German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so tired! Every time I turn around our 13 month old intact male is tasting his pee and other dogs here and there. He also likes to sneak poop snacks 'thankfully from only vegetarian animals thus far', it's so disgusting. What is up with these behaviors? I discourage it for the time being, but hue is really persistent. Will he grow out of this? What are the reasons for this?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
It is all perfectly normal

Dog has a scent organ in the floor of the nasal cavity called the vomeronasal organ which is particularly useful in detecting pheremones which tell them a lot about members of their species (and others) -- "tasting" is how they get scent to it. I could usually tell a friend when her female was going into heat before she could because Grim would lick it, eyes glaze over, he would drool, and his teeth would chatter and that seems to be a standard response.

Rabbits eat their own poo and they are designed too because are a lot of nutrients and digestive enzymes that make a 2nd trip through the system healthy for them. Most vegetarian animals have very nutritious poo -- I imagine for wild canids it is a good way of getting those enzymes.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
My male does the same thing, I also considered it to be normal. As for the rabbit and deer poop, it is a race with mine of a morning to see who is going to find it first. :p My male is 3 yrs old, so I don't think it is something that they will grow out of. When my boy was a pup he would eat other dog poop if you did not get it picked up quick enough, now that he did grow out of, thank goodness. :eek:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ugh! Fiona licks the ground where other dogs pee. She eats any other animal poop she can find, even bird. Then she wants to lick my face.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts