German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 8 week old gsd and he so far is great. He came to use trained to use wee wee pads. I'm trying to get him outside but the problem I seem to be having is that he loves water and will take frequent drinks so he pees very frequently or he just never finishes peeing lol. He seems to play 20-30 mins runs over to a pad and pees just a little then gets distracted and plays more and 20 mins later pees a little more.lol If he takes a long nap as soon as he gets up I will rush him outside and he will pee a full amount. Can he just like peeing frequent or just a busy little bee that he doesn't want to waste too much time peeing? Should I limit the water at all? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With Madison the only time I took water away was at 9pm (an hour before bed) to limit having to get up through the night.

Toilet training Madison was constantly taking her outside. After every drink, outside, every nap, outside, every play, outside, every meal etc - I swear I was out there more than inside! But it worked.
Our breeder had her trained for wee wee pads too but I took them away to avoid confusing my pup! Yes there was a few accidents at first but I didn't make any fuss, just picked her up mid stream (they stop) and took her straight to the back door to make her walk outside on the leash.
The toilet training was just soooo constant, took ALOT of patience and freezing my butt off (I live in Scotland!) but it was so very worth it.

I hope something in my reply helps with your wee one, good luck :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Is the pad inside or outside? You might want to start phasing out the pad by putting it outside, then every two hours, take him outside and put him on it. Every time he pees on it, give lots of praise and treats. Anytime you go out to potty, make it just about pottying: no playing, no fun stuff other than praise after he pees/poos.

How much water is he drinking a day?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this sounds normal. my pup had access to water all day.
i took the water bowl away at 7:00 pm. i took my pup
out every 15 minutes when i first got him. every 15 minutes
became every 1/2 hour, every 1/2 hour became every 45 minutes
and so on. get rid of the pee pads and take your pup out often.
you have to watch your pup closely because he's going to look
for the pads and probably go where the pads were. plus you
don't want him finding a new place to go. outside is the new place.

We have an 8 week old gsd and he so far is great. He came to use trained to use wee wee pads. I'm trying to get him outside but the problem I seem to be having is that he loves water and will take frequent drinks so he pees very frequently or he just never finishes peeing lol. He seems to play 20-30 mins runs over to a pad and pees just a little then gets distracted and plays more and 20 mins later pees a little more.lol If he takes a long nap as soon as he gets up I will rush him outside and he will pee a full amount. Can he just like peeing frequent or just a busy little bee that he doesn't want to waste too much time peeing? Should I limit the water at all? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Much the same here. When Lisl came we were outside every 20 minutes and after every;

Nap
Play period
Drink
Eating

And sometimes just to go out and play, and she'd pee or poop then too.

They'll catch on quickly if you help them. But they won't learn anything if you don't teach them what it is you want.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We brought Baron outside after everything. Nap/pee, eat/pee, play/pee....etc.
Also, we brought him to the same section of grass every time. When he went, he got a standing ovation, and a treat. He was done with house training a couple of weeks ago. 12 weeks old.
Just what we did.

Edit:We use a crate at night. For the first week, or so. He would wake me up to go outside. We didn't talk at night, just a quick 'good boy' then back to sleep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. I will take his water away at night. He doesn't drink a huge amount at once, he seems to be an all day sipper lol. I will start with the every 15-20 mins out today, after naps, after play and see how it all goes. I have 2 other gsds but none ever came to me paper trained. Thanks so much again for the advice. The only other issue I have is introducing him to our 19 month old gsd. The 19 month old is very high strung, constantly wags his tag with the puppy, has never growled or raised his hair yet but since he is so much bigger I'm afraid he may hurt the baby. They have only been together leashed but if the 19 month old even stepped on the baby he can hurt him. What age is ok to let them play unleashed and how would I know if the 19 month old would hurt him? I don't believe he would but if the puppy bit him hard or kept being annoying who knows.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The only other issue I have is introducing him to our 19 month old gsd. The 19 month old is very high strung, constantly wags his tag with the puppy, has never growled or raised his hair yet but since he is so much bigger I'm afraid he may hurt the baby. They have only been together leashed but if the 19 month old even stepped on the baby he can hurt him. What age is ok to let them play unleashed and how would I know if the 19 month old would hurt him? I don't believe he would but if the puppy bit him hard or kept being annoying who knows.
I'd let them play off leash for short periods of time rather than on leash. The puppies teeth can get caught in your other dogs collar...won't be pretty trying to get him uncaught. Your older dog also needs to be able to move away from the puppy if he wants to. He can't do that on a leash. :)

Arm yourself with plenty of treats and the moment you think the older dog is getting annoyed or too rough, call him off and treat. Watch and make sure your older dog doesn't decide to start guarding his toys. Put them away when the puppy is out if you have to.

Fair warning. Your older dog will more than likely correct the puppy at some point. It's normal but can sound horrible.
I wouldn't worry too much about the bigger dog breaking the small one, pups are tougher than you think and older dogs are usually pretty good about knowing the difference between an adult and a puppy. Just make sure you don't leave them together without supervision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts