German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love some help understanding what I'm looking at with these two.

Cronos del Seprio

TITLES VA3/IPO3/KKL
HIPS SV: HD A-NORMAL (A1)
ELBOWS SV: ED A-NORMAL (A1)
RANKING 3RD DOG IN THE WORLD (BSZS)

Britt von der Wannsee

TITLES VA2/VA/V1/SG1/IPO1/KKL
HIPS SV: HD A-FAST NORMAL (A2)
ELBOWS SV: ED A-FAST NORMAL (A2)
RANKING 2ND DOG IN POLAND

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Cronos del Seprio

TITLES VA3/IPO3/KKL
HIPS SV: HD A-NORMAL (A1)
ELBOWS SV: ED A-NORMAL (A1)
RANKING 3RD DOG IN THE WORLD (BSZS)

Titles: VA3 - This is a conformation title. The VA rating means 'excellent select' and is the highest that can be given and is only given to the top 10 dogs in Germany at the yearly Bundessieger Zuchtschau (BSZS). This is the most prestigious show in the world for the German show line German shepherds, and that's why they say Cronos is the '3rd dog in the world'.

IPO3 is a working title, and is the current equivalent of what used to be called a Schutzhund 3. https://denisefenzi.com/2012/04/protection-training-ipo/

KKL means the dog has been breed surveyed, and approved as suitable for breeding by the German registration body (the SV - Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde.)

Hips and elbows A1 - his hips and elbows have been evaluated (x-rayed) and rated by the SV as free of any problems. A1 is the best rating that can be given.

Britt von der Wannsee

TITLES VA2/VA/V1/SG1/IPO1/KKL
HIPS SV: HD A-FAST NORMAL (A2)
ELBOWS SV: ED A-FAST NORMAL (A2)
RANKING 2ND DOG IN POLAND

Britt has been shown at the Polish equivalent of the German BSZS, and came in second place (VA2), so ranks as the second best dog in his country. No idea why they bothered repeating the VA title. At previous shows, he was given a V1 rating (excellent) and an SG1 rating (sehr gut = very good). The SG1 rating is the highest rating that can be given to dogs between 12 and 24 months.

He has an IPO1 working degree, the first level of IPO training. (Actually, the very first level is the basic obedience test, the BH.) His hips and elbows are rated as A2, which is not perfect, but still acceptable for breeding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you! Britt is actually a dam. There's a litter between these two due in June with a breeder (Zeal von Zes) a couple hours away.

I'm trying to gauge the overall program by looking at the pairings, and from my limited knowledge they look really good. I want to get a feel for what to expect in a puppy before I waste anyone's time with phone calls and visits. The kink on the works: I already put down a deposit on another litter from a different breeder for fall/winter, but I'm realizing I don't have to be married to that choice since it was a decision probably made too early in my research.

I've also found what looks like a good Schutzhund club/trainer about 40 miles away...O.G. Bierstadt Schutzhund Club in Wisconsin, if anyone knows anything.

ETA: I don't see that the breeder is doing their own titling, but considering the dogs themselves, can that be overlooked?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I've done more thread reading, and I'm understanding the "Sieger isn't everything"/"it's politically biased" picture loud and clear. I assume placement is not a primary concern, but the whole performance package. (As in, some people had a clear preference for #2 and #3 in the 2017 show over Gary vom Huhnegrab based on his mush-mouth defense performance)

Another question: When looking at show lines, *should* their IPO performance match that of a WLGS?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Okay, so I've done more thread reading, and I'm understanding the "Sieger isn't everything"/"it's politically biased" picture loud and clear. I assume placement is not a primary concern, but the whole performance package. (As in, some people had a clear preference for #2 and #3 in the 2017 show over Gary vom Huhnegrab based on his mush-mouth defense performance)

Another question: When looking at show lines, *should* their IPO performance match that of a WLGS?

I’m not an expert, but I like WGSL and Czech WL as my lines, just from my own personal experiences. I would be inclined to say no.

Not saying there aren’t impressive SL dogs out there, but I personally would never expect a highly regarded show line breeding to produce a dog to go toe-to-toe with a high quality working line breeding for IPO work.

This is a dog I very much like myself, but I mean... look at the helper. No baton. Just a nice... “grr”.

Reactions: Mame

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That photo is awesome...lol.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I will give you the PC answer, there are good working dogs in all lines and not so good performance dogs in all lines. As to the percentages......depends on who you talk to. If you get a pup and go to the Sch club near you I think you will be enlightened. Good Luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been looking at videos until my eyes bleed, so I'm forming a pretty good idea of the differences. I've seen some seriously impressive Mal performances, too, though. Pretty amazing sight for a noob.

ETA: Hoping this link works... https://www.facebook.com/huy.say.9/posts/1622135471175276

1 - 9 of 9 Posts