control it. Try to be extra positive when he goes outside, have some of his favorite treats and have a party. I still have the occasional "accident" (usually me being at fault), but he got the idea after the first little while. Just be consistent with how often and where he goes to pee outside and always give treats. Eventually he will get it.

Good luck! I know how crazy it drove me, but stick it out. He could also still be adjusting to his new surroundings, so it could be from nervousness.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you aren't getting him out often enough and he's having accidents in the house, it can be very helpful to set an alarm so you can get him out more often. It's hard to remember to go out that often and the alarm is a good reminder. It's important to take him out as often as needed so he doesn't have accidents in the house. You don't want him to learn that it's ok to potty in the house. I wouldn't expect a puppy to even try to hold it at this age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts