German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have been lurking this forum for a couple months now, and Last month I brought home my first pup.

He is currently 11 weeks old. So that's 2 1/2 hours he's capable to hold it.

His crate, for the moment, is perfect size. He has room to sit, stand, turn around and stretch out, but that's all the room he has.
I pull his water about 1 hour before bedtime, and take him out side RIGHT before bed (bedtime is around 11pm).

Every morning I wake up and he is laying in his urine.

His crate is right next to my bed, and he doesn't bark or cry during the night. He starts crying when my alarm starts going off at 6am. I immediately let him out, but it's always too late, he has already gone in the crate. But he does pee when we go out.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, and searching similar threads isn't helping. I feed him all 3 meals in his crate and at first he wouldn't go in there.

If you need more information please let me know, I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm sick of bathing him every morning and I know it's going to dry out his skin, but I don't want him covered in pee.....:(

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi guys, I have been lurking this forum for a couple months now, and Last month I brought home my first pup.

He is currently 11 weeks old. So that's 2 1/2 hours he's capable to hold it.

His crate, for the moment, is perfect size. He has room to sit, stand, turn around and stretch out, but that's all the room he has.
I pull his water about 1 hour before bedtime, and take him out side RIGHT before bed (bedtime is around 11pm).

Every morning I wake up and he is laying in his urine.

His crate is right next to my bed, and he doesn't bark or cry during the night. He starts crying when my alarm starts going off at 6am. I immediately let him out, but it's always too late, he has already gone in the crate. But he does pee when we go out.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, and searching similar threads isn't helping. I feed him all 3 meals in his crate and at first he wouldn't go in there.

If you need more information please let me know, I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm sick of bathing him every morning and I know it's going to dry out his skin, but I don't want him covered in pee.....:(
What you are missing is that your puppy is evidently not yet capable of holding it overnight. He is not whining to get you up - either he doesn't know to try it, or he doesn't mind lying in his own mess. It isn't all that unusual. I had one like this.

You need to set your alarm for the middle of the night and take him out. Don't assume he's going to tell you. You might have to play with the alarm time until you figure out the schedule that has him clean and dry all night. Don't rule out that you might have to get up more than once a night for a bit. Once you have the schedule working, start making the times he's in the crate longer as he gets older. Do it slowly - maybe 15min per week or you'll set yourself back. Eventually he'll be sleeping in the crate all night with no problems.

BTW, this is also a heads-up that you might not be able to rely as much on the crate to help you with day time potty training, either. Set a schedule there, too and don't rely on your pup whining to let you know he has to go.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
First thoughts:

Your going to have to take him out more often at night even if he's not signaling. I remember many trips outside at midnight, 3am...rain, storms...them my alarm goes off for work. lol Just get it done!

Also, maybe try removing the water dish a couple of hours before bed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't actually have our puppy just yet but from everything I have read one here, I am expecting to get up a few times through the night for the first little while.

Try not to make a big deal about what's in the cage (not saying you are) and just praise as much as you can when he goes outside.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stated that I remove his water 1 hour prior to bedtime

He does not go in his crate during the day. I let him out in the am before I leave at 630am, and my hubby lets him out before he leaves at 9am, then he returns at noon to feed him and let him out. I get home at 330 and let him out, then he is out of his crate until bed.

So should I start at 3 hour increments during the night??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
381 Posts
Definitely take the dish away at least 2 hours before. Also, try 3 hour increments and increase as long as he doesn't have an accident. Our pup is the same age... we go to bed by 10, I set the alarm for 2 and I get up at 5 to take him out, feed, walk before work. I'm not a morning person in the slightest and it's really rough on me, but at least I'm only getting up once in the middle of the night at this point.

Also, make sure you use a product to properly clean the pan. If not, the puppy will still smell it and think it's a place to go potty.

Good read here... may help: House Breaking Your German Shepherd Puppy

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would remove the water earlier (though I personally don't remove water at all, but I haven't had this problem) and the main thing is get up at night and let him out. It's rare that puppies can hold it all night at this age, but usually they whine to go out. If yours does not, I would get up. I have an 11 week old and the only times he's slept "through the night" so far are times I've gone to bed late *and* got up early. On normal nights I let him out once, sometimes twice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Haha I actually read all of that before I even found him. They made it sound so easy, I was walking around with my head held high like "Oh I'll have my pup potty trained in a week!"

Yeah, not so much lol

I also found out the hard way that he has to go about 5 minutes after drinking water! 20 minutes and he has already gone twice!

Other than this issue, he is by far the most perfect puppy I could ask for, and I pulled his water at 8, and I'm going to bed after this.

He has gotten a great amount of exercise chasing my cat back and fourth all evening, hopefully he's pooped and sleeps well!

At what age do you stop closing the door on the crate at night? I always feel awful locking him in that thing...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I would pull the water no later than 2000 and food no later than 1900. Set your alarm for 0100-0300-and your normal waking time at 0600 and see if that will help.

This stage won't last long. Lisl was sleeping through the night at around 9-10 weeks. Don't forget to pull the water and go outside every 20 minutes until bedtime to empty her out.

That is the key. Don't leave anything in her to pee out. :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hope all works out. I had to set the alarm every two hours for Fiona when she was young. About when you can keep the door open at night, your puppy will let you know. I had firmly set in my mind that I would not do it before 6 months. At 4 months, I gave Fiona a trial. I let her sleep in bed with me. No disasters, nothing destroyed. She has not slept in her crate since. But if your pup does not do well with the freedom into the crate again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 10 week old puppy..no overnight accidents.
When we first got him at 8 weeks, my husband got up 2-4 times a night to take him out..basically every 2-3hours. He whined when he had to go, so that helped. One night he either didn't whine, or we didn't hear him, because we woke up to a pee-covered puppy. So we set an alarm for around 4am to take him out.
Now, it's either once during the night, or not at all. Between when I go to bed (around 11-midnight) and when my hubby gets up between 6-8am, he is holding it. Finally! In most puppies, at 11 weeks old, they should be able to hold it for up to 5 hours or so. But that's only if they know how to "hold it."

Since he is ok with laying in his own mess, you may have to set your alarm for a few times a night for a week or so to "catch him" before he has made a mess. After a few nights, decrease the number of times you're getting up. Once you've taught him to pee on a schedule, you should be able to get him to hold it through the night..provided you aren't sleeping for 10 hours!

Hope some of this helped..Blitz is our 3rd dog and I'd like to think we made every possible mistake with our first two and finally have it down to a science..(but I'm sure now that I've said that, he's going to prove me wrong,LOL!) Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts