German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my dogs Pedigree from AKC today. I had them go back 3 generations. Since the abbreviation key on the back is so thorough, my only questions on this are from a few dogs that are a ways back. The pedigree is showing 4 seperate German bloodlines. Some of the dogs though have strange registration numbers. Whats strange is instead of "DN" starting the number it is an "SZ". Also there are several, with the German lines that start with a "DL".

What are these designations for? Do they identify different Kennel Organizations?

To me, it's interesting. There are lines starting in Germany and one from Canada then to the US. Makes me wish I would have gotten the four generation pedigree. I'm just relieved that there were plenty of Hip and elbow check abbreviations on here. Not a gaurantee but it affords me alittle piece of mind that he comes from decent bloodlines with good hip and elbow confirmations.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. The desigantions in front of the registration numbers is what I'm curious about. The link you gave me is almost exactly what on the back of the pedigree. But some of it isn't, so thanks!

Do you know if all pertinent information or abbreviations are on the pedigree? For example, if a dog was a showdog, would it show on the pedigree or would you have to dig further in a database somewhere to find it? Do they miss abbreviations sometimes that may be recorded somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done some investigating and say with confidence that the pedigree you recieve should be only taken at face value. In other words it's a good starting point as it gives you "some" information on lineage. They do not necessarily show all titles and such on the pedigree, or at least the one I got from the AKC.

As for what I'm finding is reaffirming my suspisions with Cruz's drive and natural tendancies when we're playing. I'm finding the abbreviation SHH on a quite a few relatives pedigree profiles. From the abbreviation lists, more than one, SHH relates to Schutzund training.

Just thought I'd update my findings. I'm using the pedigree database on line. It's nice because now I can go even further back into his pedigree and so far I've been back to the mid 1980's. This stuff is cool.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
DN and DL are AKC numbers; SZ are German. AKC will only show titles they recognize. For example my dog has about 20 titles but I don't think a single one would show up on his AKC pedigree since I compete in almost every venue *but* AKC.

·
Registered
874 Posts
so a lot of SZ numbers will be german ...would this still mean a pet line? Also on Roxy's pedigree 5 generation there are a TON of SCH #'s

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
so a lot of SZ numbers will be german ...would this still mean a pet line? Also on Roxy's pedigree 5 generation there are a TON of SCH #'s
The SZ #'s are all german registration numbers.

When people refer to "pet lines", they're most talking about washed out american lines. No titles, pets that have bred pets that have bred more pets. No titles in any venue. No real goals. Stuff you'll typically find on craigslist for $400/pup.

If you're seeing sch titles and SZ numbers, those are not what's considered pet lines.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Not a lot but all. If the dog is registered in Germany, the registration number starts with SZ. It doesn't matter what line.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a lot but all. If the dog is registered in Germany, the registration number starts with SZ. It doesn't matter what line.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thanks for the coversation on this and reaffirming the "SZ" designation on the registration number, but I still have some registration numers starting with "DL"???? The further I went back on his bloodlines, the more I seen SCHH1-3. This stuff is interesting.

But it relieves me to know Cruz likely has the skills to train with Schutzund. I'm interested and am going to look into it. He needs an energy outlet big time!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DN and DL are AKC numbers; SZ are German. AKC will only show titles they recognize. For example my dog has about 20 titles but I don't think a single one would show up on his AKC pedigree since I compete in almost every venue *but* AKC.

Would this be due to the owner not updating pedigree info with the AKC? I noticed when registering on the database, it says it's up to the owner to keep the database updated on it's dogs titles ect. It's a great site though.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

Thanks for the coversation on this and reaffirming the "SZ" designation on the registration number, but I still have some registration numers starting with "DL"???? The further I went back on his bloodlines, the more I seen SCHH1-3. This stuff is interesting.
I'm not sure what you mean. DL------ is an AKC registration number. The dog can have whatever titles it earns regardless of how/where it is registered. The AKC registration doesn't have anything to do with Schutzhund titles, other than saying it's likely a Schutzhund title is not going to show up on an official AKC pedigree, since the AKC does not award or recognize those titles, if that's what you mean.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts

Would this be due to the owner not updating pedigree info with the AKC? I noticed when registering on the database, it says it's up to the owner to keep the database updated on it's dogs titles ect. It's a great site though.
The pedigree database is not associated with AKC in any shape or form. It is not an official site of any Kennel Club organization, just a convenient on-line tracking system that is completely user driven.

AKC will only show titles earned through sanctioned AKC matches, shows and venues, that is why titles earned through other organizations other then AKC (or CKC - Canadian Kennel Club), will not be printed on an AKC pedigree.

·
Registered
874 Posts
so the pedigree database isn't the same as the AKC? Which is more accurate then to see the ancestry? When I pull up on the pedigree database Roxy's I think great great grandpa ( so to speak) I get Maj Cantos Vom Prairie Haus -- looking back on his side there are a lot of SCH #s

so I am not sure how when I ask people to look at the AKC they can tell me that Roxy comes from a pet line??? Anybody else wanna help? :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
so even if a dog out of the lineage doesn't show big star accomplishments on the AKC -- if it shows on the pedigree database there is a chance the dog is more than a pet line? OR did some of the ancestors come from pet line and just happen to be really good at this other stuff?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Can you post the dog you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure what you mean. DL------ is an AKC registration number. The dog can have whatever titles it earns regardless of how/where it is registered. The AKC registration doesn't have anything to do with Schutzhund titles, other than saying it's likely a Schutzhund title is not going to show up on an official AKC pedigree, since the AKC does not award or recognize those titles, if that's what you mean.

What I was getting at was since the letters "sz" were. German registration, I was looking at different letters meaning different "kennel" clubs.

As far as the titles go, I understand now. I figured the database was not affiliated with other clubs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
it looks to me like on the AKC papers that Roxy's mom and dad should be listed on the AKC site but I cant' find them...

the dams name is Fran Von Coco ( her name is in blue and should show up...I can't find it) ..and the sires name is Muggins Gustov neither of them show up on the pedigree database and I cant' find them on the AKC even though they are on the paper I have in front of me...a 5 generation AKC pedigree

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Maj Cantos Von Prairie Haus -- that would be my dogs great great grandfather I think.
This dog is a west German show line

1 - 20 of 39 Posts