German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 11 week old puppy was doing awesome in the crate (overnight and during the day). All of the sudden she started to pee in the crate. I wonder if it's the fact that she's been having diarrhea and our vet put her on antibiotics. She started to pee in the crate on Saturday (the same day she started on antibiotics). Now I'm afraid that she'll think it's ok to pee in the crate. What shoud i do? :help:

·
Registered
262 Posts
since when have you been letting your puppy stay overnight in the crate without a break ? I've read in a few places (in this forum and on the net) that under 16 weeks of age we still need to let the puppy out for their potty and pee break every 3-4 hrs. Their bladder is very small and holding it in for an entire night is a recipe for UTI.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband (men - non pun intended) left some details out :crazy:! Come to find out, she had pee in the "pee area" that I have set up in case she can't hold until my husband can come home during lunch to let her out. She never pee in the crate :D (well she did once on Sunday and I still think it's the antibiotics that she's on). She hasn't pee in the crate itself since. And at night I'm near her so I can hear when she whines and I let her out of the crate and go outside to go potty. So I think she'll be fine. I guess i should expect some accidents until she's fully trained. She did pull on her leash this morning to go out :happyboogie:. Don't want to jinx but I think she's starting to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My pup has never been given a crate big enough to pee in. When we could not come home at lunch when he was a munchkin, we had a x pen on tile floor, with an open crate and a puphead with artificial grass on it.

Artificial, outdoor rock and real grass are the only things he associates with peeing.

All the way to about 15 weeks I let him out every few hours. Now he sleep 7-8 hours a night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts