German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, for the first time, I left Pepper (5.5 mo) in the crate for about 4 hours since I had to go out. I came back to find her having peed in the crate. She's been completely potty trained for about 2 months now...but I do take her out every 2-3 hours or so. I would think she should have been able to hold it for over 5 hours by now. She does hold it all night. Is this normal?

·
Registered
386 Posts
did you try dividing the crate so she doesn't have much room to do anything other then turn around and laying? german shepherds "usually" don't mess where they sleep.. but if you give them room they will find a corner or what not... but i have seen on this site about pups that go in their crate and cover themselves with it :crazy:

or maybe slight separation anxiety? i usually stick my pup in the crate for a couple hours while im home, but he's usually with me EVERYWHERE i go... he has even been in my car for 2 hours straight and was perfect.. he didn't mess in the car nor tear my car apart!!! lol

·
Registered
490 Posts
Probably just had to go.

I let Arlo out last night around 10pm and went to bed (i dont think he went). He was clawing on his crate crying around 4am. He had to go bad,. Ran an jumped at the door.

Usually his las potty break is around 10pm an he gets let out again around 11am so 13 or so hours no problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
my pup was able to hold it for about 5 hours at 2mo... then i would scoop him up and run down stairs and set him in the grass... but now he's almost 3mo and he goes to the door, but if i don't see him go downstairs to the door he ends up piddling on the floor... thank god its linoleum.. but he will hold his poop untill he bursts!!! LOL

im not sure why a 5mo would pee in the kennel after only 4 hours.. what is they say, 1 hour per month up to 8 hours?
do you let him go before you crate him? sometimes you have to stand outside w/ them and wait for them to go (at least thats what mine does and it drives me nuts in cold weather)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most probably an accident. She must have been excited and not relieved herself fully before she went in the crate. Do not play or excite her up to an hour before you leave and if you do, make sure you follow the amount of water she drinks and then how much she pees. If she drinks half a gallon and only lets some squirts out, it means she obviously has to pee again... you get the point.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if she had to go she had to go. maybe she can't hold it
for 3 or 4 hours yet. i never made my dog hold it
for more than 3 hours, i always had someone come in
and take him out for a break every 3 hours. my dog is 3 yrs. old now and i still have someone come in every 3 hours/4hours to let him out
and give him a snack. in due time your dog will be able to
hold it longer.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If it it the first time you left her crated (during the day) for that length of time she may have just tried to hold it, but after 3-4 hours and you didn't appear, she couldn't hold it anymore. If you plan on staying a bit longer, make sure you give her an opportunity to fully empty her bladder beforehand (a quick potty might not work) and work up to the longer lengths of time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My 5 month old goes about 7-8 hours at night (stop water hour before bed). During day we can go out for 4 hours without a problem. But still to this day we leave a litte puphead in his x pen in case it just has to happen (you can research them on the net). This turned out to be a lifesaver when he got the runs one day when we were out. He actually did it on the artificial grass pup head and it was an easy cleanup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts